DIY projects parts cost
Jan 21, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #61 of 73
I've updated the disclaimer on the 1st post. Let me know what you think of it. If you think it can be written better then tell me, i will not be offended.

I will add links later. Probably just to the relevant project web page as opposed to linking it straight to the BOM.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #62 of 73
My dynahi looks like it's final cost is: $422.00

Case $50.00
PSU $190.00
2 Amp boards $152
Heatsinks $30.00

That's with no volume pot. It also includes and shipping charges. Now I don't how many hours it will take for me to finish but I'll guess at around 20

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #63 of 73
sbelyo, you probably have one of the cheapest dynahi builds around.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found that the little things that gets overlooked often adds significantly to the actual cost with the dynahi, and that means all the hardware (screws, nuts, washers, brackets, etc). In my build, I have separate chassis for the amp and the psu and that makes it even more so.

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #64 of 73
It looks like it. I used all Toshiba transistors from B&D, Dale resistors, panasonic caps. I didn't skimp on anything

It may be slightly closer to $450.00

I forgot the $12.00 I spent on some sorbothane feet and $7.00 on RCA jacks and LED holders. Oh and few $ for some wire and I always have tons of screws and nuts.

It may be because I don't use a volume control in the amp (I use a passive pre-amp). I didn't use any front mounted switches (I like to use those qualtek power inlet modules). I got a good deal on my par metal case and heatsink on ebay. And I only spent $30.00 for my transformer. So most likely that's what's keeping it below $500.00

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #65 of 73
eek.gif
Maybe I ought to rethink building a Dynamite until I hit the lotto
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #66 of 73
I know my thoughts of building one have been back-burnered until I can at least get a couple of things wrapped up. It's hard to think about dropping that kind of coin after just having spent that much in the last week (nearly) to "finish up" a few lingering projects...

Nate

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #67 of 73
if the quote from rockhopper audio is too pricey i might consider a DIY millet. However id like more planning in terms of cost as i dont want to spend tons. I like francis' approach. You could simplfi it with 3 categories, budget,standard,premium. Then in a sub area you could include extras such as psus, cases accessories.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #68 of 73
You just need to know how to make a decision and stick with it. If you design the board correctly, you can upgrade parts in the future (for certain items that differ in size).
Also, you can do a lil of this.. lil of that. This can easily go to none of this.. all of that.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #69 of 73
I understand the less-than-positive comments, and agree in principle. Yet, this is a great thing for the noob like me. The customization and accessory effect is probably understood by anyone who's ever done anything do-it-yourself, including "sweat-equity" in your home, or accessorizing your car.

Like some have mentioned, though, the relative costs and the board-populated basic BOM's should be fairly consistent. Even so, the other comments in dissension have been helpful as well. Reading this thread has greatly improved my understanding of both basic costs, cabinet costs, and botique components in selecting these amplifiers. As a matter of fact, the simple fact of listing all of the popular DIY offerings is a milestone of sorts.

So, I think this is great. Many thanks to Dave_M for the effort, and all the other commentors, too.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
If my wife had any idea how much I spend on DIY stuff she'd kill me. She prolly thinks my PPA cost $10...

Wife usually thinks that DIY=cost saving/cheaper
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
Wife usually thinks that DIY=cost saving/cheaper
biggrin.gif

If it's not one addiction, it's another.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #73 of 73
Maybe add the SOHA tube amp but i am not sure on costs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back