DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #436 of 464
That isn't a finished video and soon I'll delete it and upload final video. That's some sort of "work in progress" in video editing. DIY as usual :wink:
Everything is almost ready to launch and I finally can tell you a date - Kickstarter will be launched at 21 of August.
Cheers, are these shipped from the Ukraine as stated in Zeos review?

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #438 of 464
Sure but nothing beats a 200'ish grams phone comfort-wise so please keep the idea in mind. Audeze's been trolling you with their 80x70mm driver size statement on Sine anyway, you shall respond comrade :p

Sine is an ear-crusher and FWIR due to vacuum its diaphragms make plasticky noises whenever you move huh. It also has genuine leather glued onto its cups that's both unnecessary/fragile and kills market shares with vegans, .....

Long story short, the 200'ish grams supra ortho market is all yours basically. Make it closed and you have a market killer that will appeal to both home users and people on the go.

Please make it happen down the road :)

These are excellent points and something I too have been thinking about also.
Especially the supra portable part which does have it's advantages..
plus... it'd be cheaper to ship for you.
I'm sure you have it in mind, so as a small reminder see the part above in red.
Down the road of course.

Excellent work so far!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #439 of 464
Yeah weight is not a problem if these are comfy and designed to balance the wieight. What i am more interested if these can be modded to be a decent closed, so i could use these on late nights while family sleeps. That why i asked Garuspik can these be easily modded to closed back while still sounding somewhat decent, or have u experimented that aspect? Like i would be willing to pay some extra to get matching closed cups to interchange when ever need to block sound getting out.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #440 of 464
Guys, efficient planars of such size simply can't weight 200 grams. 180 grams is a weight of magnets :D
But again - they are as comfortable, as 500 gr headphones can be. I've spent more time to make them comfortable then to make them sing. Final variant of sound was ready almost a year ago and another year was spent to make them reliable, lightweight for their size and comfortable.
Audeze did it, based on your claims I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.

500g is completely out of the scope for me and a total no-go, you're aiming for an audio-nerdy tiny niche willing to buy bulky heavy phones when you could aim for the crowd with a much lighter closed supra.

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #441 of 464
Audeze did it, based on your claims I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.

500g is completely out of the scope for me and a total no-go, you're aiming for an audio-nerdy tiny niche willing to buy bulky heavy phones when you could aim for the crowd with a much lighter closed supra.
Are you really comparing a dude who is about to make his diy project a commercial product to a company that's been in the business.. how many years, ten? :). Sometimes its better to fill the niche than go against the big boys in an already crowded market and it is not that Audeze products have always hit the spot, el-8 as a good example.

I also am not fan of Audezes market practices like increasing prices of well established products, removing sales of ear-pads just to stop people from modding 'cheaper' alternatives.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #442 of 464
Are you really comparing a dude who is about to make his diy project a commercial product to a company that's been in the business.. how many years, ten? :). Sometimes its better to fill the niche than go against the big boys in an already crowded market and it is not that Audeze products have always hit the spot, el-8 as a good example.

I also am not fan of Audezes market practices like increasing prices of well established products, removing sales of ear-pads just to stop people from modding 'cheaper' alternatives.
I kinda am, yes. OP claims to have the secret sauce and magical hands so git it done please :D

Everyone and his grandma makes open circum orthos these days, OTOH closed supras are scarce to the point that only Audeze has one AFAIK.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #445 of 464
2. Just to think about the possible variants - if crowd-funding will be successful and Verum will gather more attention then initial goals what extended goals should be set? I'd like to hear your propositions. Maybe at least some of them I can bring into a life?

Usually top-tier backers get something exclusive, custom or rare.
So if they back you for let's say, 500 euros, (I have no idea what a good number would be for the top tier, it's just an example) It could be a limited run of 5 custom Verum 1's, where the 5 backers gets to pick the colours.
But then those particular colours would never be allowed to be used again to preserve the exclusivity.

Then a tier down, 400 (again, arbitrary value), they could have their name or head-fi name embroidered into the headband.

People love this kind of stuff.. right? (I might be completely out of touch :D)

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #446 of 464
Just for example - cable that I now provide with headphones made from ordinary copper wire and neutrik connectors. Ok, that's it - quality but not TOP components. Everything is good for the price. But if, for example, I'll have orders for 200 headphones I can buy Mogami cable and Amphenol connectors cause I'll save big amount of funds if I order in bulk. And they are much better. In my business plan I have fixed percentage of profit and all extra funds (if they will be gathered) will be invested in the final product.

Same with headband - I was thinking about making headbands from Alcantara. Really great material, and if you order in bulk prices will be reduced dramatically.
I can attest to alcantara as a material, from the Microsoft Surface Pro. Also I find it a very interesting suggestion -the reason I say this, is that everyone has thought of special cables/connectors, but I must admit materials such as alcantara for the headband (possibly earcups) are very thought provoking in a good way =D

Good stuff lies ahead.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #447 of 464
How about a stand (doesn't need to be anything fancy but something unique to verum, like a V shaped stand), or a carrying case or a box to store the headphones, additional pads would also be pretty good.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #449 of 464
Verum 1s are big headphones with audiophile approach to build&sound.
You are so focused on magnets, but there are plenty of smaller, thinner, and less heavy magnets you can use for a smaller driver.
Compromises must be agreed upon between open/closed, supra/circum and 200g/500g. Obviously there are FAR more 200g closed supra potential buyers than 500g open circum. Simple maths at work really as we're talking about mainstream Vs headfi nerds = less magnets, less shipping costs, less parts that would otherwise be required to balance weight evenly and possibly higher profit margin too.

If you can beat Sine(which I haven't heard) for a lower price then you have a market changer in your hands and not just a "me too" phone that nonetheless provides high bang/bucks.

About closed cups - yes, I have some ideas.
Good to know coz like most people I live in a noisy city with a noisy computer and noisy neighbors so open cups are no option really.

Anyhow, we don't mean to threadcrap but please keep the idea in mind :D

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #450 of 464
You are so focused on magnets, but there are plenty of smaller, thinner, and less heavy magnets you can use for a smaller driver.
Compromises must be agreed upon between open/closed, supra/circum and 200g/500g. Obviously there are FAR more 200g closed supra potential buyers than 500g open circum. Simple maths at work really as we're talking about mainstream Vs headfi nerds = less magnets, less shipping costs, less parts that would otherwise be required to balance weight evenly and possibly higher profit margin too.

If you can beat Sine(which I haven't heard) for a lower price then you have a market changer in your hands and not just a "me too" phone that nonetheless provides high bang/bucks.

Good to know coz like most people I live in a noisy city with a noisy computer and noisy neighbors so open cups are no option really.

Anyhow, we don't mean to threadcrap but please keep the idea in mind :D

He needs to build up his reputation and brand, before even considering options you suggest - which from my understanding hasn't been excluded in the first place. You wanting them prior to Verum 2 or Closed Back version is a different story entirely. I do not think potential mainstream buyers would opt into a DIY solution without any prior high-end headphone to showcase and backed by enthusiasts. Yes, I mean enthusiasts, which is what people here are and the ones who mostly would consider buying headphones such as these. I even consider most M1060 buyers enthusiasts, albeit not willing to pay premium levels of cash for an Audeze or Hifiman. I totally understand Garuspik building his company up from the ground with a good reputation, then trying to enter the mass-market where there already is 1000s of headphones in competition (obviously not planars, but lets not kid ourselves - the actual technology matters less to mainstream best-bang-for-buck type of customers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back