DIY er4p to er4s conversion cable
Jun 9, 2010 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Somefears

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've owned some er4p's for a while now, and after reading some threads about the er4s's, I want to try one of those er4p to er4s conversion cables. $50 seems a little high for a cable and some resistors, though, so I am considering building my own conversion cable. I don't really know the details on one of these cables, but it seems like you just need a female to male 1/8" cable and a couple of 75 ohm resistors. Does anybody have any experience in building one of these cables? If so, I would appreciate some pointers on how create one.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 7
You can get a large enough 1/8" TRS plug (Canare comes in mind as does Switchcraft) or a smaller resistor and solder those in series (I believe?) with the cable and the plug.

Also just an FYI they sell conversion plugs (male 1/8 with resistors with a female 1/8 jack) on ebay for around 20 bucks

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Solid extensions are bad as they shift the centre of gravity of the plug. That's why I prefer 3.5mm to 6.3, as you can subtract from a 6.3 plug to get a 3.5, instead of adding to a 6.3 to get a 3.5.

As for the resistors, make sure they are within 5% of each other with a mulimeter, otherwise it's very easy.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Hmm, I hadn't thought of checking ebay. $20 isn't too bad, and it looks like they all have free shipping. I think that's what I will end up doing. Thanks for the advice. It's too bad none of them seem to be located in the U.S. though :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 7
I picked one from AW Audio on eBay a few weeks ago, actually pretty good and I have no complaint whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back