DIY Ground Box Thread
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #1,546 of 1,628
Home speaker setup is in storage until I buy another home. Currently my setup is headphone only.

You have referred to a "chinch" cap many times before. But I still do not know what is a chinch cap. Do you have a pic of such a cap or connector?
I think he means RCA socket caps. Unless he means cinch caps - its the same thing as RCA caps.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #1,547 of 1,628
IMG_20240413_035420.jpg

Just a normal chinch plug you would use for cables.... the plus pin is extended with 2,5mm2 OFC copper to the end of the plug, then the chinch plug gets screwed together, you fill it up with some crystal powder/granulate, you put some isolation tape on the end, then finish it up with conducting copper foil, closing the plug "electrically", so the extended plus pin doesnt act as a antenna, the isolation tape just makes sure you dont short the copperfoil (ground) to the plus pin

tho i would be still careful, you could push the end in and still short through the isolation tape, if you wanna play save you make the plus extender 5-10mm shorter than the plug

also you need to watch out for what plugs you use... not all are conducting till the end... you need one solid metal one where the shell is connected to ground for most effectiveness, the ones i used are these: https://www.hotsound-store.com/dynavox-cinchstecker-carbon-4er-set-vergoldet-7220

my latest ones were tourmaline with roughly 20% quartz, pretty happy with them, also the finer tourmaline powder i got is more effective than the DIY granulate i made before

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #1,548 of 1,628
i know it may seem silly that i like these so much and you guys use kilograms of crystals but they seem really effective for their size

i use two on my dac on unused outputs and one on each active speaker (unused chinch input), the ones on the active speakers are more audible

the great thing about them they kinda combine "chinch caps" and grounding "boxes" to one thing, and you dont run risk on having antennas running through the room, thats why i kinda still avoided grounding boxes so far

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #1,549 of 1,628

Just a normal chinch plug you would use for cables.... the plus pin is extended with 2,5mm2 OFC copper to the end of the plug, then the chinch plug gets screwed together, you fill it up with some crystal powder/granulate, you put some isolation tape on the end, then finish it up with conducting copper foil, closing the plug "electrically", so the extended plus pin doesnt act as a antenna, the isolation tape just makes sure you dont short the copperfoil (ground) to the plus pin

tho i would be still careful, you could push the end in and still short through the isolation tape, if you wanna play save you make the plus extender 5-10mm shorter than the plug

also you need to watch out for what plugs you use... not all are conducting till the end... you need one solid metal one where the shell is connected to ground for most effectiveness, the ones i used are these: https://www.hotsound-store.com/dynavox-cinchstecker-carbon-4er-set-vergoldet-7220

my latest ones were tourmaline with roughly 20% quartz, pretty happy with them, also the finer tourmaline powder i got is more effective than the DIY granulate i made before
Ah cinch/ RCA caps! Cool idea 👍🏻

(It's rare that Google draws a complete blank for a search term but 'chinch' managed it 😄)

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #1,550 of 1,628
Ah cinch/ RCA caps! Cool idea 👍🏻

(It's rare that Google draws a complete blank for a search term but 'chinch' managed it 😄)
ahh... i had the wrong term in mind since in germany it gets pronounced like "chinch"... atleast its cleared up now :D

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #1,551 of 1,628
IMG_20240413_035420.jpg

Yes, I have tried using a RCA connector filled with varies minerals. The effect is audible but very slight from when I tried it. A ground box like the one I DIY has a much more pronounced effect in case you were curious.

I believe one of the main reasons a ground box of say 3KG weight of minerals is more effective than a small tube or RCA plug filled with same minerals is saturation. I agree with Entreq, there is a minimum required weight of minerals to component weight to be filtered. This is to ensure the filtration material does not get over saturated.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #1,553 of 1,628
In the next few days I will have the opportunity to experiment and sonically compare several different types of natural crystals. One of the things I wanted to know is how different crystals effect cabling if at all. From research these natural stones are supposed to "absorb" EMR (Electro Magnetic Radiation) and convert it to heat.

Well with just a little experimentation of the white or clear crystal with my Cardas Clear Light balanced cable I have found out some interesting things. Here is what I found:

The white crystal(s) do effect the cable's sonic performance. Too much volume and will thin presentation and tilt toward neutral. But a small 1/4" or so sized flat piece at the mini XLR connections (one at both left and right side) where they enter the headphones and performance is increased. Without negatively effecting sonic performance. I used masking tape to adhere the small crystal pebble so I can remove and reapply to compare while listening. I ordered black masking tape for permanent install later once I am done comparing and experimenting.

What the small crystal pebble did was:

* slightly quicker micro transient speed.
* Effects soundstage and imaging depth. Improves depth and side to side or angle panning of notes and sounds when decaying.
* Approx. 6K Hz and up separation improved
* Slightly quicker in the bass region. Can easily feel like a bit more bass punch or slam. But after listening for awhile it is the bit quicker speed I am hearing.

The above described effects are very noticeable. I will experiment more after I get the other crystals the next couple of days.
While waiting for CDA’s further results on different gem stones I bought some clear quartz crystals, 2 20gram small clear bags and 8 larger quartz pieces to experiment.
The two small bags, one on top and one directly below the ground box on the input side filtering the Odin gold xlr had a significant impact on top end clarity end extension as reported previously by CDA. The sound became more 3D with increased depth. Looking at how Tweek Geek suggested using QSA gemstones I placed the small bags one above and one below as it sounder better than just one bag on top of the ground box and one bag on top of the Eversolo streamer (dac side).
Tweek Geek suggests using one stone above and one below the iec plug i.e. they should be opposite each other. I have tried this with a little blue tack to hold each stone. On the Furutech ncf iec feeding the PSA regenerator it had nice effect of improving dynamics and bass. I tried two more stones on the mains AC plug feeding the power amp ( couldn’t try it on the iec as I have an NCF booster there), well the effect was very obvious, substantial increase in bass and a boost to dynamics. While the two smaller bags on the ground box increased top end clarity and extension without affecting bass and lower mids, the stones on the iec and mains plug seemed to bring up the mids and bass quite significantly, very nice uplift in overall sound.
I dont know what stones are used by QSA - clear, black and red. Perhaps someone could share if known.
But overall a worthwhile improvement for only £10. Maybe i will get some more stones of different colours/type to experiment further. Meanwhile looking forward to CDA’s further analysis - always spot on.

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,555 of 1,628
While waiting for CDA’s further results on different gem stones I bought some clear quartz crystals, 2 20gram small clear bags and 8 larger quartz pieces to experiment.
The two small bags, one on top and one directly below the ground box on the input side filtering the Odin gold xlr had a significant impact on top end clarity end extension as reported previously by CDA. The sound became more 3D with increased depth. Looking at how Tweek Geek suggested using QSA gemstones I placed the small bags one above and one below as it sounder better than just one bag on top of the ground box and one bag on top of the Eversolo streamer (dac side).
Tweek Geek suggests using one stone above and one below the iec plug i.e. they should be opposite each other. I have tried this with a little blue tack to hold each stone. On the Furutech ncf iec feeding the PSA regenerator it had nice effect of improving dynamics and bass. I tried two more stones on the mains AC plug feeding the power amp ( couldn’t try it on the iec as I have an NCF booster there), well the effect was very obvious, substantial increase in bass and a boost to dynamics. While the two smaller bags on the ground box increased top end clarity and extension without affecting bass and lower mids, the stones on the iec and mains plug seemed to bring up the mids and bass quite significantly, very nice uplift in overall sound.
I dont know what stones are used by QSA - clear, black and red. Perhaps someone could share if known.
But overall a worthwhile improvement for only £10. Maybe i will get some more stones of different colours/type to experiment further. Meanwhile looking forward to CDA’s further analysis - always spot on.
Still analyzing and experimenting when I get spare time. Like all other tweak material, actual placement is really important. I did run into a find with crystals but still need more time to wrap my head around it. Do you have a link to the Tweek Geek info regarding the QSA gemstones?

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #1,556 of 1,628
After reading all the great info and positive results in this thread, I’ve made a couple of Ground boxes and have been trying various combinations of connecting them.
IMG_3755.jpeg
Cool, tell me/us about the build of the box and cable. Where have you installed the boxes and what are the audible system changes?

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #1,557 of 1,628
Cool, tell me/us about the build of the box and cable. Where have you installed the boxes and what are the audible system changes?
I followed your guide as best I could with the materials I could get at the time.
The cable used in that box was ElecAudio FC125TC, which is 2.5sqmm OCC copper with I think 221 strands. It works really well, but was a pain to prepare due to all the fine strands. I later got a delivery of the AliExpress 6N OCC cable you recommended.

I also added some copper plates into the build and used Mad Scientist Audio Graphene contact enhancer everywhere instead of the Nano liquid.

IMG_3752.jpeg

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #1,558 of 1,628
I have made several different cables to try with the box and connected them to my Dac’s digital and Analogue connections and to my DSP using DIN connectors as it has spare midi inputs/outputs that share a common ground with the XLR connectors.
- Really good results and also eliminated a ground loop hum.

I also tried the box on the ground connection of an ifi AC purifier.
- This improved the sound, but to a lesser extent than signal grounds.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #1,559 of 1,628
I have made several different cables to try with the box and connected them to my Dac’s digital and Analogue connections and to my DSP using DIN connectors as it has spare midi inputs/outputs that share a common ground with the XLR connectors.
- Really good results and also eliminated a ground loop hum.

I also tried the box on the ground connection of an ifi AC purifier.
- This improved the sound, but to a lesser extent than signal grounds.
The first box I pictured above weighs 3.5kg.

I made this second box with 3 binding posts and a different setup inside and it weighs 6.3kg. I see internal pictures of an Entreq box with 3 binding posts joined with copper inside, so I took inspiration from that.

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back