DIY Earbuds
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #4,576 of 4,718
Feb 5, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #4,577 of 4,718
You can get 14.8mm shells with pre-soldered leads by purchasing the following Color: 14.8mm shells and Color: B 4cm line 2pcs mmcx socket and connecting them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004043524681.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000541099253.html

Thanks mate. This is very helpful. For some reason the links don't seem to be working - it just lands at the Ali Express home page?

Also do the sockets need to be glued in? If so, what is the best glue to use?

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #4,578 of 4,718
Also do the sockets need to be glued in? If so, what is the best glue to use?
It's up to you whether you want it to be glued or not. FYI they do get loose over time. I prefer using epoxy resin because it's sturdier than superglue. Do make sure to dry it out first before installing the driver.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #4,579 of 4,718
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #4,581 of 4,718
Thanks all!
@Kyonnie which epoxy resin do you use and how do you dispense it in very small amounts?
I've used superglue with limited success - the flow from the tube is very quick and it seems to dry even faster than it flows, leaving a big mess!
Any generic epoxy resin would work. I just buy the cheapest clear one lol. I usually use a petri dish and dispense a small amount on it, then use a needle to apply a small amount to the intended surface. I also use this technique when applying superglue.

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #4,583 of 4,718
This can require a lot of work. 14.8mm drivers are very delicate and transferring from plastic to wooden cover can be tricky.
One more thing, mmcx on wood shell ... after a while they start to wobble. I always prefer to combine wooden shells with plastic/rubber stem.
1707341821246.png
1707342189760.png

This one is hand made shell (back part), front part is aluminum which I borrow from some destroyed buds
This is the first revision, on 2nd I removed mmcx
1707342244825.png

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #4,584 of 4,718
Hey guys, yesterday i made my first pair. 180 Ohm black lcp from Huayunxin.

Regarding tuning i just did some random thing i applied Y3 white cotton on the driver and medium density black foam on the shells with 2 free holes. I can say that its almost there but i still need tu adjust them for my liking.

Upper mids are still too forward and id like more bass, i wanna make them darker and warmer sounding. Some instruments like trumpets and pianos sound too in your face. What should i do? im at the beginning of the road and some help would be appreciated. Thanks
1000023097.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #4,585 of 4,718
Hey guys, yesterday i made my first pair. 180 Ohm black lcp from Huayunxin.

Regarding tuning i just did some random thing i applied Y3 white cotton on the driver and medium density black foam on the shells with 2 free holes. I can say that its almost there but i still need tu adjust them for my liking.

Upper mids are still too forward and id like more bass, i wanna make them darker and warmer sounding. Some instruments like trumpets and pianos sound too in your face. What should i do? im at the beginning of the road and some help would be appreciated. Thanks
1000023097.jpg
Good job! To get closer to your preference I would suggest using normal black plastic shells, drill a few more vent holes in those shells and change the Y3 for Y2 (or try it completely without it).

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #4,586 of 4,718
Good job! To get closer to your preference I would suggest using normal black plastic shells, drill a few more vent holes in those shells and change the Y3 for Y2 (or try it completely without it).
thanks, so more free holes on the driver equals more bass? should i let the HS foam on the shell untouched? i still dont quite understand what the foam on the shell and the one on the driver do to the sound.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #4,588 of 4,718
nice, im curious whats the sound signature coming out of that composite pu driver? i have it on my wishlist for some time. My preference is subbass-bass focus with neutral mids and just enough sparkle in the highs.
Unfortunately I was messing around with the tuning to see if there was further improvement and I broke the voicecoil wire on the right side like 2 days after I posted. I'll have to order a couple more drivers and build it again to accurately give sound impressions.

I did post this build info in the Earbuds Round-Up thread with links to the components.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #4,589 of 4,718
  • 150ohms, bass version (not sure about the material)
    • Stock MX500 shell:
      • These drivers had a lot more punch than the 64ohms, but that came at the expense of a slightly more fatiguing listening experience. I find that often vocals are far from me, so I find myself listening to these at higher volumes than I should, a lot of times. The detailing for most instruments is excellent, even though it sounds artificial sometimes. Fixing that would make these one of my favorite earbuds, easily.
By a lot more punch you mean in the bass or subass region?

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #4,590 of 4,718
Beautiful earbuds!
The best way to get more sub bass is to add some kind of bass tube/port and play with the inner diameter and lenght until you get the right amount of mid bass and sub bass. Since you placed the connector on top of the shell you can use the stem as a bass port. I would also suggest to try black shells since they usually have better bass (and sound) compared to transparent ones.

I doubt you can get 150BG SQ out of 64Ti, they just aren't as high quality as the BGs and there's no tuning that can fix that.
where can i find this 150BG driver please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back