DIY Earbuds
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #4,367 of 4,721
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #4,368 of 4,721
Hey guys, whats up?
I am a total beginner on this diy earbuds topic but i want to try making one
Can u guys recommend a suitable driver for beginners thay is available in aliexpress.
Prefered sound signature: warm and smooth.
Thanks

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,369 of 4,721
Hey guys, whats up?
I am a total beginner on this diy earbuds topic but i want to try making one
Can u guys recommend a suitable driver for beginners thay is available in aliexpress.
Prefered sound signature: warm and smooth.
Thanks
I recommend the 15.4mm 18 ohm, the one with black/white driver cover to choose

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #4,371 of 4,721
Hello everyone,
This is my first time in this thread. I've read through the DIY Earbuds Guide google spreadsheet and looked at some of the different well known mods and builds such as those by @Rary and @furyossa which has been interesting to read.

I've been using red Vido's with Trig Rain foams for the last couple of months and I'm blown away by the sound quality, especially for the price. I find myself using these earbuds more often than my IEMs because they're just so light and open. They do need a bit of EQ to get decent sub-bass, slightly more upper-mids, and to remove some treble peaks.
Vido EQ.PNG

I'm interested in learning how to make and tune my own earbuds and if possible I'd also like to try this with drivers that can be tuned to have more sub-bass extension and smoother treble than the Vido's. I have made one pair of DIY CIEMs last year so I'm not completely new to DIY, but I am new to earbuds so I'd like to start on the lower end (say below €30 for all the parts) and preferably with multiple pairs of drivers in case I accidentally ruin a pair or maybe to learn how to do more difficult mods like the rivet mod. My source is a FiiO M5, so not the most powerful but I'm sure it can handle stuff up to 100 Ohms.
I was thinking of either getting 2-3 pairs of the 32 Ohm 19-21 Red Dot's, 2-3 pairs of the 64 Ohm 19-21 Blue Dot Ti's, or a set of the 64 Ohm Emx500 Ti's. Obviously also cheap cables, shells, tuning materials, and M2.4 rivets. What would you guys recommend for a beginner?

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #4,372 of 4,721
Hello everyone,
This is my first time in this thread. I've read through the DIY Earbuds Guide google spreadsheet and looked at some of the different well known mods and builds such as those by @Rary and @furyossa which has been interesting to read.

I've been using red Vido's with Trig Rain foams for the last couple of months and I'm blown away by the sound quality, especially for the price. I find myself using these earbuds more often than my IEMs because they're just so light and open. They do need a bit of EQ to get decent sub-bass, slightly more upper-mids, and to remove some treble peaks.

I'm interested in learning how to make and tune my own earbuds and if possible I'd also like to try this with drivers that can be tuned to have more sub-bass extension and smoother treble than the Vido's. I have made one pair of DIY CIEMs last year so I'm not completely new to DIY, but I am new to earbuds so I'd like to start on the lower end (say below €30 for all the parts) and preferably with multiple pairs of drivers in case I accidentally ruin a pair or maybe to learn how to do more difficult mods like the rivet mod. My source is a FiiO M5, so not the most powerful but I'm sure it can handle stuff up to 100 Ohms.
I was thinking of either getting 2-3 pairs of the 32 Ohm 19-21 Red Dot's, 2-3 pairs of the 64 Ohm 19-21 Blue Dot Ti's, or a set of the 64 Ohm Emx500 Ti's. Obviously also cheap cables, shells, tuning materials, and M2.4 rivets. What would you guys recommend for a beginner?
You might as well buy the better drivers as they're cheap enough.

Since you'll be doing multiple sets buy plenty of tuning materials to experiment with.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #4,373 of 4,721
Hello everyone,

Vido EQ.PNG

I recommend you 32ohm N52 Blue Glue.
https://aliexpress.com/item/33031053227.html

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #4,374 of 4,721
You might as well buy the better drivers as they're cheap enough.

Since you'll be doing multiple sets buy plenty of tuning materials to experiment with.
Thank you for your input. You're right I might as well get the EMX500 Ti with how much praise it's getting and how little it actually costs.
Any tuning materials I should get beyond mixed horse shoe foams, mixed white (paper?) tuning filters, and M2.4 rivets?

This driver does look promising and from the impressions I get of people who made a build with this driver it would fit my preferences, though I think I'll still get the EMX500 Ti for my first builds. If my first few builds turn out well I might order these later.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #4,375 of 4,721
Thank you for your input. You're right I might as well get the EMX500 Ti with how much praise it's getting and how little it actually costs.
Any tuning materials I should get beyond mixed horse shoe foams, mixed white (paper?) tuning filters, and M2.4 rivets?
Medical tape (its porous).

Maybe a small in size set of drill bits and hand/finger drill to hold/use them? May work better than rivets as you could tune the size.

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #4,380 of 4,721
hi guys, long time no see :)

Any feedback about these drivers ? looks interesting :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004273477814.html

These light blue ones are the drivers in the TGXEAR Serratus, which is made by Jim Park (@tgx78.

Apparently, it's really hard to get it to sound good but Jim was able to tune it so well that it has become my favorite bud.

There is a dark blue version of it which is supposedly just bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back