DIY Earbuds
Dec 22, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #4,546 of 4,717
Thank you.

Aren't the foams acoustically transparent? Do you think sound differences are related to the foam thickness moving the driver closer or further away from our ear canal?

I have made 3 DIY sets and and I have used the same thing donut foam for each.
From my experience, those foam arent acoustically transparent. 😅 Different density and thickness could alter the sound.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #4,548 of 4,717
From my experience, those foam arent acoustically transparent. 😅 Different density and thickness could alter the sound.
You are saying that full covers make the earbud sound different to donuts or no covers?
Spent and hour or so comparing donuts and full covers on my TGX Serratus. I wasn't able to detect any difference at all. I guess that's good for me. I don't have to fuss about which covers to use.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #4,549 of 4,717
You are saying that full covers make the earbud sound different to donuts or no covers?

Spent and hour or so comparing donuts and full covers on my TGX Serratus. I wasn't able to detect any difference at all. I guess that's good for me. I don't have to fuss about which covers to use.
I can't remember a single instance where I liked a bud both naked AND with donut foams. Almost everything gets way too muddy for me.

Generally speaking, thinner foams will block out less of the treble, making you notice more bass.

Bass will also increase when the driver "faceplate" is touching your ear's conch, since it will create more air pressure.

When I'm trying out new buds or tuning my own, this is what I usually assume will happen:
  • Very thin foams (the really thin ones, that sometimes cause my ears to itch lol)
    • They will increase bass very slightly because the earbuds are touching the conch
    • Mids and treble can sound more airy and open due to it being very thin; Sometimes too much
  • Thin foams
    • Usually reduces those harsh treble spikes, it's my favorite type of foam, overall. That is, considering the sound that I already like on naked buds, it's usually what I use
    • Can sometimes reduce treble a bit too much
  • Regular foams (the ones included on most earbuds you'll purchase)
    • They usually reduce treble very noticeably
    • Reduced treble can sometimes lead to muddier sound, I save these mostly for very bright earbuds
  • Donut foams
    • I don't really like donut foams, I've only ever used it consistently with the Moondrop Nameless (combined a regular foam and a donut foam on top of it), because it's just way too bright.
      • It became my go-to earbuds for FPS games, mostly MW 2019, because it was still very bright lol, the lack of bass and sub bass made it almost a wallhack
    • I think the acoustic changes the donut foams cause are just incompatible with my sound preferences for naked buds, so I'll only use those on buds that I outright dislike.

Funny thing is that I can almost never stand donut foams and like the regular foams that tgxear ships with lol

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #4,550 of 4,717
What do people thing are the absolutely best diy buds?

I love the resolution of the TGX Serratus. I have been building a few sets all using mx500 shells with drivers of various prices. I am very excited to see whether there is a diy option even better than the Serratus.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #4,551 of 4,717
I can't remember a single instance where I liked a bud both naked AND with donut foams. Almost everything gets way too muddy for me.

Generally speaking, thinner foams will block out less of the treble, making you notice more bass.

Bass will also increase when the driver "faceplate" is touching your ear's conch, since it will create more air pressure.

When I'm trying out new buds or tuning my own, this is what I usually assume will happen:
  • Very thin foams (the really thin ones, that sometimes cause my ears to itch lol)
    • They will increase bass very slightly because the earbuds are touching the conch
    • Mids and treble can sound more airy and open due to it being very thin; Sometimes too much
  • Thin foams
    • Usually reduces those harsh treble spikes, it's my favorite type of foam, overall. That is, considering the sound that I already like on naked buds, it's usually what I use
    • Can sometimes reduce treble a bit too much
  • Regular foams (the ones included on most earbuds you'll purchase)
    • They usually reduce treble very noticeably
    • Reduced treble can sometimes lead to muddier sound, I save these mostly for very bright earbuds
  • Donut foams
    • I don't really like donut foams, I've only ever used it consistently with the Moondrop Nameless (combined a regular foam and a donut foam on top of it), because it's just way too bright.
      • It became my go-to earbuds for FPS games, mostly MW 2019, because it was still very bright lol, the lack of bass and sub bass made it almost a wallhack
    • I think the acoustic changes the donut foams cause are just incompatible with my sound preferences for naked buds, so I'll only use those on buds that I outright dislike.

Funny thing is that I can almost never stand donut foams and like the regular foams that tgxear ships with lol
It seems reasonable that foams that interfere with the seal between the earbud and the ear will result in a loss of bass. I haven't had the experience of foams reducing treble.

Thanks heaps for your detailed response :)

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #4,552 of 4,717
Few housing to play around. 🤣
IMG_20231227_043118.jpg

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #4,553 of 4,717
Marathoned my way through the thread and just ordered way too much stuff from Aliexpress. Looking forward to testing these three drivers which seem to get mentioned as decent:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...der_detail.order_detail_item.9.1cf9f19cE5xjlQ
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...er_detail.order_detail_item.13.1cf9f19cE5xjlQ
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...er_detail.order_detail_item.15.1cf9f19cE5xjlQ

If all goes well, I'll probably snap and buy this 600ohm set of drivers out of curiosity:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...!sea!UK!724410456!&curPageLogUid=3149DfDwPE2O

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #4,557 of 4,717
Does anyone have links to downloads for 3D printable shells?
AsciiSuki's DIY Flat-head earbud (15.4mm)
@Mr.HiAudio RIOBuds (github has not been updated lately): https://github.com/RomanLikhachev/RIOBuds
also Version3 RIOBuds post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17249223

Hey guys Im new here. Have you a chart or something for these drivers to explain sound quality?
Which one is better for sound?
Link in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/post-17737546

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #4,558 of 4,717
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #4,559 of 4,717
My order of the 64ohm Comp. Ti. just arrived. Very popular here. I just put them together, stock, no mods and wow they sound pretty damn good--I can't imagine what modding them would do. I'm still waiting for a few pieces to arrive before I mod them, being it would be my first attempt at a rivet mod.

Which shell are you using. I found the 64 ohm Comp Ti. driver to be very muffled. Removing the stock damping pad improved it a tiny bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back