DIY Earbuds
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,991 of 4,718
@assassin10000
Thank you.

I expected Ksearphone had used aftermarket drivers but I was wrong.
Are the side foams all the tuning used?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,993 of 4,718
Greetings everyone! I'm new to diy and finally managed to finish reading through this thread. Not sure how much I can absorb though lol.

Need some drivers recommendation to start on a build. I'm looking for a driver that sounds like the RY4S plus or if it can be even better than it the more better.

I own a number of buds like VE Monk+, Monk SM, Faaeal Iris Ancestor, K's earphone 64, Tingo TG38s(2nd favourite), RY4S plus(my favourite! ).

Thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #3,994 of 4,718
Greetings everyone! I'm new to diy and finally managed to finish reading through this thread. Not sure how much I can absorb though lol.

Need some drivers recommendation to start on a build. I'm looking for a driver that sounds like the RY4S plus or if it can be even better than it the more better.

I own a number of buds like VE Monk+, Monk SM, Faaeal Iris Ancestor, K's earphone 64, Tingo TG38s(2nd favourite), RY4S plus(my favourite! ).

Thanks in advance!
I'm just starting out myself, got a few packages going through customs and going to be arriving in a few days, but maybe to help folks out:

What sound signature do you prefer? What does the RY4S+ (for those who don't have them) sound like, and what aspects do you like from them?

Also, what music do you listen to?

Are there any drivers you're currently looking at?

Many drivers have specific sound sigs, but much of that depends on tuning. Coming from my DIY headphone days, mid-centric drivers that earbuds tend to have can vary wildly in sound sigs depending on tuning.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #3,995 of 4,718

Thanks in advance!
Hello and welcome. :beerchug:
You seem to like fun V shaped sound signatures so as a first cheap build i would recommend either DIY EMX500 drivers ( the same used in RY4S+) or N50 Red rim (fun sound, more bassy than RY4S). You should also consider buying a bunch of 2$ Vidos to practice soldering and basic tuning (they also sound really good for the price).

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,996 of 4,718
I'm just starting out myself, got a few packages going through customs and going to be arriving in a few days, but maybe to help folks out:

What sound signature do you prefer? What does the RY4S+ (for those who don't have them) sound like, and what aspects do you like from them?

Also, what music do you listen to?

Are there any drivers you're currently looking at?

Many drivers have specific sound sigs, but much of that depends on tuning. Coming from my DIY headphone days, mid-centric drivers that earbuds tend to have can vary wildly in sound sigs depending on tuning.
thanks Botbyte. Just realised you were the one that posted this https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/post-16609153

What I listen to: Jazz, Rock, and a bit of everything else

Sorry I'm not sure how to describe the sound signatures. With Monk+, Ancestor I find the vocals seems like muffled, as if like they are singing behind a mask. On the Ry4s plus the veil seems removed. Everything else sounds better too.

Just saw Rary's comment so I guess this is what is considered as "fun v shaped"

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,997 of 4,718
Hello and welcome. :beerchug:
You seem to like fun V shaped sound signatures so as a first cheap build i would recommend either DIY EMX500 drivers ( the same used in RY4S+) or N50 Red rim (fun sound, more bassy than RY4S). You should also consider buying a bunch of 2$ Vidos to practice soldering and basic tuning (they also sound really good for the price).
Thank you Rary for the welcome and suggestions. Alright I will try as per your suggestions.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #3,998 of 4,718
Just got the "main" package in. Full TI 64ohm, 19-21, and PK shells.

I threw the 19-21s in some Yincrow X6 shells (I killed a driver by opening and thinking, "Oh, did a hair fall in, better pull that out... *yank* that was a driver coil...") with cheapy RY cables. The shell is properly drilled out in the cable stem area, black horseshoe foam on the shell, bare driver. Only additional thing I did was cut a notch at top of the shell where the driver would fit to avoid any issues.

Impression of 19-21: Bright, mid-forward and a bit lean on the bass (in this config). Compared to the X6s, like night and day. I was missing a touch of upper-mids and especially highs on the X6 for rock and acoustic stuff; the 19-21s deliver that. More intimate sounding with a strong center image, not as spacious in soundstage but I prefer that with brighter tunings. Bass is still there, but not as much punch and some roll-off into sub-bass. It kicks for songs that kick, but doesn't when not called for. I did full-foams with these otherwise the highs get a bit hot. Overall, exciting and has a great balance for non-bass-heavy music, great companion to the X6s. Power-side: Low sensitivity kind of makes me push them more.

Quick edit: As @Rary pointed out below, I put shrink tubing on the cable through the shell stem--would block much of the air. Forgot to mention that due to me being used to headphones. It's not a super tight fit, but still filling quite a lot of gap. That's why I'm getting a brighter sig, but the bass still delivers enough to satisfy. I'll try taking the tubing off later down the road, but still enjoying the sound they produce right now for the music I intend to use them for.

LATER EDIT: Without the shrink tube blocking some air escaping, the bass really does open up. Like others have said, very rumbly and reaches low, but it's very clean and mid-bass is a bit leaner compared to other warmer sets like the X6. These truly are V-shaped with deep reaching bass and sparkly highs. Vocals are forward, and not very warm which makes them clean and engaging. Something about the highs brings me back to them; they can be a bit sharp, but in a pleasant way where as other drivers can seem just too sharp. These drivers really are just good-old-fun.

On my next order I'll get some tuning cotton and foam, so I'll try some stuff.

@Drcynwa17, I'd add these to your list. Cheap and good for your genres. Not Jazz, but Marvin Gaye sounded good on these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000281063945.html

20211025_161453.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #3,999 of 4,718

I threw the 19-21s in some Yincrow X6 shells (I killed a driver by opening and thinking, "Oh, did a hair fall in, better pull that out... *yank* that was a driver coil...") with cheapy RY cables. The shell is properly drilled out in the cable stem area, black horseshoe foam on the shell, bare driver. Only additional thing I did was cut a notch at top of the shell where the driver would fit to avoid any issues.

Impression of 19-21: Bright, mid-forward and a bit lean on the bass (in this config). Compared to the X6s, like night and day. I was missing a touch of upper-mids and especially highs on the X6 for rock and acoustic stuff; the 19-21s deliver that. More intimate sounding with a strong center image, not as spacious in soundstage but I prefer that with brighter tunings. Bass is still there, but not as much punch and some roll-off into sub-bass. It kicks for songs that kick, but doesn't when not called for. I did full-foams with these otherwise the highs get a bit hot. Overall, exciting and has a great balance for non-bass-heavy music, great companion to the X6s. Power-side: Low sensitivity kind of makes me push them more.

@Drcynwa17, I'd add these to your list. Cheap and good for your genres. Not Jazz, but Marvin Gaye sounded good on these.

Good job, it looks really good!
I see you learned about the voice coil the hard way :laughing:

19-21 Red Dots usually have a lot of rumbly bass, it's their defining feature. You probably reduced or plugged the stem with that black shrinking tube i see in the photo.
Of course if you like how it sounds now, there's no need to change anything. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #4,000 of 4,718
Good job, it looks really good!
I see you learned about the voice coil the hard way :laughing:

19-21 Red Dots usually have a lot of rumbly bass, it's their defining feature. You probably reduced or plugged the stem with that black shrinking tube i see in the photo.
Of course if you like how it sounds now, there's no need to change anything. :thumbsup:
I'm not used to teeny-tiny stuff so I was a bit bummed. But that's also why I had a second pair. :thumbsup:

Oph, good catch there! :thumbsup:

The shrink tube was the one thing I didn't mention, but yeah totally could drown out some bass with that. On the upside, it cuts out the cable from wiggling in the hole. Still, I like the sound they put out. But like you in your spreadsheet often say, MX500 needs some more air. Additional thing too: I put a tiny tube of shrink tubing on the positive lead to the driver--not enough to mess with the sound, but enough protection to keep anything from shorting when stuffed into the shell.

I think on my next order I'll get a bag of cheap MX500 shells to just experiment like crazy with. Torture them with the drill. 👿

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #4,001 of 4,718
Wich do you think are the main differences between the Vidos and the Yincrow X6, on how they are build?
The yincrows are wonderful.
They have the same driver, right?
So is the tuning foam the only difference?
Maybe a better shell?
Or something else?

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #4,002 of 4,718
Wich do you think are the main differences between the Vidos and the Yincrow X6, on how they are build?
The yincrows are wonderful.
They have the same driver, right?
So is the tuning foam the only difference?
Maybe a better shell?
Or something else?
Different tuning only

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #4,003 of 4,718

Quick edit: As @Rary pointed out below, I put shrink tubing on the cable through the shell stem--would block much of the air. Forgot to mention that due to me being used to headphones. It's not a super tight fit, but still filling quite a lot of gap. That's why I'm getting a brighter sig, but the bass still delivers enough to satify. I'll try taking the tubing off later down the road, but still enjoying the sound they produce right now for the music I intend to use them for.

20211025_161453.jpg
Same cable different drivers ( 150 ohm )

Attachments

• jj_blue-3.jpg
    jj_blue-3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back