DIY Earbuds
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,661 of 4,718
My 130ohm beryllium earbuds 🧨
My new 130ohm Bery build :wink:
IMG_20210623_233248.jpg

I tested today 3 type of shells, first my previous mod_2 (metal shell medium cavity size),
then I tried K314 shell and this is the final mod_4 (MX500 silver shell)
These are measurements
:test.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #3,663 of 4,718
I open my HE150Pro to investigate what's going on under the hood
The shell looks nice and clean inside, at the back they use small piece of cotton filter to block outside noise and the main vent (stem) is not sealed.
On the right side is my broken OG HE150 driver. They look the same but on pro version ground wire is placed on the right side. You can see dark blue marker dot is on the opposite side. I saw a similar case with BGVP DX5. I don't know why they switch the side like that and what is the purpose in general.
IMG_20210624_111324.jpg
Also the use very thick black foam on the back of the driver
IMG_20210624_111522.jpg

I plan to swap this cable because it's thin because and gets quite tangled. I will try to correct the mid-bass which is a little more dominant. By the way, this model is known for its great sub-bass and huge soundstage

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #3,665 of 4,718
quick & dirty diy couplers, based on Diestel PTB.
156156111501.jpg
65425444.jpg
It's looks like some kind of seashell or coral lamp. :beerchug: At least it works :wink: BTW... you are a sculptor by profession?

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,666 of 4,718
My new 130ohm Bery build :wink:
IMG_20210623_233248.jpg

I tested today 3 type of shells, first my previous mod_2 (metal shell medium cavity size),
then I tried K314 shell and this is the final mod_4 (MX500 silver shell)
These are measurements
:test.jpg
Hi,

How did you tune 130Ohm Berry into your MX500 shell ?

I've tried to put them into a metal shell (medium size cavity) like you've shown into one of your post, but I have too much (for me) harshness into highs.

I've put them into an MX500 shell with a pure copper wire with a black horseshoe with a little bit of blue tack into the shell to avoid resonance, but still to much harshness into highs.

For example, Unforgiven from Metallica is messy and inaudible for me.

Too bad because I really appreciate it's bass and mids.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #3,667 of 4,718
Hi,

How did you tune 130Ohm Berry into your MX500 shell ?

I've tried to put them into a metal shell (medium size cavity) like you've shown into one of your post, but I have too much (for me) harshness into highs.

I've put them into an MX500 shell with a pure copper wire with a black horseshoe with a little bit of blue tack into the shell to avoid resonance, but still to much harshness into highs.

For example, Unforgiven from Metallica is messy and inaudible for me.

Too bad because I really appreciate it's bass and mids.
Yes the bass and mids are good but if you reduce size of the cavity the thing will get even worst. Don't add stuff inside the shell. For my mod I use also horseshoe black foam on the shell and stock white tuning paper on the driver and full foam over cover. I also noticed that highs is a bit too much on high volume.
Try first with full foam and full foam + donuts over.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,668 of 4,718
Another late night build "Dark Star" (because of dark signature)
IMG_20210624_210706.jpg
This time I try 300ohm N52 with DP100 shell which is one of the most comfortable shells for 15.4 drivers.
About tuning: It is the same as on metal-wood shell - Y3 tuning paper + horseshoe black foam over the driver and I added Y3 (two pieces) over shell vents.
(posted here)

Interestingly, even though it is a totally different shell, the frequency graph does not show much change. Only because of better comfort, the details are a little clearer
test.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #3,669 of 4,718
It's looks like some kind of seashell or coral lamp. :beerchug: At least it works :wink: BTW... you are a sculptor by profession?
I'm not a sculptor :smiley:
it's made from tissues paper and CA glue, and a clay moulded from my own ear (left: concha only, right: full pinna).

with 3 volume coupler to simulate middle ear impedance. Old design, but IMO not much different from today generic 711 standard.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #3,670 of 4,718
Another late night build "Dark Star" (because of dark signature)
IMG_20210624_210706.jpg
This time I try 300ohm N52 with DP100 shell which is one of the most comfortable shells for 15.4 drivers.
About tuning: It is the same as on metal-wood shell - Y3 tuning paper + horseshoe black foam over the driver and I added Y3 (two pieces) over shell vents.
(posted here)

Interestingly, even though it is a totally different shell, the frequency graph does not show much change. Only because of better comfort, the details are a little clearer
test.jpg
Did anyone manage to increase the hights or at least change something related to sound signature, on the 300ohm N52 driver. I honestly ran out of options because this driver doesn't respond to anything. I already changed the shell and going back and forward with tuning filters, seal the ports and nothing :thinking:This driver is a curse

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #3,671 of 4,718
Did anyone manage to increase the hights or at least change something related to sound signature, on the 300ohm N52 driver. I honestly ran out of options because this driver doesn't respond to anything. I already changed the shell and going back and forward with tuning filters, seal the ports and nothing :thinking:This driver is a curse
No bro ! I also sealed the shell and in vain no change. I hate this driver πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,672 of 4,718
Yeah, I got the white "green onion" version, seems to drop in the highs pretty hard

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #3,673 of 4,718
Just keep it bassy and listen to it without foams lol :D Just joking

I'm currently working on builds with the N50 red rim drivers. These are hard to tune as well, it's too sharp in the mids and either lack bass or have too much bloat. But I love the comfort and ease of diy with them, potential is good.
Btw there is quite a bit of variance in terms of tightness of cover, I got a pair which is so tight that I can't put on mx500 and dp100 shells, but it works fine on shells where every other driver was too loose. And I have another one which is too loose even for mx500 :D

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #3,674 of 4,718
No bro ! I also sealed the shell and in vain no change. I hate this driver πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Me too :joy: :joy: I lost my youth because of it
Yeah, I got the white "green onion" version, seems to drop in the highs pretty hard
It's seams that all 300ohm driver are the same. Dark and stubborn:smiling_imp:
Just keep it bassy and listen to it without foams lol :D Just joking

I'm currently working on builds with the N50 red rim drivers. These are hard to tune as well, it's too sharp in the mids and either lack bass or have too much bloat. But I love the comfort and ease of diy with them, potential is good.
Btw there is quite a bit of variance in terms of tightness of cover, I got a pair which is so tight that I can't put on mx500 and dp100 shells, but it works fine on shells where every other driver was too loose. And I have another one which is too loose even for mx500 :D
Guys I'm so angry because I disfigured two shells and spent 5-6 filters in one hour, trying to change at least something on this driver.:angry:
Now I put it back in the metal-wood shell, which as you can see, out of rage, I drilled, and I left it, this time, bare ass (without any filter) and again the frequency graph is the same. This is a "woo-doo" driver for sure
IMG_20210625_142521.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #3,675 of 4,718
Me too :joy: :joy: I lost my youth because of it

It's seams that all 300ohm driver are the same. Dark and stubborn:smiling_imp:

Guys I'm so angry because I disfigured two shells and spent 5-6 filters in one hour, trying to change at least something on this driver.:angry:
Now I put it back in the metal-wood shell, which as you can see, out of rage, I drilled, and I left it, this time, bare ass (without any filter) and again the frequency graph is the same. This is a "woo-doo" driver for sure
IMG_20210625_142521.jpg
It's kind of crazy for us πŸ˜‚. I also changed three shells. The worst is heard in the wooden shell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back