DIY Earbuds
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,971 of 4,714
browsing on my gallery, found a pic of one of the rares, a pink victor earbud. I recabled it to purple wires.
JVC Victor? :thumbsup:
Something came to my mind, if you have or know some models that are not in this list, send the author (@WoodyLuvr) a PM in this format:
Year - name and model number (impedance).
There really are many more models missing there. The most difficult is to find the names for the Phillips vintage buds.
I own two pairs, and it's impossible to find any info about them
Philips.jpg

Edit: I added the link for the list above

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #2,972 of 4,714
JVC Victor? :thumbsup:
Something came to my mind, if you have or know some models that are not in this list, send the author (@WoodyLuvr) a PM in this format:
Year - name and model number (impedance).
There really are many more models missing there. The most difficult is to find the names for the Phillips vintage buds.
I own two pairs, and it's impossible to find any info about them
Philips.jpg

Edit: I added the link for the list above
nice! saw the list. looks like missing some southeast asian buds.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #2,973 of 4,714
nice! saw the list. looks like missing some southeast asian buds.
There are many "hidden gems" for sure. Currently, MX500 models predominate, but we should not ignore other types. :beerchug:

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #2,974 of 4,714
They look beautiful. It's strange that there is the few different versions of HP-V061.
I have this model, with semi-transparent shell and silver backplate, also there is with black shell and gold backplate and your version
TB2W.QMaVXXXXXnXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2287380215.jpg

TB2.17.bpXXXXaMXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2287380215.jpg
Aiwa HP-V061 was a high production run earbud and part of Aiwa's "Main Series" (HP-V041; HP-V051; HP-V061; HP-V064) that were mass produced and included with many of their portable players from 1995 until 2001 (maybe 2002). Even though the "Main Series" may be referred to and known as the "HP-V061 Series" it included four different models with the HP-V041 and HP-V051 models being produced from 1995 to 1997 (V041) and 1996-1998 (V051). All these models of the "Main Series" are known (or suspected) to have had a number of editions and versions with the HP-V061 model having the most by far.

It is generally accepted that there are three (3) main/major editions of the HP-V061 model... coming in various head and steam styles which of course has caused much confusion and disagreement amongst collectors. Some Japanese collectors will argue that there were four (4) or even five (5) editions of this particular model consisting of anywhere from one (1) to three (3) versions/variants per edition produced from 1999 to well into 2001/2 (this is hotly contested). Very complicated to say the least. Thus why many collectors have simplified it down to the following three (3) model editions:
  • The "first edition" debuted in early 1999 and included two versions, the "Gold Dot & Bar" and the "Silver Dot & Bar", as Aiwa appeared to be trying to "piggy back" on the success that they had had with the earlier and highly regarded "Gold" lines of the early to mid 1990s.
  • The "second edition", late 1999 to 2000/1 was a completely revamped design with a very large silver backplate and known as "Large Silver"... this particular edition with the protruding head is why the entire "HP-V061 series" was eventually nicknamed the "Wild Boar's Snout Series" aka "Pig's Mouth Series".
  • Then sometime in 2000/1 the "third edition" was released in two versions the "Silver Bar" and the "Black Bar" with both versions coming in a semi-transparent shell case and they may have been produced well into 2002 (again there appears to be a lot of disagreement about this).
There is a lot of "conflicting" and "disagreed upon" information when it comes to the Aiwa HP-V061 but I think the above is probably a safe middle ground for us to stand on.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #2,975 of 4,714
Aiwa HP-V061 was a high production run earbud and part of Aiwa's "Main Series" (HP-V041; HP-V051; HP-V061; HP-V064) that were mass produced and included with many of their portable players from 1995 until 2001 (maybe 2002). Even though the "Main Series" may be referred to and known as the "HP-V061 Series" it included four different models with the HP-V041 and HP-V051 models being produced from 1995 to 1997 (V041) and 1996-1998 (V051). All these models of the "Main Series" are known (or suspected) to have had a number of editions and versions with the HP-V061 model having the most by far.

It is generally accepted that there are three (3) main/major editions of the HP-V061 model... coming in various head and steam styles which of course has caused much confusion and disagreement amongst collectors. Some Japanese collectors will argue that there were four (4) or even five (5) editions of this particular model consisting of anywhere from one (1) to three (3) versions/variants per edition produced from 1999 to well into 2001/2 (this is hotly contested). Very complicated to say the least. Thus why many collectors have simplified it down to the following three (3) model editions:
  • The "first edition" debuted in early 1999 and included two versions, the "Gold Dot & Bar" and the "Silver Dot & Bar", as Aiwa appeared to be trying to "piggy back" on the success that they had had with the earlier and highly regarded "Gold" lines of the early to mid 1990s.
  • The "second edition", late 1999 to 2000/1 was a completely revamped design with a very large silver backplate and known as "Large Silver"... this particular edition with the protruding head is why the entire "HP-V061 series" was eventually nicknamed the "Wild Boar's Snout Series" aka "Pig's Mouth Series".
  • Then sometime in 2000/1 the "third edition" was released in two versions the "Silver Bar" and the "Black Bar" with both versions coming in a semi-transparent shell case and they may have been produced well into 2002 (again there appears to be a lot of disagreement about this).
There is a lot of "conflicting" and "disagreed upon" information when it comes to the Aiwa HP-V061 but I think the above is probably a safe middle ground for us to stand on.
Wow! This is very valuable info. Thank man :beerchug:
Now I'm starting to doubt you and your modesty. Why don't you say you worked for Aiwa. Seriously this information probably only exists in their archive
and only certain people have access to it ... and you are one of them :relaxed:

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,977 of 4,714
Believe it or not my Aiwa knowledge is limited in comparison to what I know about vintage Sony Headphones 1980s!
Now when I think about it, I don't have a single pair of Sony in my collection. Hmmm.... :pensive:
Let me get first some Sony buds, and then we can talk about it. Of course not from that period.

Yup. I find it... only Sony MDR-570 LB for now, it looks retro, but it's not so old model, right?

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #2,978 of 4,714
also got sharp with bigger drivers (16mm). i dont have any aidea of the model no., i recabled it.
F45FD305-77C2-4CE4-847B-8E4B536ADAF4.jpeg1A5A8379-A215-486E-A420-AF89600B7D43.jpeg

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,979 of 4,714
also got sharp with bigger drivers (16mm). i dont have any aidea of the model no., i recabled it.
F45FD305-77C2-4CE4-847B-8E4B536ADAF4.jpeg1A5A8379-A215-486E-A420-AF89600B7D43.jpeg
The buds look unique I can't find any info about them. Are you tune them as well, or you just change the cable?

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,980 of 4,714
The buds look unique I can't find any info about them. Are you tune them as well, or you just change the cable?
tuned them to have better subbass.
cable used is copper w/ rhodium 2.5mm plug

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2,982 of 4,714
How rhodium sounds?
this sharp having nice balance sound, could sound brighter to some source. so did tune it to a more warmer sound.

i find rhodium plug to give a little warmer tone.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2,983 of 4,714
I reached 1K post (🍷🍾) and for that occasion I decided to post a few pictures of my favorite pair Superlux HD381. I already own whole set of 3 pairs: HD381 (black), HD381F (white), HD381B (gray) and one spare black pair.
For some time now I have been thinking about opening a spare pair and investigating what is happening under the hood, but in the meantime I came across a damaged HD381F, which I'm presenting today.
BTW a brief description of this model can be found here.

NOTE: Ignore the current condition. This is a desperate attempt by the previous owner to fix this buds :wink:
What is so special about this lineup? Well ...these buds use 13.5mm and as you can see in the picture the size of the shell cavity is very small.
From previous experience with the MX500 and such a small depth of shell, the sound is generally less spacious and closed, which is not the case with this model at all. What's more, the sound here is so open that it surpasses the IEMs and earbuds
and can be directly compared to open-back headphones. Also, you can see a small hole on the underside which is the only vent on the whole shell.
For me personally, this is the best tuned 13.5mm driver (16ohm) that I ever heard. All frequencies are fairly clearly defined, no sharp peaks and each of these models has its own specially tuned sound signature.
Shd381_1.jpg

Comfort wise these buds are ultra light, the rubber ring improves comfort drastically and at the same time serves to hide the connection between cover and shell. The nozzle is very short and not cause any pressure or discomfort.
Also, it helps a lot with bass separation from mids. The reason why I don'y call it IEM is because openings on the lid that let sound like a classic earbud. They use some kind of textile as a filter.
Shd381_2.jpg

The inside of the shell not use is simple, they added some kind of the rubber to block the sound to go in the back part of the shell. Of course, glue is inevitable :)
Shd381_4.jpg

And finally we see a bit different driver construction. than to what we are used to with 14.8mm and 15.4mm drivers
Side vents not exist but only huge center vent covered with some kin of the canvas. Obviously, drivers designed in this way do not require a large shell space to function properly.
Shd381_5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back