DIY Ground Box Thread
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,156 of 1,701
Just thought l should share some information, to back up the antenna theory.
l have been a long distance radio listener for 30 years, based in the UK, when conditions we good, you can hear MW stations from the USA and Canada etc.
When the Internet started to become bigger, companies where using PLT, that's Power Lines Transmission that basically uses your household sockets to transmit data from one socket to another. There was a massive campaign against these from the world of radio, mainly Radio Hams, as this PLT boxes where not filtered, and would cause interference from LW to Shortwave, and in a nut shell, all your houses AC wires would act like a giant antenna, radiating RFI.

l happened to have a next door neighbour who had PLT, he was totally unaware of the interference, and thankfully, he turned the units off during the night, so l could continue my hobby.
l actually conducted a test, using a portable radio, l could still here the noise,although weaker up the a quarter of a mile away!
And for myself,this backs up cdacosta giant antenna theory. There's no sheilding in the wiring in UK houses, your only find it on the run up to your power breaker,as it tends to be armoured.
Thankfully, the UK isp companies have moved away from PLT, and its more wireless extenders are offered.
Anyway just thought l'd share my experience, and it dies has parallels with the giant antenna theory.
In my previous residence it was a new build. I had two 20 amp dedicated lines run from the panel to the listening room. Although the power was cleaner, only now I realize that even those runs would act like an antenna. Also realizing now that since the dedicated line breakers are next to the other breakers in the panel, they would pick up noise from the other breakers for the rest of the home.

Understanding better how this all really works and effects the performance in my audio system is very cool. Giving me more ideas as to how to further improve upon lowering noise at junction points we can easily access across AC wiring acting as an antenna. I shared the DIY post so others can experience the immense sonic benefits from lowering the EMI noise along our AC wiring. Appreciate that you shared your experience.

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #1,157 of 1,701
At the panel I have salt only on the breakers feeding sound system components. Based on this conversation and a photo posted earlier, I should have salt on every breaker. Good thing the salt arrived, I'm currently stuffing little baggies with white powder.

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #1,158 of 1,701
At the panel I have salt only on the breakers feeding sound system components. Based on this conversation and a photo posted earlier, I should have salt on every breaker. Good thing the salt arrived, I'm currently stuffing little baggies with white powder.
Better plan an excuse if the cops search your place.

Its gonna be difficult to explain, "I swear officer, its rochelle salt to improve the sound quality of my audio system."

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,159 of 1,701
Just thought l should share some information, to back up the antenna theory.
l have been a long distance radio listener for 30 years, based in the UK, when conditions we good, you can hear MW stations from the USA and Canada etc.
When the Internet started to become bigger, companies where using PLT, that's Power Lines Transmission that basically uses your household sockets to transmit data from one socket to another. There was a massive campaign against these from the world of radio, mainly Radio Hams, as these PLT boxes where not filtered, and would cause interference from LW MW to Shortwave, and in a nut shell, all your houses AC wires would act like a giant antenna, radiating RFI.

l happened to have a next door neighbour who had PLT, he was totally unaware of the interference, and thankfully, he turned the units off during the night, so l could continue my hobby.
l actually conducted a test, using a portable radio, l could still here the noise,although weaker up the a quarter of a mile away!
And for myself,this backs up cdacosta giant antenna theory. There's no sheilding in the wiring in UK houses, your only find it on the run up to your power breaker,as it tends to be armoured.
Thankfully, the UK isp companies have moved away from PLT, and its more wireless extenders are offered these days.
Anyway just thought l'd share my experience, and it does have parallels with the giant antenna theory.
Thats interesting because I also thought of something similar that helps to reinforce that theory.

Sometimes, its not commonly used but power lines can be used as internet lines.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #1,160 of 1,701
You will have to try and listen. In my apartment, treating across the the AC line at junctions is way more effective than at breakers. And at breakers, you will have to experiment with the amount of salt used and where. Remember, you can over damp. To know if you have over damped, is by listening.

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #1,161 of 1,701
I have tried a ground box at RCA digital in where the iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 is at the DAC, no audible difference. The iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 ground is galvanically isolated. While listening I put Rochelle salt like in the pic next to the iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 and yes improves performance. More than anything else, effects sound staging and how sounds (including echo and decay) pan 360 degrees, forward to back, back to forward, side to side, etc. In the pic is 4 grams in a bag. Worth a try.

Attachments

• 4 gram RS at iFi SPDIF iPurifier2.jpg
    4 gram RS at iFi SPDIF iPurifier2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,162 of 1,701
I have tried a ground box at RCA digital in where the iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 is at the DAC, no audible difference. The iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 ground is galvanically isolated. While listening I put Rochelle salt like in the pic next to the iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 and yes improves performance. More than anything else, effects sound staging and how sounds (including echo and decay) pan 360 degrees, forward to back, back to forward, side to side, etc. In the pic is 4 grams in a bag. Worth a try.
Thanks for the tip.. I have one of these and a DC iPurifier2 feeding it, both are excellent. Will try on both.

Has anyone directly tried on an oscillator like an OCXO yet?

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #1,163 of 1,701
Here is another must try location with Rochelle salt. I have three 24" monitors hooked up to the PC. Each have a SMPS. 2 grams at each end of the SMPS improves the video. Specifically looks like a bit higher resolution and improves color. Gave away my 70" TV when I moved so cannot test that, but I do not see any reason why would not work on TV monitors also. Worth a try.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #1,164 of 1,701
I have a calibrated pro monitor since I make money via digital imaging, will have to try this out.

It took a bit of time but my whole house is now treated with salt at all the junctions. My system now does things I've never heard in any other no matter the price. It totally craps on a couple $300k systems I heard recently.

Anyone who's still on the fence about this should just do it. I won't describe it since cdacosta had done so elegantly and accurately. For $20 and easy work you take your system performance into a whole different class.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #1,165 of 1,701
Thanks for the tip.. I have one of these and a DC iPurifier2 feeding it, both are excellent. Will try on both.

Just opened the top (slides back) of the DAC and placed Rochelle salt on the oscillator. I like it, but will have to play with the amount to use. Thanks for the idea!

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,166 of 1,701
I have a calibrated pro monitor since I make money via digital imaging, will have to try this out.

It took a bit of time but my whole house is now treated with salt at all the junctions. My system now does things I've never heard in any other no matter the price. It totally craps on a couple $300k systems I heard recently.

Anyone who's still on the fence about this should just do it. I won't describe it since cdacosta had done so elegantly and accurately. For $20 and easy work you take your system performance into a whole different class.
Yah, crazy huh? With the side benefit of learning how EMI across the AC line is accumulated and effects the performance of our audio systems. Instant system upgrade. More of a performance upgrade than any cable, line conditioner or single component upgrade. Glad you tried it and like it.

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,168 of 1,701
The better tuned the system, the easier it is to hear changes.
Agreed. Removing/absorbing EMI from across the home's AC wiring will "unlock" more of the potential of the gear one already has. The same with ground boxes that absorb high frequency noise from component's signal ground and AC earth ground. All of these different types of high frequency noise mask information that is on the recording.

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,169 of 1,701
Here is another must try location with Rochelle salt. I have three 24" monitors hooked up to the PC. Each have a SMPS. 2 grams at each end of the SMPS improves the video. Specifically looks like a bit higher resolution and improves color. Gave away my 70" TV when I moved so cannot test that, but I do not see any reason why would not work on TV monitors also. Worth a try.
Good suggestion. I have a ground box + wrap connected to the USB input of my Panasonic OLED would you believe (acting as an AV audio streamer via Toslink out into the iFi Spdif iPurifier2) YT & Netflix has never sounded so good. Have previously AB'd and picture definitely less grainy and richer colour just from those tweaks. RS here we come...

Fast forward 5 mins... Just tried it, with a 3 gram pack taped just on the input panel on the back just beside, lightly touching my iFi LAN iSilencer plugged into the ethernet port. Greater soundstage precision and delicacy of decay, adding an even more liquid and fully textured rendering of even sharp transient sounds like the electronic pings/drip sounds and their extended reverb in the huge acoustic space crafted by Trentemøller in Miss You.

Same held true of the RS 3 gram bags damping each of the iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 into my DAC/active speakers and the DC iPurifier feeding it... each further refined the soundstage depth, precision and decay. Thanks @cdacosta.

Interestingly though I could still hear the removal of the graphite felt (now halved to two A5 Pieces, 1 on top of the Ifi purifiers as above, the other on the Puritan) as the sound was a little less luscious and expansive without it.

I know you guys were meaning picture... No idea yet sorry, am preoccupied with the sound at the mo, will try later with some quality video.

FYI my TV's internal AV streamer is rather spoiled with its feed of clean power & ethernet I reckon, but I know it appreciates it as I can hear the addition of upstream RS or graphite sheets etc, or even the order of layering of graphite foil and felt... felt sounds better under the foil on top of the Puritan, with RS on top.

Power: Puritan PSM156 (+ Ground Master & dedicated ground rod + graphite sheets + fo.Q + RS)
Network: cable modem (+ RS) & router (+ 2x graphite sheets), both run off 12v Lifepo4 100Ah battery (sounds better than iFi power X IMO) + RS > Netgear switch (+ RS + graphite) > iFi LAN iSilencer #1 > LHY SW-8 (+ direct OCXO tungsten cube & fo.Q layered damping stack + grounded copper sheet lid + graphite sheet + RS + carbon & brass footers + Flux-50 style AC filter) > Furutech LAN 8-NCF > iFi LAN iSilencer #2 > TV ethernet input.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,170 of 1,701

Your killing me Jake 🤣... l've not long finished the tungsten mod on my R26... But it has got me curious...as if it has a positive effect on a clock, l could try out on my LB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back