DIY projects parts cost
Jan 18, 2006 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Dave_M

100+ Head-Fier
Here you will find a list of the different DIY projects and there APPROXIMATE cost to build. The costs listed are the costs to build the project "stock" (what you will need to pay to populate the board by closely following the origonal design). It DOES NOT include the cost of the case and power supply. This (i hope) makes it easier to use the information so you can add up the costs depending on what you're trying to do. Do not forget to allow for other small things like conectors and volume knobs etc.

Further down you will find a second list of prices for the amps. This list is to give you an idea of how much it will cost to build a complete amp, in a case, with power supply, with all the connectors, and including shipping.

This is ment only as a guide. Do not use these figures to judge how good the projects are with one another, do not assume all these prices are correct, and do not treat these prices as definitive!

[size=xx-small](plese help me fill in the blanks)[/size]

AMPS
CMOY ............................... $25
MINT ................................ $55
PIMETA ............................. $
PPAv2 ............................... $130
Dynalo .............................. $85
Dynahi .............................. $200
M3 ................................... $170
Milet Hybrid ....................... $80
WNA MK2 .......................... £150

COMPLETE AMPS
CMOY ............................... $25-40
MINT ................................ $
PIMETA ............................. $75
PPAv2 ............................... $200
Dynalo .............................. $400
Balanced Dynalo ................. $850
Dynahi .............................. $600
Balanced Dynahi ................. $1600
M3 ................................... $
Milet Hybrid ....................... $
WNA MK2 .......................... £200

POWER SUPPLIES
TREAD .............................. $17 ($10+ for transformer)
STEPS .............................. $50
Dynalo PSU ........................ $130
Dynahi PSU ........................ $160

DACS
DIYParadise's Monica DAC .... $120

If you want to add anything to the list or feel that somthing is wrong, just reply with the name and cost and i will update this post.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 73
Hey that's a pretty neat idea. Maybe eventually we could integrate this with big list of DIY designs so that all the info is in the same place.

For the Millet Hybrid there are a couple of BoM's floating around but the one from www.diyforums.org shows that the stock parts cost $70.50.

Here's the link: http://www.diyforums.org/MILLETT_BOM_2.xls

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 73
Dynahi for $140? are you sure?

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 73
I think that figure for the Dynahi would be per channel and definitely without the power supply.

Also, while I think that this sort of exercise is interesting it's also impossible for the reasons listed. What is the min or max version of a given amp? Where is the builder located? What suppliers are you using? And case, powersupply and other items are certainly not insignificant portions of the cost for some of these projects.

I think the beauty of DIY is that you get to decide for yourself how much a project is going to cost and what you're going to use to build it. While I'm usually one who provides excel BOMs for projects I think they should only be used as a baseline and not a recommendation of what to do.

My 2¢,

Nate

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 73
I've added $70 for the milet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
Dynahi for $140? are you sure?

whoops thats for the Dynahi power supply
redface.gif
I didnt look at the title closely enough. The Dynahi amp BOM is listed right next to it on djgardner.com, except there is no parts cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Also, while I think that this sort of exercise is interesting it's also impossible for the reasons listed. What is the min or max version of a given amp? Where is the builder located? What suppliers are you using? And case, powersupply and other items are certainly not insignificant portions of the cost for some of these projects.

I hope that goes without saying. I imagine anyone who attempts to build an amp is going to realize it needs power, and that its a good idea to put it in a case (eventually, at least). Anyway, i made sure to say the costs do not include a power supply or case. I think it is better this way because people can more easily add up how much it will cost. For instance, a battery powered PIMETA in a plasic case is going to cost less than a PIMETA + STEPS + nice aluminium case.

I wanted to get together more of an "offical" list because people can get carried away, i think, and end up spending rather alot of money. If people treat these prices as a baseline like you say, then they can decide if they want to add to it and find out how much more thats going to cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I think the beauty of DIY is that you get to decide for yourself how much a project is going to cost and what you're going to use to build it.

I'd like a Dynalo for $20 that is made out of old newspaper
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M
I hope that goes without saying.

Trust me, you'd be amazed...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I'd like a Dynalo for $20 that is made out of old newspaper
biggrin.gif

I guess I made the mistake of assuming you were dealing with the bounds of reality. Let me know how that Dynalo works out for you.
tongue.gif

Nate

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 73
$50 STEPS

$170 M3 (AD8610 opamps)

$130 PPAv2 (AD8610 opamps)

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
You must consider a power supply in the cost since without it the amp won't work!

ALso, I think a dynahi will cost much more than just 140$

I didn't want to include the power supply in the cost for reasons explained above. And i made a mistake with the dynahi. I thought $140 was a bit cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Feel free to add other projects to the list like a DAC for example.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 73
the millet hybrid BOM from the diyforums site states $72.89 but the cost of the PCB is only listed as $10. if you purchase it on their site, it's actually $18.

so the new millet hybrid BOM should probably be $80

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
the millet hybrid BOM from the diyforums site states $72.89 but the cost of the PCB is only listed as $10. if you purchase it on their site, it's actually $18.

so the new millet hybrid BOM should probably be $80

You're right about the PCBs being $18 but the BOM on diyforums is $70.52. I've updated it to $80

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

You're right about the PCBs being $18 but the BOM on diyforums is $70.52. I've updated it to $80

Sorry, I haven't updated that since the original group buy for the PCBs and even then it wasn't accurate
biggrin.gif
. $80 is a good estimate of the cost to populate the board - after that the sky's the limit.

If you're looking for a DAC project to put on there you might consider DIYParadise's Monica DAC, it costs around $120 to populate the board, including the cost of the getting the PCB and some components from Yeo.

[edit]Your average MINT costs about $55 to build, case not included.

Nate

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 73
i think this might get a bit misleading to some members. considering people all over the world build these projects and the pricing may only really apply to the USA. also ignoring the little hardware things adds up. for example, im building a project presently where the actual cost of the (pre)amp stuff itself is less then 25% of the whole project. the hardware (switch connectors feet spacers etc etc etc) makes up 28% of the cost, and the rest goes to psu and case. this isn't being extravagant by any stretch of the imagination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back