DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #331 of 464
I posted on Verum Audio, very happy to be one of the first to buy. I also suggested that any future upgrades, i would pay all expenses to have that done,OR send me the parts, all expenses paid, for me to fit. One thing I cannot understand, is why people have taken so long to review them for you.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #332 of 464
very excited to hear the reviews. Frequency response is very important to me so things like peaks can be damped physically.

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #335 of 464
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Most of planar headphones (and mine also) are open. DT770 are closed. What is "front vents on the baffles"? Can you mark it on picture.
https://imgur.com/HvHksaq
keep in mind I was modding the hd 25 when i took this so you wont see the white foam (or whatever you call it).

EDIT: And also i am planning to make a fully modded version of the t50rp with a custom cups.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #337 of 464
My driver occupies ~80% of internal size of the cup, so even if I wanted (but I don't want) I have no space to install something outside the driver.
Look, we need to solve 1 primary problem in planar headphones: pressure outside membrane = pressure inside membrane. And we have several tools for that:

1) Damping
2) Inner volume inside earpad
3) Membrane tension.
Soooo baffle vents won't do much? Also will a slightly cupped shaped back create some hollowish sound? Which material is the best for damping.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #341 of 464
Assembling right now headphones with one-sided magnet system. If main project has the name Verum One let's call this Verum 0,5 :D

What the difference in comparison to main project:
1. One sided magnet system.
2. Faux leather earpads instead of lamb skin.
3. No texture available. Only simple colors

That's about -100$ and - 180 grams :wink:
Later I'll show you assembled unit.
Any chance of a V0.5.1 with double sided magnets but keeping the rest utilitarian like the 0.5? :)

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #343 of 464
I have been watching this thread darn near since the start, and this thread along with the DIY electrostatic headphone thread is pretty much the only reason I even look at the head-fi forum anymore.

I am looking at doing my own pair of headphones, and I have a few questions for you.

1: I am noticing that some of your headphones don't really extend down to 20hz, but these graphs seem to be from some very early designs. Have you been able to achieve full range response yet?

2: You have made these headphones to come in at a very affordable price level and be pretty darn sensitive. Would you do anything different to the design if you weren't under these constraints? In other words, what does the ultimate Garuspik driver look like?

3: I see that you had made the diaphragm using some type of fancy kapton tape. While you did explain the material, you did not explain how you etched/cut/ect the traces for the material. Was it a simple photo etch like with regular PCB material?

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #344 of 464
You don't like leather earpads and customization with a various textures?

Not at all :)
I would hope to get the best sound at the cheapest price. (Double sided magnets and un-coated/unfinished material).
Then roll my own pads and apply my own custom finish.

Jul 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #345 of 464
Applying custom finish is equal to disassembling headphones. A bit tricky process. Even more complex in comparison with assembling :wink:

Forgive me, but it's clear that you don't know that disassemling and photographing headphone drivers is something of a specialty of mine on this forum. :wink:
(I also dabble with many vintage planars and mods in general, so I'm no stranger to a screwdriver)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back