DIY noob!
Jul 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

acvtre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm venturing into the audio DIY and I wanna build a PPA v.2, a linkwitz crossfeed and a YJPS power supply. Everything from tangentsoft.
I've got a couple of questiones.
Where can I find a step by step guide to build the crossfeed and the parts list?
I won't integrate a bassbooster beacause I think it's not so "audiophile", am I right?
What is precisely the bias and how can I adjust it?

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't integrate a bassbooster beacause I think it's not so "audiophile", am I right?

LOL srsly? You care about what other people think about your gear?
Just go with what you want. That's all that matters. Audiophile or not, you're supposed to enjoy your rig
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go with what you want. That's all that matters. Audiophile or not, you're supposed to enjoy your rig
biggrin.gif

++

The crossfeed stuff is on Headwize. Forums out now but the x-feed info is available.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

This is not what I intended. I mean that, IMHO, an amp should only improve the audio signal and not change it.
Another problem is that I haven't understood how to build it.
frown.gif

A problem is also that I'm not able to read an electric circuit.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 35
Building a PPA is not easy; especially if this would be your first headphone amp project and can not read a schematic.

I would wait for the new PIMETAv2 project which would be a better and easier first headphone amp project. But, still; you have to follow Tangent's instructions very carefully and take your time.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 35
Pimeta is an excellent first-time project if you have any doubts about the ppa. It's pretty straight forward, has thorough documentation, cheap and sounds great, and theres a lot to learn from.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Building a PPA is not easy; especially if this would be your first headphone amp project and can not read a schematic.

I would wait for the new PIMETAv2 project which would be a better and easier first headphone amp project. But, still; you have to follow Tangent's instructions very carefully and take your time.

I saw that it's not that easy but it has a great step by step guide, so I thought that could be easier, and you can tweak it in manifold ways.
The pimetav2 board isn't in the shop right now.
I cannot find a guide that shows how to link the cables of the potentiometers to the PCB. For example to the crossfeed PCB.

P.S.: I'm also going to buy an iBASSO p3+ heron.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 35
The PPA isn't actually that bad, even as a first time build. You can stay away from SMD opamps and it is all through hole. Not difficult at all. Just stick with the recommended chips and it'll perform flawlessly. Aside from missing the whole manual wiring for the bass boost thing my build went off perfect following the site and it was my second solid state build after doing a cmoy. Even the class A bias was easy.

Adding the bass boost is alright even if you don't want it to change the sound. Just turn the BB all the way down and it bypasses anyways. There will be times you'll be glad you added it. I know I am.

But, most all amps change the sound in one way or another. If you want one that does it the least make something like a cmoy with an extremely linear opamp.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

I saw that it's not that easy but it has a great step by step guide, so I thought that could be easier, and you can tweak it in manifold ways.
The pimetav2 board isn't in the shop right now.
I cannot find a guide that shows how to link the cables of the potentiometers to the PCB. For example to the crossfeed PCB.

P.S.: I'm also going to buy an iBASSO p3+ heron.

For a first time built I recommend checking out the M3 instead. It has less components and a bigger board, so soldering the components is less of a hassle.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 35
If you cannot yet read a schematic, you really need to start there. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know there are several books that will get you up to speed. You're not going to find many (if any) step-by-step pictorial guidelines for building gear. You've got to learn to speak the language first.

Don't worry - it isn't difficult. Once you learn a dozen or so symbols and a few conventions, it'll all start making sense.

If you need recommendations for other books and info, just ask. Everyone here started out not knowing anything. You can learn how to do it, too.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 35
Other important questions.
Does anyone have a bunch of opamps to suggest? Something like a must-have list.
What are the differences among signal, buffer and ground?
And...I need reccomandations for books.
biggrin.gif
Would be better in simple english.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Other important questions.
Does anyone have a bunch of opamps to suggest? Something like a must-have list.
What are the differences among signal, buffer and ground?
And...I need reccomandations for books.
biggrin.gif
Would be better in simple english.

UP!

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #14 of 35
Have you had any training or study in electronics?

If not, read "There Are No Electrons" by Kenn Amdahl. Then I'd suggest building a CMoy and paying close attention to the instructions and terminology.

I get the feeling that you're either overeager or somehow resistant to learning the jargon, conventions and basic skills of electronics.

Those are there for a reason. No, not to keep out noobs and outsiders. They're used for efficiency and to prevent redundancies.

Except for the most basic of projects (e.g. the CMoy) you are not going to find "plain English" explanations for anything. You're going to need to self-educate if you want to build stuff.

I know there's a learning curve, but everyone else here started with zero knowledge and kept going. If you're like most of us, you'll get curious about other projects once you finish your first one. To build more, you're going to end up learning the basics anyway. You might as well put down a good foundation of knowledge before you start soldering. Your work will be better and you'll soon have the ability to build anything you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had any training or study in electronics?

If not, read "There Are No Electrons" by Kenn Amdahl. Then I'd suggest building a CMoy and paying close attention to the instructions and terminology.

I get the feeling that you're either overeager or somehow resistant to learning the jargon, conventions and basic skills of electronics.

Those are there for a reason. No, not to keep out noobs and outsiders. They're used for efficiency and to prevent redundancies.

Except for the most basic of projects (e.g. the CMoy) you are not going to find "plain English" explanations for anything. You're going to need to self-educate if you want to build stuff.

I know there's a learning curve, but everyone else here started with zero knowledge and kept going. If you're like most of us, you'll get curious about other projects once you finish your first one. To build more, you're going to end up learning the basics anyway. You might as well put down a good foundation of knowledge before you start soldering. Your work will be better and you'll soon have the ability to build anything you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I've studied anything at school about the theory and the most important theorems but nothing about the practice.
Everything I know about the practice come from tangentsoft website and its tutorial videos.
I know the basic jargon but I can't read a complex schematic, I can onl deduce something, for example and I know almost nothing about the practice, as I said.
In other cases I can read something of the schematic but I don't know how to apply what I read on the board or PCB.
So the main problem is the practice. Do you think is still good the book you suggested me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back