DIY Earbuds
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #3,856 of 4,718
ShoonTH ESEP-01BL has fast buss and wide stage (stock variant) and precise imaging
120ohm LCP driver has light bass and is also fast.
IMO, LCP only have cleaner mids and highs in comparison with ShoonTH.
All in all, both models are good
With 130Ohm LCP I clearly don't have same opinion. It has a good quantity of bass with superb definition. The sound stage is deep and averagely wide.

Strange that there is difference.

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #3,857 of 4,718
With 130Ohm LCP I clearly don't have same opinion. It has a good quantity of bass with superb definition. The sound stage is deep and averagely wide.

Strange that there is difference.
If you remove stock filter, you will feel the difference :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #3,858 of 4,718
Is anybody into cards lately?

PK-hearts.png

For this build I had to make a large vent hole, for an experiment... more on that later.

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #3,861 of 4,718
You can say it like that. Look:
test-measurements.jpg
Red: PK-Hearts (I named it so dont look it up on Google)
Green: PK tr. film 150Ohm
Orange: Long-Docomo Tr. film 150Ohm

The cable is from Ali. I use these exclusively. I like the plug. :grinning:

Wow!

Would you mind sharing us all the tricks to get such a FR, including drivers and link for the cable?

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #3,864 of 4,718

Attachments

• 20210809_233818.jpg
    20210809_233818.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210809_232210.jpg
    20210809_232210.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #3,865 of 4,718
Here I am sharing my experiment with the result that lead to PK Hearts.
To replicate this You will need a few more tools and parts.
Part list is on the bottom.

P_20210815_090229.jpg

The story:
I have experimented with the shell I showed in this post. After the second attemt to finish those damn mmxc connectors on the cable, and two broken front cover, I found my eyes pop open when I heard the driver in that. I have tried all my shells with the 14.8mm titanium driver, until I have just found out this particular driver likes open back, with very little damping. I have measured the vent on the blue metal shell, it is 6mm in diameter. So, this was my target vent area.

The driver is called "14.8mm 32 Ohm Speaker Unit Flat Earphones DIY Titanium Diaphragm Earbuds Drivers 116dB"
Link: here. If the link stops working, then search for the title above.
The cover will not fit PK shells! It needs a modified original PK shell.
If You have read my post about the blue metal shell, You already know that You can use that without replacing the cover. Just don't try to remove it.
I turn back to the PK shell, as I will rather direct solder new cable anytime than make those damn mmcx connectors again.

So, back to the PK shell.
I measured the vent holes, and calculated the vent hole area.
PK-hearts-01.png

You see, the original vent is not sufficient enough, not even close.
But I did not want to drill a 6mm hole on the back, that would have been look dumb.

I had to find shapes, and calculate the total area to match the 28 sqmm hole.
Here are some expamples.
PK-hearts-02.png

I wanted to have something "final" not just messing with a shell. So I drawn shapes on the shell with a pencil.
I also needed to be able to measure the area, so I started with circles and squares (rectangles).
On the last two You see how the heart shape came together with aproximated area.
There are other shapes You can draw, of course, until You follow the vent area numbers.

:bulb:I am interested in Your ideas, if You have drawing skills, and able to measure the drawing area as well.

The vent cover / damping is thin felt glued in, I used black and red to mimic playing cards.
The audition result is very impressive. I have always heard "unheard" potential in this driver, but until this could not make sound it this good.

@rprodrigues
The cable I use is available with bending jack only in black.
I have asked the store for other colours, but no other is available than black.

These are the parts needed:

You can buy these on Aliexpress on the links above.
These parts may not sold in 1pcs quantity, so the total BOM would be ~€36 +VAT excl. shipping at the moment if You do not already have parts.

Tools I used:
  • PCB drill or dremmel
  • Various drills and routing heads around 0.8-1mm
  • measuring caliper
  • pencil
  • calculator
  • craft glue for the felt

final notes:
The PK shell in this article needs the cable tunnel and bass ports to be drilled as well.
The bass port is not open on the end, You need to drill it open, and the cable tunnel depending on Your cable diameter.

It is a good DIY project. Have fun! :beerchug:

Attachments

• titanium-driver.jpg
    titanium-driver.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
  • driver-ti.jpg
    driver-ti.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,869 of 4,718
To reveal what is behind the different colored dots on the various PK1 redfilm drivers I have I made a series of measurements.
Again, these are only comparable to the frequency response graphs on the same screenshot, and my test rig is not perfect.
These were the candidates:
PK0-redfilm-various-dots.jpg

I soldered these each after each on a long docomo shell, and run the test.
The one not shown is the transparent film (not red) version, because it was originally in the shell, so I added it before measured these.
Every driver including the transparent one was measured more than one time.

These are my results:
PK1-compsridon-dots-v-Tr.png
Well, because the fitting inperfections that I have with the test rig, and we also face in real life, I could consider these identical.
BUT wouldn't be fun without taking sides, would it?
Then I would say the 3. 4. and 5. had softer roll off than 1. and 2.
The PK1 transparent film 150 Ohm driver is quite different, and have more roll off.

My last graph ... i could not resist, is the PK1 transparent film (in long docomo shell) and the PK-Hearts.
These two are very much similar, with the PK-Hearts having well... superior bass extension and a little more spark.
PK-Heart-vs-PK1-TR.jpg

That's it for now. I have settled with my two favourite, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back