DIY Ground Box Thread
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #1,531 of 1,626
A little bit more experimenting...

* 2 pebbles of the white crystal in a second ground box. This Magnetite ground box filters the amp. Added a bit of sparkle and bite to upper metal instruments. I stayed with the 2 pebbles because I liked what I heard although slight. Was like a touch of an ingredient or spice when cooking.

* Took another ABS box full of the white crystals and placed it by and around the modem/router. System sounds different depending on where around the modem/router it was placed. System reaction to the crystals are immediate. By the input and outputs of the RJ45 connections is where the performance gain really was. What this did was add a bit more air, and precision (or more solid outline) of all notes and sounds. Also a bit more bass punch/slam without bleeding into the upper frequencies. Similar to placing one of these ABS boxes on top of the amp, above the amp's power supply. Except the bass is tighter now then on top of the amp alone.

I am off work Sunday and Monday, will experiment some more. I purchased 4lbs. of these white crystals and have not gone through 1/4 of it yet.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #1,532 of 1,626
You mention "not sounding bad". Try and strive for amazing. A lot to be learned while experimenting and making changes.
As suggested by you, i reterminated the Odin Gold xlr female with AE 14 ga 6n cable. I had to remove some strands to fit with the 3 Odin cores. Applied nano liquid sparingly refitted and tested everything. I have waited 72 hours for the nano liquid to settle before reporting results. Well there is no comparison at all, the AE ground cable is definitely in another league. The Odin Gold xle before the mod was a good enough cable to replace a Transparent Audio cable costing maybe 10 times more. Now this same Odin is an awesome and outstanding cable with the new ground box. Every aspect of the performance has changed- my front wall has disappeared and the orchestra is in the garden, front to back dimension has improved dramatically, much more resolution, much lower noise, does not sound digital, much better PRAT and amazing bass. Bass is not upfront but underpinning the music, with no flab. Thanks CDA.
So the new ground box is a success and it was the Neotech 18 ga that was so unsuitable. I now need to build my 3rd Ground Box for the Eversolo DMP 6 Master , maybe for the power cable to the streamer or replace the Transparent Ultra xlr with another modded Odin xlr.
Your suggestions have always been 100% on the money, thanks for your invaluable insights based on hundreds of hours of experience.
The dynamics with this modded Odin and new ground box can be frightening.
Thank you.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #1,533 of 1,626
As suggested by you, i reterminated the Odin Gold xlr female with AE 14 ga 6n cable. I had to remove some strands to fit with the 3 Odin cores. Applied nano liquid sparingly refitted and tested everything. I have waited 72 hours for the nano liquid to settle before reporting results. Well there is no comparison at all, the AE ground cable is definitely in another league. The Odin Gold xle before the mod was a good enough cable to replace a Transparent Audio cable costing maybe 10 times more. Now this same Odin is an awesome and outstanding cable with the new ground box. Every aspect of the performance has changed- my front wall has disappeared and the orchestra is in the garden, front to back dimension has improved dramatically, much more resolution, much lower noise, does not sound digital, much better PRAT and amazing bass. Bass is not upfront but underpinning the music, with no flab. Thanks CDA.
So the new ground box is a success and it was the Neotech 18 ga that was so unsuitable. I now need to build my 3rd Ground Box for the Eversolo DMP 6 Master , maybe for the power cable to the streamer or replace the Transparent Ultra xlr with another modded Odin xlr.
Your suggestions have always been 100% on the money, thanks for your invaluable insights based on hundreds of hours of experience.
The dynamics with this modded Odin and new ground box can be frightening.
Thank you.
Nice, it is my pleasure. As I mentioned before, the mod should be system transformative. Greatly enhances interconnect cable and system performance.

As you build and try, you get to learn what aspects of the build make what kind of a difference. The new cable and mod will get a little better with a bit more break-in.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #1,534 of 1,626
thoughts on quartz ....

a fun thing to do is rub two bits of quartz in a dark room .......they will create light, this is triboluminesance.
squeeze a crystal it will generate a charge, apply a charge it will expand, peizoelectric effect.
crystals can display chiral [ optical isomerism ]
the crystal are trigonal below 573 deg c and hexagonal above.

quartz SiO2, clear rock crystal
milky as above with minute gas or liquid inclusions
if contaminated with Fe3+ gives you amethyst
ferric hydroxide gives citrine
aluminum or manganese gives rose quartz.
SiO2 can also be amorphous ie agate or glass [ glass is actually a super cool liquid and over time will flow ]

so where am I going with this !
all quartz [ including sand ] will exhibit similar properties...... So it may not be necessary to purchase exotic varieties

on the other hand the use of glass agate and the other amorphous types of Silicon dioxide which have no crystal structure, may not provide the effect wanted.

Which is why I used quartz sand as part of my mix .

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #1,535 of 1,626
thoughts on quartz ....

a fun thing to do is rub two bits of quartz in a dark room .......they will create light, this is triboluminesance.
squeeze a crystal it will generate a charge, apply a charge it will expand, peizoelectric effect.
crystals can display chiral [ optical isomerism ]
the crystal are trigonal below 573 deg c and hexagonal above.

quartz SiO2, clear rock crystal
milky as above with minute gas or liquid inclusions
if contaminated with Fe3+ gives you amethyst
ferric hydroxide gives citrine
aluminum or manganese gives rose quartz.
SiO2 can also be amorphous ie agate or glass [ glass is actually a super cool liquid and over time will flow ]

so where am I going with this !
all quartz [ including sand ] will exhibit similar properties...... So it may not be necessary to purchase exotic varieties

on the other hand the use of glass agate and the other amorphous types of Silicon dioxide which have no crystal structure, may not provide the effect wanted.

Which is why I used quartz sand as part of my mix .
During this project I looked deeper into the properties of very few of the minerals. But is interesting. I have not tried this with quartz yet. But what I have learned is minerals sound/or their effect is different when used in sand (smaller) form vs larger solid form. Obviously this is in the context of using the minerals as part of a ground box mix. "Generally" when used in the smaller or finer form, the effect of that mineral within the mix is audibly more intense.

* What I focused on firstly is the role of the passive ground box. A ground box has two functions. First is to remove noise or lower noise so more can be heard from the system. Secondly to tune the sonic output of the part of the system it is attached to, which effects overall sonic balance of the system. An interesting way to look at a passive ground box is "a device that can be attached to many parts of an audio system to improve overall system performance". Once I realized the full potential of the ground box, I decided to DIY (vs just buying retail like Entreq or CAD) because of how unique the ability is to tune a system. In all of my research and time in this hobby, I have never heard or read of any manufacturer or users of these devices mention the tuning aspect.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #1,536 of 1,626
I've had these for a few weeks now and after some time with these crystals, I've noticed it does seem have an effect on the sound. I've been moving them around and placing them in different places.

It seems to make the sound more musical, spacious, airier. Its difficult to describe, its a subtle difference though. Not a huge margin by any means.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,537 of 1,626
I've had these for a few weeks now and after some time with these crystals, I've noticed it does seem have an effect on the sound. I've been moving them around and placing them in different places.

It seems to make the sound more musical, spacious, airier. Its difficult to describe, its a subtle difference though. Not a huge margin by any means.
I agree in most cases the effect is slight. But the volume of the crystals and where it is used does intensify the effect.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #1,538 of 1,626
I only had a little bit of time on my days off to experiment but did find out the following...

Took a small bag and placed some of the small white crystals in the bag, like in the pic included. Also had a larger bag with about 3X the amount in it.

* If the smaller bag is placed under a ground box, upper frequencies around 8K - 10K and up are effected. Depending on how much of the bag of crystals and where it is placed under the ground box, the system sounded like it could be "ultra fine tuned". Kind of like a old school treble control but instead of 10 notches/steps of control you have 40 or more. This will also effect "perceived air" and slightly improved outline of notes heard. So depends on how many crystals and where it is placed under the ground box all effects the tuning result. In my system, tried under two separate boxes, when placed toward the ground cable output side the effect is stronger. When placed toward the rear or opposite side of the box the effect is less. By sliding the bag of crystals up and down the length of the box the sonic change can be heard.

* With a little more of the crystals in a bag placed under interconnects, resting on the desk I got more air again. And a little bit more of slightly improved outline of notes heard but across the frequency spectrum. Twenty mins in or so sounded even better. I did not like the effect with the crystals directly on/touching the analog interconnects or ground cables. Under the interconnects effect was slightly different between amp vs DAC side. See pic #2.

* Crystals in a container of some sort or in a bag can be placed under or on top of a DAC. Under the non-power supply side sounds best. Similar results as mentioned above but slightly different. Have to try for yourself to see how it effects your system sonically.

Worth trying for tuning. The effect is on the slight side but is obvious. Some systems will benefit more than others, depending on individual tastes and how well tuned the system is already.

Attachments

• White crystal for tuning upper frequencies pic #1.jpg
    White crystal for tuning upper frequencies pic #1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • White crystal for tuning upper frequencies pic #2.jpg
    White crystal for tuning upper frequencies pic #2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #1,539 of 1,626
More crystal experimentation...

The pic is a small part of my DAC's power supply section. Using BluTac, placed a small crystal on each of the caps flanking a fuse. Liked what it did, which I will describe in a bit. Then in that plastic bag placed two crystals and placed on top of a fuse, which ended up sliding next to the fuse. This enhanced the two singular small stones on the caps. The result of doing the above was like a thin filter layer was removed from the entire sonic picture or sonic presentation. A bit more precision and accuracy to notes or sounds. Micro resolution increase is very slight but noticeable also.

Placing a single crystal on top of electrolytic caps also benefit but will comment further after I have a chance to do more thorough testing.

Doing more research I ordered from Amazon 1 lb. each of Rose Quartz, Amethyst and Green Aventurine to experiment with. This is well worth looking into again, so lets give it a go.

Attachments

• Crystal experimentation inside DAC.jpg
    Crystal experimentation inside DAC.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #1,540 of 1,626
In the next few days I will have the opportunity to experiment and sonically compare several different types of natural crystals. One of the things I wanted to know is how different crystals effect cabling if at all. From research these natural stones are supposed to "absorb" EMR (Electro Magnetic Radiation) and convert it to heat.

Well with just a little experimentation of the white or clear crystal with my Cardas Clear Light balanced cable I have found out some interesting things. Here is what I found:

The white crystal(s) do effect the cable's sonic performance. Too much volume and will thin presentation and tilt toward neutral. But a small 1/4" or so sized flat piece at the mini XLR connections (one at both left and right side) where they enter the headphones and performance is increased. Without negatively effecting sonic performance. I used masking tape to adhere the small crystal pebble so I can remove and reapply to compare while listening. I ordered black masking tape for permanent install later once I am done comparing and experimenting.

What the small crystal pebble did was:

* slightly quicker micro transient speed.
* Effects soundstage and imaging depth. Improves depth and side to side or angle panning of notes and sounds when decaying.
* Approx. 6K Hz and up separation improved
* Slightly quicker in the bass region. Can easily feel like a bit more bass punch or slam. But after listening for awhile it is the bit quicker speed I am hearing.

The above described effects are very noticeable. I will experiment more after I get the other crystals the next couple of days.

Attachments

• White crystal at headphone cable.jpg
    White crystal at headphone cable.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #1,542 of 1,626
eagerly awaiting the next update !
I received the crystals I ordered. Dabbled with experimenting with the different crystals. Definitely the different crystals offer a different sonic effect. I just have not had the time to really get into it. I will soon though.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #1,543 of 1,626
Experimenting with crystals, nudged by zanash...

Spent about 30 mins trying to understand the differences between a few different crystal types. Then ran into something interesting and spent about three hours trying to understand what I am hearing.

Most crystals effect the sonic presentation differently depending on where they are used or placed within the system. Also not a lot of volume or amount of crystals are necessary to hear what they do. They also can be crushed into powder or smaller sized crystals if you want by using a decently sized pair of standard or combination pliers. Aside the already mentioned areas in previous posts, the use that I just found that does strongly effects sonic presentation is inside the ground box. Just sitting on top of the Magnetite mix, does not have to be deep or buried into the mix.

The two pics provided is showing 1) crystals just sitting on top of the mix and how just one of each type (2 total) effected what I heard. 2) using masking tape (one end rolled up/folded over) to stick to the crystal to remove it from the mix so I did not touch the mix with my hands or pliers. The mix has graphite and tungsten which will attach to pliers, other tools or your fingers when used to remove the crystals from the Magnetite mix.

I think my system is so sensitive that it allows me to hear any little change. In the pic there is about two small crushed crystals I placed in there a few days ago. Keep in mind I am only experimenting on one ground box of the 12 in my system. This ground box is close to me and filters the digital BNC input of the DAC, and SPDIF coax cable going to the DDC from my PC.

Before adding the two larger crystals the system had a sonic feel like a high end tube setup. A bit warm, slightly euphoric, resolving and very musical. With just the two crystals as depicted or a combination of smaller crystals equaling about the same mass (I was experimenting) the sonic presentation of the system changed. After adding the Amethyst and rose quartz crystal, vocal presence increased. Not moving within the sound stage, just more immediate, kind of more life like. Mid bass to about 10Khz. became more alive and present. As a whole the presentation feels more like a live performance. I liked how it was before but am starting to like what I am hearing. I will have to hear the system after it all settles in. I will note that it takes 24 - 48 hours after crystals are introduced to part of a system for the system as a whole to fully settle in with the change. I can hear immediately the basics of the change.

There is a lot more, probably 20+ hours of testing and experimenting that would need to be done. Just to get a better understanding of what the different crystals offer within a system. And where they can be most effectively used. I will update once I know and can experience more.

Attachments

• Testing crystals with GB.jpg
    Testing crystals with GB.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Using masking tape to remove crystals from GB contents.jpg
    Using masking tape to remove crystals from GB contents.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #1,544 of 1,626
Experimenting with crystals, nudged by zanash...

Spent about 30 mins trying to understand the differences between a few different crystal types. Then ran into something interesting and spent about three hours trying to understand what I am hearing.

Most crystals effect the sonic presentation differently depending on where they are used or placed within the system. Also not a lot of volume or amount of crystals are necessary to hear what they do. They also can be crushed into powder or smaller sized crystals if you want by using a decently sized pair of standard or combination pliers. Aside the already mentioned areas in previous posts, the use that I just found that does strongly effects sonic presentation is inside the ground box. Just sitting on top of the Magnetite mix, does not have to be deep or buried into the mix.

The two pics provided is showing 1) crystals just sitting on top of the mix and how just one of each type (2 total) effected what I heard. 2) using masking tape (one end rolled up/folded over) to stick to the crystal to remove it from the mix so I did not touch the mix with my hands or pliers. The mix has graphite and tungsten which will attach to pliers, other tools or your fingers when used to remove the crystals from the Magnetite mix.

I think my system is so sensitive that it allows me to hear any little change. In the pic there is about two small crushed crystals I placed in there a few days ago. Keep in mind I am only experimenting on one ground box of the 12 in my system. This ground box is close to me and filters the digital BNC input of the DAC, and SPDIF coax cable going to the DDC from my PC.

Before adding the two larger crystals the system had a sonic feel like a high end tube setup. A bit warm, slightly euphoric, resolving and very musical. With just the two crystals as depicted or a combination of smaller crystals equaling about the same mass (I was experimenting) the sonic presentation of the system changed. After adding the Amethyst and rose quartz crystal, vocal presence increased. Not moving within the sound stage, just more immediate, kind of more life like. Mid bass to about 10Khz. became more alive and present. As a whole the presentation feels more like a live performance. I liked how it was before but am starting to like what I am hearing. I will have to hear the system after it all settles in. I will note that it takes 24 - 48 hours after crystals are introduced to part of a system for the system as a whole to fully settle in with the change. I can hear immediately the basics of the change.

There is a lot more, probably 20+ hours of testing and experimenting that would need to be done. Just to get a better understanding of what the different crystals offer within a system. And where they can be most effectively used. I will update once I know and can experience more.

try the large crystals on your speakers .... tho mine might behave differently because they are active speakers but i suspect vibration is the main reason for amplifiying the quartz effect

i havent testet much beside shungite / quartz / amethyst / tourmaline
but i removed my tourmaline & quartz chinch caps a couple of time (they are also placed directly on the active speaker), everytime i feel like the music collapses to a thinner sound with no depth, i also have chinch caps on the remaining ports of my dac but the effect is not as profound... i would say amplifier benefit more from it
but also placing crystals on top of speakers have a profound effect, well in case of quartz and amethyst (which is also quartz) the effect is somewhat uplifting/awakening but my theory is that we might just hear the crystals "sing" to the music which has an effect.... just like different frequencys can have an different effect on the body like the solfeggio frequencys, 440hz vs 432hz tuning and to some degree monaural/binaural beats and isochronic tones...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #1,545 of 1,626
try the large crystals on your speakers .... tho mine might behave differently because they are active speakers but i suspect vibration is the main reason for amplifiying the quartz effect

i havent testet much beside shungite / quartz / amethyst / tourmaline
but i removed my tourmaline & quartz chinch caps a couple of time (they are also placed directly on the active speaker), everytime i feel like the music collapses to a thinner sound with no depth, i also have chinch caps on the remaining ports of my dac but the effect is not as profound... i would say amplifier benefit more from it
but also placing crystals on top of speakers have a profound effect, well in case of quartz and amethyst (which is also quartz) the effect is somewhat uplifting/awakening but my theory is that we might just hear the crystals "sing" to the music which has an effect.... just like different frequencys can have an different effect on the body like the solfeggio frequencys, 440hz vs 432hz tuning and to some degree monaural/binaural beats and isochronic tones...
Home speaker setup is in storage until I buy another home. Currently my setup is headphone only.

You have referred to a "chinch" cap many times before. But I still do not know what is a chinch cap. Do you have a pic of such a cap or connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back