DIY Earbuds
Feb 12, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,091 of 4,749
My dog probably eats better then most of the people in my building, every 3 days I cook a new batch, with either, chicken breast, beef rump or a mix of livers and hearts, seasoned with thyme, rosemary, and parsley, sautéed in olive oil. A side of broccoli, grean beans, carrots and cauliflower and either white rice, buckwheat or potatoes......

She goes nuts for it, starts barking 5 minutes to feeding time to make sure I get it nice and warm first
I'm jealous right now:joy: I think you spoiled your dog a little :wink:
The story of the dogs is a never ending story.
My previous dog lived for 18 years. He ate healthy food (not as rich as in your case) and had extraordinary conditions: a large grassy yard. Now I live in the city and am not a supporter of keeping a dog in the building

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,092 of 4,749
I'm jealous right now:joy: I think you spoiled your dog a little :wink:
The story of the dogs is a never ending story.
My previous dog lived for 18 years. He ate healthy food (not as rich as in your case) and had extraordinary conditions: a large grassy yard. Now I live in the city and am not a supporter of keeping a dog in the building
Yeah, it's a bit of work, for sure, but I always been a dog lover, she was a rescue, some drunks abused her, she was terrified of pretty much everyone, she was very under weight, nervous, she was scared to bark, and I was told that she is very stubborn and wasn't even house trained

Now, she doesn't stop barking, she doesn't fear anything, and she turned out to be fairly smart, had her house trained in 7 days, basic training only took me a month

So i read up on show dog food and we decided, only the best!!

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #3,093 of 4,749
I changed the RY4S 300 ohm shell with Vido's shell. Now I really like the way it sounds. More bright and clean and with a very good bass

Attachments

• ae_1608311935297.jpg
    ae_1608311935297.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210212_225252.jpg
    20210212_225252.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,094 of 4,749
PT52 here... well, their shells deserve better drivers (lack of bass).

What drivers would work fine with metal shells?
The famous 130 Ohm (bery), the budget king 19-21, or the 600 Ohm?

I'd like to avoid testing each of them because It is possible that I end up damaging them (due to my bad soldering skills).

PT52.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,095 of 4,749
PT52 here... well, their shells deserve better drivers (lack of bass).

What drivers would work fine with metal shells?
The famous 130 Ohm (bery), the budget king 19-21, or the 600 Ohm?

I'd like to avoid testing each of them because It is possible that I end up damaging them (due to my bad soldering skills).

PT52.jpg
You can try "Papa Bery", also try to reduce cavity size by adding absorbent material in the back part of the shell to see how the driver reacts.
While you testing, if driver not holds on the shell use double side duct tape, avoid glue.
Are there any vent on the shell?

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #3,096 of 4,749
You can try "Papa Bery", also try to reduce cavity size by adding absorbent material in the back part of the shell to see how the driver reacts.
While you testing, if driver not holds on the shell use double side duct tape, avoid glue.
Are there any vent on the shell?

Nops. There are only 3 at the top...
The shells are indeed sturdy. Once with appropriated drivers, the set may become great earbuds..

Thank you for the tips!

IMG_20210212_203624.jpg

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,097 of 4,749
Nops. There are only 3 at the top...
The shells are indeed sturdy. Once with appropriated drivers, the set may become great earbuds..

Thank you for the tips!

IMG_20210212_203624.jpg
I assumed the vents were set just in front part of the shell. That's why I suggest the "Papa Bery" driver.
If the bass is tamed, then a small vent on the back of the shell could solve the problem

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,098 of 4,749
Docomo shell work perfect. I tried metal shell (last two images from this post), but I was not satisfied with the sound
Thank You for your recommendations.
There are only a few 14.8mm shells. I saw this one that looks nice. How different is this from the one You did not like?
DIY Earphone housing shell pure copper

I am worriad about the weight, though. If it is made from copper (i have doubts) is should be heavy.

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,099 of 4,749
Thank You for your recommendations.
There are only a few 14.8mm shells. I saw this one that looks nice. How different is this from the one You did not like?
DIY Earphone housing shell pure copper

I am worriad about the weight, though. If it is made from copper (i have doubts) is should be heavy.

Be aware that these shells will need modification. They are an odd size and were probably originally meant for their own covers. There is a version of these sold with a regular stem and metal driver faceplates.

I had to remove a lip and file the shell O.D. down to fit 14.8mm drivers.

IMG_20200713_152340.jpg

And yes, they are a heavier shell as they are a heavier metal, but not uncomfortably so.

If you're in the U.S. I'd sell these already modded ones.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #3,100 of 4,749
Be aware that these shells will need modification. They are an odd size and were probably originally meant for their own covers. There is a version of these sold with a regular stem and metal driver faceplates.

I had to remove a lip and file the shell O.D. down to fit 14.8mm drivers.

IMG_20200713_152340.jpg

And yes, they are a heavier shell as they are a heavier metal, but not uncomfortably so.

If you're in the U.S. I'd sell these already modded ones.
I was wandering why no covers are sold with it. Thank you for warning.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #3,101 of 4,749
By request of @Themilkman46290, these are the photos that show differences between a real HDD-1 and the Italian seller's "EU Market HDD-1":

HDD-1 Driver.png

On the fake pair, the faceplate is much bigger as it fits more like a sleeve rather than the usual method and contains holes that weren't punched out properly. On the real pair, it's a bog standard long DoCoMo shell with regular "PK" faceplates and, as you can see, the red film actually shines through.

smaller shape n form.png

I think the only way to appreciate the form of the fake pair is by calling it "girthy". The removable vent cover that holds the rubber stress relief actually connects like a lego brick instead of clips that open like a door (side note : I also think you can't really remove the stress relief on the fake pair either). Now, look at the state of the K on the fake pair, may not show too well in pictures but it is bloody massive compared to the real pair, of which manages to keep all the letters in-line. The shade of the plastic is also a little different and the button cut out on the fake pair is pretty bad but that about covers the physical differences.

I don't think I have to say much about the sound differences except the fake pair distorts a massive amount at listenable volumes whilst the real pair is able to sound as great as it should sound.

TL;DR : Fake pair is pretty large vs. the real pair, best way to check for a legit HDD-1 is to flash a light into the driver and seeing if there's a red shine through the holes.

Hope this helped anyone who was interested in how the "Italian" HDD-1 compares to the real deal.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,103 of 4,749
Has anyone met such earbuds? I think this has nothing to do with sony. There is no mention of such a model in google)).
According to little girl illustration :wink:, you're probably right. This has nothing to do with Sony.
First, Sony don't use 32ohm driver in MDR-E1XX lineup, also not use MX500 shells.
They have "walkman" series but do not differ much from the original MDR-E model.
For example, this is MDR-E804 regular and "walkman" edition
sony.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #3,104 of 4,749
According to little girl illustration :wink:, you're probably right. This has nothing to do with Sony.
First, Sony don't use 32ohm driver in MDR-E1XX lineup, also not use MX500 shells.
They have "walkman" but do not differ much from the original MDR-E model.
For example, this is MDR-E804 regular and "walkman" edition
sony.jpg
32 ohm and mx500 confused me))). I just wanted to make sure. Thank you! 👍

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #3,105 of 4,749
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back