DIY Earbuds
Sep 12, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3,961 of 4,718
Any particular reason why? I'd probably just buy an x6, they're not too pricey IIRC. Or do you just want to experiment?

Do you just want a better cable or connector? Buy an X6 and mod it, would be my recommendation.

Of course you are right.
I already bought it more than once.
I want to make a few pieces of my own custom earbuds to give them and i love the sound of the X6, so i want to make it sound similar.
I am just wondering if the most important is the driver, or something else in tuning.
I 'll have to experiment nevertheless

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,963 of 4,718
anyone tried stacking white tuning cotton?
i just tried double y5 and its great for reducing bass.

edit: nvm, i forgot to turn off my EQ 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Sort of reminds me of a few years ago, when I was first testing some earbuds.
At that time, an iFi Micro iDSD was my only earphone amp, and I was also using the pre-amp output to drive some PreSonus Eris 4.5 Powered Studio Monitors on my desk, and a Polk PSW110 Powered Subwoofer under the desk.
When I connected the earbuds, I switched off the monitors, but forgot to switch off the subwoofer. :wink:
My first impression was that the earbuds had amazing Bass! :smiley:
And, then I noticed that the subwoofer was still on... :rolling_eyes:

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #3,964 of 4,718
Today i tried to fix the Kbear stellar.
My pair had really bad channel imbalance and tonality. The quality control on these is abysmal, Vidos cost less than half the money and they have better build quality and components (and they sound much better).

I used a bottle opener to pop off the drivers. They didn't use glue so it was a fast and easy process, you can see the drivers in the photo below.
1.jpg

At first i suspected the channel imbalance was caused by the misplaced drivers (in one shell the driver was placed almost in the center, in the other it was placed directly above the left vents) but it was much worse than i thought. One of the shells had the faux vents glued, the other free.
2.jpg

I tried to drill the glue but to make sure i won't get any more channel imbalance i opted for gluing both sides. I also drilled the bass port open (1mm hole).
5.jpg

I then tried to change tuning foam and i discovered they used 2 layers of white tuning paper... At least they tried to (badly) tune them?
6.jpg

I added 2 pieces of black thick foam on the shell and a ball of cotton wool in the back. On the drivers i left only 1 layer of What. I also tried to paint the shells but it didn't end up looking too nice.
9.jpg
8.jpg

Now it's more balanced, bass is reduced and highs are less fatiguing. I think i also improved clarity. Overall, i got a good beater pair, perfect for general purpose.
The tuning can still be improved a lot but i think that it isn't really worth going any further.

Update 22/09/2021
I removed the last filter on the drivers and i replaced the cotton wool with a piece of paper duct tape in the back. NOW they are sounding good, try this if you have a pair laying around.
1632261940450.png

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,967 of 4,718
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3,968 of 4,718
Been busy with my m565c and he4xx modding, about to mod some grados and possibly e-mu purple hearts

Was wondering how good your guys mods are going? Anything exciting in the diy buds? Any new driver beating the 500ohm,400ohm, 130, 64ohm ti composite or the 19-21?

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #3,969 of 4,718
Been busy with my m565c and he4xx modding, about to mod some grados and possibly e-mu purple hearts

Was wondering how good your guys mods are going? Anything exciting in the diy buds? Any new driver beating the 500ohm,400ohm, 130, 64ohm ti composite or the 19-21?

I'm currently experimenting with rivets, nothing that wasn't already done before but so far i think i managed to get some great sounding earbuds.

64ohm Ti (blue dots), currently my favorite pair:
IMG_20210920_220041.jpg

I also tested inverted rivets and i personally like how it came out, the sound is weird but still very enjoyable.

32ohm Ti Composite aka "Shrek":
IMG_20210920_220048.jpg

I will eventually try copper/brass tubes but i don't currently have the right equipment to properly bend them.
Some new expensive carbon/lcp/beryllium 300ohm drivers popped up last week but they sold out immediately, so nothing really new for now.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #3,970 of 4,718
300ohm berry's sound pretty interesting, thanks, will see if I can find out more

I played with hearing aid sound tubes with success, I too thought about copper tubes but didn't want to invest in the tools

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3,972 of 4,718
So my latest mod is also an improvement in fit, on the already great fitting K's bell shell. MMCX converted my old LB cable for the LBBS I already MMCX converted.

Wearing them down is way more stable now that there is something that sits in the inter-tragic notch. That and adding a chin cinch.

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #3,975 of 4,718
Fantasy: a short review on 68 graphene drivers

Sound signature preference: midcentric with bass boost.
Genres: Mostly Bossa Nova, Jazz, J-Pop, Acoustic, Prog. Rock, Classical Music and a little bit of everything.

SS: Slightly W-shaped, with midbass being a little recessed and treble being the star of the show.

BASS: I use an Urbanfun YBF as my daily driver, so note that this might bias my opinion,since they are truly bass canons. Now, as you would expect from a graphene driver, not the best bass out there but, you can truly enjoy Heavy-bass tracks, suck as Lo-Fi and Flea's bass lines. Not recessed, you can hear it clearly, but lacks depth IMO. Can't compare to beryllium in this department, but i'd say that its coherent and there are no major problems here. Not as much texture as the mids and the treble but it exists and its good in its own way.

8.9/10

MIDS
: The part of music I most care for. Hard to describre this one hahaha. As I said, the midbass is slightly recessed and the treble accentuated, which results in very airy mids, with excellent instrument separation and clarity. As a vocal lover, I like them intimate, but you don't get it here (all the time).You actually get a surprising realistic distance between your ears and the voices and almost-intimate vocals when they are required, in João Gilberto songs in which the vocal play a big part, they sound close enough. But there's a problem here (or not, depending on your taste) they are not smooth. They are crude, I even would say harsh and wrong depending on the singer. Nothing killer, but if you like buttery smooth sound as I do, skip these. Guitars and pianos sound very coherent with great and unfatiging solos.

9.2/10

TREBLE
: The star of the show! For anyone that really like Hi hats, cymbals and such these are a must! Now, this is very highlighted in the songs, so that can turn a little fating if you plan to use them for long sessions. The texture and timbre tho are absolutely god tier. They are in the edge to sound aggressive, they almost get there, very close actually, if you listen in really high volume but to me, its fine as long you don't use them for 3-4 hours straight. The song that I most like to test this aspect is Everybody loves the Sunshine by Takuya Kuroda. If the treble is too aggressive and forward, you can't finish the song. This tho, can play it very well. not being fating at all, which is quite a surprise to me. Violins sound SO good, really great.

10/10

I indicate these for:

=> Everyone that loves the drums and percussion instruments. Seriously highlighted here and it has quality in every aspect of it.
=> Trebleheads
=> Anyone that want an endgame and a great all rounder

I can't indicate for anyone that:

=> Wants buttery smooth sound
=> Have bright sources

Edit:. Same tuning I did with Bery 32 ohms.

Attachments

• b45036d6-6f0d-4803-8c33-64f536db0a1e.jpg
    b45036d6-6f0d-4803-8c33-64f536db0a1e.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back