DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #391 of 464
One of Verum's played in a shoe box on my balcony for 24\7 for a month on high volume level from some ****ty class D amp i'm using specially to perform stress-tests.
I took pics from description of his lots.

Another pic:
10145067.jpg

Sorry, what's this? 20-30% of open area?
Here is my variant:

3mm magnet + 7mm of traces + big driver + big earpd opening = 70% of open surface.
Nice to see more exposing area from your design. Just asking, do planars have xmax and assuming that they do, what's the xmax on verum?

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #392 of 464
It's a marketing trick. It's a diameter of the whole cup. Internal diameter of Verum cup is 107 mm and it's designed for 105mm earpads.

Sure they have. I don't know exact Xmax of Verum cause it can't be measured precisely but I can measure THD. Thd rises above 1% on really extreme levels that can lead to hear loss. But I guess that xmax about +-1mm.
What is sound pressure level? (SPL) Spl is determined by the only one factor - how much air can we move? Bigger membrane = possibility to move bigger amount of air without exceeding xmax and rise in THD.

Good to know it has big effective driver area. I vaguely recall that HE6 has an effective driver area of 86mm*86mm and LCD2's drivers, despite looking bigger, doesn't have as much usable area.

Another thing tho, these drivers look exposed. Would you add a dustproof film or something like that to the production version?

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #393 of 464
I like He-6 very much, really great headphones. But only ~60% of open area is covered with traces.

Love my pair as well. Won't trade them for anything else. That said tho it really makes you wonder why planar manufacturers put so much emphasis on driver thickness these days. Audeze claims to have near-weightless diaphragms while Hifiman marks their counterpart as 'supernano'. The golden driver HE6 uses is more than 10 times as thick yet still remains as one of the most transparent sounding headphone ever.....Not that thinner is worse, just that thinner drivers don't necessarily correspond to better sound. Same as driver size. As you already mentioned the effective moving area on planars is nowhere near as impressive as their 'size' might suggest :L3000:

Hearing about dust cap kinda put my mind at ease, lol. I'd back your planar once its on indiegogo/gofundme or whatever crowdfunding site it is.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #394 of 464
Supernano thickness adds micro-details. But as always, benefits in one, losses in another. Personally I prefer He-6 over He-1000 (but love them both).
Same. I even prefer them to susvara. Susvara owners are going to beat the living hell outta me if I ever post this to that thread lol.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #396 of 464
What is the size of the HE500 driver, 80mm?
Should be as big as the HE6. Apart from the gold-plating there's no difference between 500 & 6.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #399 of 464
Hawt drivers. How's channel matching tho? 1dB tolerance? 0.5dB?

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #402 of 464
The lighter the better so please also add the single-sided magnet version, I don't care if the much heavier version sounds better. IMHO there is a compromise to be agreed upon between weight and sound quality, I'm sure brick-heavy phones such as Abyss and so on must amazeballs but anything >350g is a no-go for me.

TBH I wish you also made a supra 200g'ish version: make an easy-to-drive comfy Sine and you'll have even more buyers.

Everyone makes circum orthos these days, supra's are basically Sine only?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #403 of 464
Sure but these ppl are prolly used to Audeze and HE500 level comfort. I would never consider any of those myself due to their excessive weight.

OK fine, I'll sit on the side and wait for lighter phones then. Make it supra too please, only Audeze has a supra ortho to offer AFAIK so market is far less crowded than circums.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #404 of 464
My English is far from perfect - what is "hawt" ?

Channel matching:

Less then 0.5 db I can guarantee. I've developed very simple technology where you just can't produce different membranes. I don't make special channel matching but! i make left and right membranes at the same time. And they are mirrored one to another.
From headphone to headphone membranes can have slightly different output (+- 1 db) but when I make pair - left and right are identical.

If you do not mind sharing how you get less then 0.5 db across two diaphragms I would really like to know.

Also it seems to me that some of the manufactures are making a lot of single diaphragm and then matching them to each other. Is there a benefit to one method vs other?

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #405 of 464
If you do not mind sharing how you get less then 0.5 db across two diaphragms I would really like to know.

Also it seems to me that some of the manufactures are making a lot of single diaphragm and then matching them to each other. Is there a benefit to one method vs other?
I was about to ask the same. From what I know most manufacturers just match two drivers with similar FR. The mirroring technique you mentioned sure sounds interesting.

The lighter the better so please also add the single-sided magnet version, I don't care if the much heavier version sounds better. IMHO there is a compromise to be agreed upon between weight and sound quality, I'm sure brick-heavy phones such as Abyss and so on must amazeballs but anything >350g is a no-go for me.

TBH I wish you also made a supra 200g'ish version: make an easy-to-drive comfy Sine and you'll have even more buyers.

Everyone makes circum orthos these days, supra's are basically Sine only?
Abyss is acutally single-sided yet it still beats any double-sided planars on the market. Most of its weight comes from the aluminum headband and the magnets, which is carved from an entire magnet rather than several magnetic bars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back