DIY Earbuds
Nov 30, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #4,531 of 4,718
Hi All ,
I need help fixing my headphone cable. I somehow managed to damage my headphone Shure SE215 original headphone cable. The cable is Shure RMCE-Uni .I lost my mic input after my cable was crushed, however the sound output was working fine. I thought the mic wire must have been severed and so I cut out the damaged portion and thought of soldering the remaining cable. There are 5 wires I can identify :
Image Link

1. Green
  2. Red
  3. Copper + glass wool (white)
  4. Copper (without white)
  5. Red intertwined with Copper
I can get the L/R audio working ( Green and the Red wires ) but cannot get the mic working in spite of connecting the respective color wires.

Things I have tried (after burning off the coating on the wires and cleaning them, then using sandpaper to expose the copper) :
  1. All the respective wires connected. Audio out works but no mic
  2. I even tried just connecting the copper and red wires of Wire-5 separately but even that didn't work
PS: I did have a spare MMCX cable ordered, but I really want to fix this original cable.
Any Help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #4,535 of 4,718
Hi All ,
I need help fixing my headphone cable. I somehow managed to damage my headphone Shure SE215 original headphone cable. The cable is Shure RMCE-Uni .I lost my mic input after my cable was crushed, however the sound output was working fine. I thought the mic wire must have been severed and so I cut out the damaged portion and thought of soldering the remaining cable. There are 5 wires I can identify :
Image Link

1. Green
  2. Red
  3. Copper + glass wool (white)
  4. Copper (without white)
  5. Red intertwined with Copper
I can get the L/R audio working ( Green and the Red wires ) but cannot get the mic working in spite of connecting the respective color wires.

Things I have tried (after burning off the coating on the wires and cleaning them, then using sandpaper to expose the copper) :
  1. All the respective wires connected. Audio out works but no mic
  2. I even tried just connecting the copper and red wires of Wire-5 separately but even that didn't work
PS: I did have a spare MMCX cable ordered, but I really want to fix this original cable.
Any Help is appreciated.
You need use a multimeter to measure the plug to wire ends. If you don't have a multimeter, then you need to buy or borrow one for testing purposes. The plug is tip, ring, ring, ring. Tip = left, 1st ring = right, 2nd ring can be common or microphone, 3rd ring can be common or microphone. I think you have an open microphone wire.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #4,536 of 4,718
My latest build. 18Ω PU+Titanium composite driver.

DIY 18Ω driver.jpg

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,538 of 4,718
Love it! Link to the shells / driver if you have time?
Sure thing.

15.4mm 18Ω PU+Titanium driver (includes shells)
3.5mmSE cable
Medium density tuning cotton (black foam horseshoe)

Put the tuning cotton on the shell. face the VC at the top of the shell. That will give you a good start in the tuning. You can then use the foam "socks" to customize the sound further. More bass, go with thick full foams, want to increase the high end while having that thumping bass, use a donut foam. My preference is to use a thin full foam for best balance.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #4,539 of 4,718
Gotta say I really appreciate you compiling these 'drag and drop' builds.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4,540 of 4,718
Gotta say I really appreciate you compiling these 'drag and drop' builds.
Thanks, I hope you build a couple of them and give your impressions of how they sound to you. I would also encourage you and those into DIY buds to share some builds and tips too.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #4,541 of 4,718
Thanks, I hope you build a couple of them and give your impressions of how they sound to you. I would also encourage you and those into DIY buds to share some builds and tips too.

I have done some DIY, though more so messing around with shell design. Will definitely try some of these builds though.

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #4,542 of 4,718
Sure thing.

15.4mm 18Ω PU+Titanium driver (includes shells)
3.5mmSE cable
Medium density tuning cotton (black foam horseshoe)

Put the tuning cotton on the shell. face the VC at the top of the shell. That will give you a good start in the tuning. You can then use the foam "socks" to customize the sound further. More bass, go with thick full foams, want to increase the high end while having that thumping bass, use a donut foam. My preference is to use a thin full foam for best balance.

Just following along :)

What do you mean by foam socks? And, what is a donut foam?

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #4,543 of 4,718
Just following along :)

What do you mean by foam socks? And, what is a donut foam?
I think he means something like these.IMG_20231220_202230.jpg
Donut foam cover left and Full foam cover right.
1703073914500.jpg
It's what we use to make earbuds fit better in our ears and it can also change how it sounds kinda like IEMs eartips or Headphones Earpads.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #4,544 of 4,718
I think he means something like these.IMG_20231220_202230.jpg
Donut foam cover left and Full foam cover right.
1703073914500.jpg
It's what we use to make earbuds fit better in our ears and it can also change how it sounds kinda like IEMs eartips or Headphones Earpads.
Thank you.

Aren't the foams acoustically transparent? Do you think sound differences are related to the foam thickness moving the driver closer or further away from our ear canal?

I have made 3 DIY sets and and I have used the same thing donut foam for each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back