DIY Ground Box Thread
Nov 21, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #1,141 of 1,702
Just on the ac outlet covers, breaker box and the light switch so far.
Told ya... LOL How many of the outlet and light switch plates did you install the wraps on? All in the apartment, across all circuits or? Did you only install at Hot line or ground also?

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,142 of 1,702
During my research for EMI removal I found out Russian and US Scientists have been doing research for Aerospace tech. They found a way to absorb 99.99% EMF without using anti-reflective coatings, substrates and other structures. I am going to try one of these techniques soon. Very interesting but not sure how it will translate into the audio hobby yet. So possibly more to come...

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #1,143 of 1,702
Told ya... LOL How many of the outlet and light switch plates did you install the wraps on? All in the apartment, across all circuits or? Did you only install at Hot line or ground also?
Just at the ac outlets connecting my audio equipment and router. Should try it on the one that the tv is connected to also.

I tried a little bag on my dap and the bass increase is huge. Also warmer, maybe a bit too warm. I may need to reduce the amount I used.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,144 of 1,702
Just at the ac outlets connecting my audio equipment and router. Should try it on the one that the tv is connected to also.

I tried a little bag on my dap and the bass increase is huge. Also warmer, maybe a bit too warm. I may need to reduce the amount I used.
I think most do not fully understand the concept of absorbing EMI as I tried to layout in the DIY post. Probably my fault. So let me put it another way...

According to electrical contractors when Googling the topic, for every one square foot of a dwelling, it takes about one foot of wire to AC wire up the dwelling. So a 1200 square foot apartment takes 1200 feet of wire to provide AC to the apartment. 3500 square foot home takes 3500 feet of wire and so forth. What I have found is that our home AC wiring is acting like an antenna picking up "and accumulating" EMI/RFI from airborne sources (like Bluetooth, WIFI, radio broadcast frequencies, etc.), electrical appliances and devices on the AC circuits. How I know this is when EMI is absorbed from a point across the AC wiring, whether on the same circuit as our audio systems or not I can hear the change/lowering of the noise floor. Can be on a different circuit at the furthest part of the dwelling, absorb/remove EMI and it will effect what is heard from my audio system. The more points along the AC line (same circuit or not) that EMI is absorbed the lower the noise floor at the system end.

As I was learning this, the only way I could come up with to easily "and safely" access the AC line across all of the wiring was at what I term junction points, AC wall outlets and wall light switches. If I treat/absorb EMI from the furthest outlet from my audio system on a different circuit, I can hear the change from my audio system. The change "may not" be as profound as if it was closer to the system, but it may. By systematically absorbing EMI from the line, by treating all accessible junction points along the AC wiring within the dwelling, less is reaching the audio system. Dramatically lowering the noise floor. EMI being a very high frequency noise is deceptive, because it is not picked up or detectible with human hearing. What it does do is mask information that is on the recording, not allowing our gear to read, decode or amplify this masked information. So long as you do not "over dampen", the more EMI you remove across the AC line, not allowing the noise to accumulate, the more information is available to our audio systems to read, decode and amplify. Basically, the more junctions across the AC wiring is treated the more resolving your system will get.

Here is the caveat, do not over dampen. Rochelle salt is ideal for this type of EMI removal treatment. It is highly effective at absorbing EMI and is not conductive. It is easy to get and is inexpensive. But if you use too much it will over dampen. This is why I suggest to start, use 1 gram on the Hot line and 0.5 at the ground side. Try treating more junction points and you will understand, you will hear more and more information as you treat more junction points. Attack, decay, macro and micro dynamics, vocal purity, harmonic nuances you never knew existed. Really nuanced bass texture (across all frequencies really) with resolving gear are now unlocked. If you also have ground boxes filtering signal grounds also, resolution gets stupid.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #1,146 of 1,702
I've got half the house done and resolution is indeed stupid. I'm looking forward to stupider when more salt arrives tomorrow.
:beerchug:

And when you are all done then fine tune the tonal presentation balance to how you like it.

Will be interesting to read how you feel your system performs when the entire home is treated.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #1,147 of 1,702
Exactly where are you using the felt and 1mm sheet and how are you using them together (ie.,layered on top of each other)?

Hi CDA, I'm just laying/leaning the felt on top of or alongside the 1mm graphite foil sheet, as applicable depending on whether the latter is horizontally or vertically oriented.

The locations I tried the felt were a subset of those in my earlier post on graphite foils - see bold updates re effect of Rochelle Salt (RS) and the felt where tried.

The whole pack of 250x200mm 1mm thick graphite foil sheets is now experimentally deployed in my system like so:
  • 1 cut up & wrapped around a ground box as pictured yesterday [15 grams RS on top of foil improved dynamics and separation significantly. Felt on top of foil then RS on top more balanced, richer more nuanced]
  • 2 stacked on/over the power cables coming out of my vertically oriented Puritan power conditioner partly with the sheet also half supported by the edge of my hifi rack (1 good, 2 better - effect was so pronounced it was like a tone control turning down the treble, rather treble edginess. Took some acclimatisation, felt too much initially) [RS 13 grams - effect similar to ground box; Felt n/a - not tried yet]
  • 2 on network switches - one on the LHY on top of the copper grounding plate that's already there & another on the Netgear [3 grams RS on top of foil, a little less glare, hardness; Felt added more body to midrange]
  • 1 under the copper grounding plate resting vertically on the inputs to the master active speaker (they're both quite light so no issue) [14 grams RS, pronounced effect, resolution, dynamics, transient edges; Felt effect as for ground box]
  • 1 at the back of the sub, vertically resting on the input cables leaning against the subwoofer back plate (again a full frequency spectrum effect, so an upstream effect on the L&R amps/DAC/streamer) [RS 8 grams on top towards back plate; Felt vertical in between foil and sub - as for master speaker - big impact]
  • 2 side by side leaning against the side of my wireless router that faces the hifi (alas it's in the same room corner not ideal, I do turn wifi off from time to time when critical listening but miss the convenience) [RS n/a as not tried yet; Felt helped just a little here, more subtle]
Btw the 300x200mm 3mm thick graphite felt sheet weighs only 33 grams vs 53 grams for the 1mm foil of slightly smaller 250x200mm dimensions.

Also FYI I have yet to systematically treat cables and/or house power cabling etc as back from leave, haven't had time. By contrast very quick and easy to move the felt sheet around in my system.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #1,148 of 1,702
Hi CDA, I'm just laying/leaning the felt on top of or alongside the 1mm graphite foil sheet, as applicable depending on whether the latter is horizontally or vertically oriented.

The locations I tried the felt were a subset of those in my earlier post on graphite foils - see bold updates re effect of Rochelle Salt (RS) and the felt where tried.

The whole pack of 250x200mm 1mm thick graphite foil sheets is now experimentally deployed in my system like so:
  • 1 cut up & wrapped around a ground box as pictured yesterday [15 grams RS on top of foil improved dynamics and separation significantly. Felt on top of foil then RS on top more balanced, richer more nuanced]
  • 2 stacked on/over the power cables coming out of my vertically oriented Puritan power conditioner partly with the sheet also half supported by the edge of my hifi rack (1 good, 2 better - effect was so pronounced it was like a tone control turning down the treble, rather treble edginess. Took some acclimatisation, felt too much initially) [RS 13 grams - effect similar to ground box; Felt n/a - not tried yet]
  • 2 on network switches - one on the LHY on top of the copper grounding plate that's already there & another on the Netgear [3 grams RS on top of foil, a little less glare, hardness; Felt added more body to midrange]
  • 1 under the copper grounding plate resting vertically on the inputs to the master active speaker (they're both quite light so no issue) [14 grams RS, pronounced effect, resolution, dynamics, transient edges; Felt effect as for ground box]
  • 1 at the back of the sub, vertically resting on the input cables leaning against the subwoofer back plate (again a full frequency spectrum effect, so an upstream effect on the L&R amps/DAC/streamer) [RS 8 grams on top towards back plate; Felt vertical in between foil and sub - as for master speaker - big impact]
  • 2 side by side leaning against the side of my wireless router that faces the hifi (alas it's in the same room corner not ideal, I do turn wifi off from time to time when critical listening but miss the convenience) [RS n/a as not tried yet; Felt helped just a little here, more subtle]
Btw the 300x200mm 3mm thick graphite felt sheet weighs only 33 grams vs 53 grams for the 1mm foil of slightly smaller 250x200mm dimensions.

Also FYI I have yet to systematically treat cables and/or house power cabling etc as back from leave, haven't had time. By contrast very quick and easy to move the felt sheet around in my system.
Ok, for kicks and grins just ordered three sheets of 3mm x 200 x 300. Was $21.01 USD shipped.

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #1,149 of 1,702
I have some on the way as well.

On today's nature walk I got the idea to put a magnetite wrap around the ground pipe. It majorly turbocharged all the impact from salt wraps! More, but more precise bass slam, more fine details and texture, more holographic and engaging. Wow!

Attachments

• 20231122_012657.jpg
    20231122_012657.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #1,150 of 1,702
I have some on the way as well.

On today's nature walk I got the idea to put a magnetite wrap around the ground pipe. It majorly turbocharged all the impact from salt wraps! More, but more precise bass slam, more fine details and texture, more holographic and engaging. Wow!
Interesting, I wonder why it worked like that? Cool that it did though.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,151 of 1,702
I don't know why it works and hadn't considered it because it didn't fit my understanding of what the magnetite does.

It's sorta like wrapping salt around the fiber optics cable - no I haven't tried that but fo.Q is sure effective on it.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #1,152 of 1,702
Hi

Feedback on magnetite wrap on ac power cord .

- definitely it does reduce noise , but in some place of my audio system it does too much and remove information from the treeble .
- I did try inoxia natural and synthetic magnetite powder . The synthetic one has a stronger action
- the only place where i am using ac wrap are powering my audio server and powering my switch . On amplifier and dac , I remove it because it has a negative impact on treeble .

I do have a high end speaker system , very natural sounding and detailed . No harshness .

I also have magnetite sand I need to try .

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,153 of 1,702
Hi

Feedback on magnetite wrap on ac power cord .

- definitely it does reduce noise , but in some place of my audio system it does too much and remove information from the treeble .
- I did try inoxia natural and synthetic magnetite powder . The synthetic one has a stronger action
- the only place where i am using ac wrap are powering my audio server and powering my switch . On amplifier and dac , I remove it because it has a negative impact on treeble .

I do have a high end speaker system , very natural sounding and detailed . No harshness .

I also have magnetite sand I need to try .
So far I am only using natural Magnetite wraps at the center of power cables. I also have one power cable I do not prefer the magnetite wrap. All other power cables and 2 SMPS (route/modem and iPower X for DDC) I like with the natural wraps. FYI, if you tried the wraps not at the center of the power cable, you may want to. Sounds best at the center from my experience.

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #1,154 of 1,702
I think most do not fully understand the concept of absorbing EMI as I tried to layout in the DIY post. Probably my fault. So let me put it another way...

According to electrical contractors when Googling the topic, for every one square foot of a dwelling, it takes about one foot of wire to AC wire up the dwelling. So a 1200 square foot apartment takes 1200 feet of wire to provide AC to the apartment. 3500 square foot home takes 3500 feet of wire and so forth. What I have found is that our home AC wiring is acting like an antenna picking up "and accumulating" EMI/RFI from airborne sources (like Bluetooth, WIFI, radio broadcast frequencies, etc.), electrical appliances and devices on the AC circuits.
Just thought l should share some information, to back up the antenna theory.
l have been a long distance radio listener for 30 years, based in the UK, when conditions we good, you can hear MW stations from the USA and Canada etc.
When the Internet started to become bigger, companies where using PLT, that's Power Lines Transmission that basically uses your household sockets to transmit data from one socket to another. There was a massive campaign against these from the world of radio, mainly Radio Hams, as this PLT boxes where not filtered, and would cause interference from LW to Shortwave, and in a nut shell, all your houses AC wires would act like a giant antenna, radiating RFI.

l happened to have a next door neighbour who had PLT, he was totally unaware of the interference, and thankfully, he turned the units off during the night, so l could continue my hobby.
l actually conducted a test, using a portable radio, l could still here the noise,although weaker up the a quarter of a mile away!
And for myself,this backs up cdacosta giant antenna theory. There's no sheilding in the wiring in UK houses, your only find it on the run up to your power breaker,as it tends to be armoured.
Thankfully, the UK isp companies have moved away from PLT, and its more wireless extenders are offered.
Anyway just thought l'd share my experience, and it dies has parallels with the giant antenna theory.

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #1,155 of 1,702

According to electrical contractors when Googling the topic, for every one square foot of a dwelling, it takes about one foot of wire to AC wire up the dwelling. So a 1200 square foot apartment takes 1200 feet of wire to provide AC to the apartment. 3500 square foot home takes 3500 feet of wire and so forth. What I have found is that our home AC wiring is acting like an antenna picking up "and accumulating" EMI/RFI from airborne sources (like Bluetooth, WIFI, radio broadcast frequencies, etc.), electrical appliances and devices on the AC circuits.
Just thought l should share some information, to back up the antenna theory.
l have been a long distance radio listener for 30 years, based in the UK, when conditions we good, you can hear MW stations from the USA and Canada etc.
When the Internet started to become bigger, companies where using PLT, that's Power Lines Transmission that basically uses your household sockets to transmit data from one socket to another. There was a massive campaign against these from the world of radio, mainly Radio Hams, as these PLT boxes where not filtered, and would cause interference from LW MW to Shortwave, and in a nut shell, all your houses AC wires would act like a giant antenna, radiating RFI.

l happened to have a next door neighbour who had PLT, he was totally unaware of the interference, and thankfully, he turned the units off during the night, so l could continue my hobby.
l actually conducted a test, using a portable radio, l could still here the noise,although weaker up the a quarter of a mile away!
And for myself,this backs up cdacosta giant antenna theory. There's no sheilding in the wiring in UK houses, your only find it on the run up to your power breaker,as it tends to be armoured.
Thankfully, the UK isp companies have moved away from PLT, and its more wireless extenders are offered these days.
Anyway just thought l'd share my experience, and it does have parallels with the giant antenna theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back