DIY Earbuds
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,941 of 4,749
I have a question regarding the pk1 150ohm red film drivers. Seller seemes to have 4 options for the driver. 1. 2 purple dot
2.purple and orange dot 3.orange dot and 4 no colour dot. Doesn anyone know which one is the original pk1? or what are the differences (or anyone who can translate the chinese)?
This is the previous link on Ali (dead link). All driver have different marks.
It probably means nothing. Just ask for 150ohm "red film" when you order it

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,942 of 4,749
I owned the HP-V051 about 20 years ago. I wonder what emotions they can evoke now. I will be waiting for your feedback. Thank you!)
From Left to Right from image above : AIWAs ( HP-V041 ; HP-V061 ; HP-V151 ; HP-V051 ) , for Philips I still not have any info and last model is AKG Y16A

Do you have any vintage model except HP-V051? HP-V99 :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,943 of 4,749
From Left to Right from image above : AIWAs ( HP-V041 ; HP-V061 ; HP-V151 ; HP-V051 ) , for Philips I still not have any info and last model is AKG Y16A

Do you have any vintage model except HP-V051? HP-V99 :)
My hp-v051 are long lost, I want to find one now. I bought a sony mdr-e 434 a couple of days ago and they sound amazing. Very airy sound, good detail at high frequencies. The only thing sometimes there is not enough bass, I would like a little more (no, I'm not basshead)). This is a small masterpiece).
IMAG2019.jpg
IMAG2029.jpg

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,944 of 4,749
My hp-v051 are long lost, I want to find one now. I bought a sony mdr-e 434 a couple of days ago and they sound amazing. Very airy sound, good detail at high frequencies. The only thing sometimes there is not enough bass, I would like a little more (no, I'm not basshead)). This is a small masterpiece).
Sorry I'm late. I was on a night hunt for earbuds. I "shot" a few of them but first thing first...
Man I'm a little jealous now :wink: You have a really beautiful and rare pair. I like how Sony packed its models in "powder box" like case.
They use on few buds similar side entrance for the cable. Is there any particular reason for that? My guess is that they wanted to have a "free" vent that has no point of contact with the cable. :thinking:
In general, the only thing I don't like about these vintage buds is the low impedance (16Ω-18Ω) and thin cable which is asymmetric in some models.
It's really sad to disassemble these just to replace the cable.

Anyway to get back to today’s catch

If you find out model names and spec. of these AIWA's please let me know. The only thing I know so far: the model on the left is with new Sony branded AIWA logo
and the right "goldy" was taken from the Walkman HP-RC750. This plug looks scary, I need to change the cable
Also, I took two more spare AIWA HP-V041, one for modding and one for the gift. BTW this model has a bit thicker and softer cable than the rest of the lineup.
And lastly one broken pair of Superlux HD381F for research purposes :relaxed:
I will try to fix them if it is not something serious and post some progress
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #2,945 of 4,749
Sorry I'm late. I was on a night hunt for earbuds. I "shot" a few of them but first thing first...
Man I'm a little jealous now :wink: You have a really beautiful and rare pair. I like how Sony packed its models in "powder box" like case.
They use on few buds similar side entrance for the cable. Is there any particular reason for that? My guess is that they wanted to have a "free" vent that has no point of contact with the cable. :thinking:
In general, the only thing I don't like about these vintage buds is the low impedance (16Ω-18Ω) and thin cable which is asymmetric in some models.
It's really sad to disassemble these just to replace the cable.

Anyway to get back to today’s catch

If you find out model names and spec. of these AIWA's please let me know. The only thing I know so far: the model on the left is with new Sony branded AIWA logo
and the right "goldy" was taken from the Walkman HP-RC750. This plug looks scary, I need to change the cable
Also, I took two more spare AIWA HP-V041, one for modding and one for the gift. BTW this model has a bit thicker and softer cable than the rest of the lineup.
And lastly one broken pair of Superlux HD381F for research purposes :relaxed:
I will try to fix them if it is not something serious and post some progress
:beerchug:
Congratulations on your successful hunt. The right pair is similar to the HP-D1.
Screenshot_20210129-112949.png

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,946 of 4,749
Congratulations on your successful hunt. The right pair is similar to the HP-D1.
Screenshot_20210129-112949.png
I just talked to @WoodyLuvr. Those Aiwa earbuds are part of the V141 Series called "Gold Small Holes" but because they used with the walkman devices they also have different model number HP-RC750 and HP-RC850.
I opened them very easily, and I have this 8-core cable from which I will make two cables, one for this model and the other for HP-V151 (3rd model on previous photo)

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #2,947 of 4,749
Picking up the sub bass and pushing the mids back a bit made the 120ohm 14.8mm fairly fun, a bit more open
Used a 10:1 foam on yolk, carefully removed glue in a section and placed it on top of the bass vent on the yolk, IMG_20210129_120149.jpg

Then I removed the filter behind the driver, it helped tame the mids and brought the bass up.
Then to further calm resonance I used cotton tabe and a black foam 7:1 on the shells IMG_20210129_120201.jpg
I do wish the highs had been better

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,948 of 4,749
I do wish the highs had been better
We all pray for that, a big drawback of most drivers
Did we mention this driver, I can't remember (Beryllium composite). As usual without specs. I assume this is the 32ohm version used in TMusic buds
It's time for new wires
For any graphene lovers :wink: :point_right: @Themilkman46290 Graphene-copper-silver hybrid earphone
Probably this cable use NiceHCK but assembled version is around $110
Another beautiful wire. These are 3 variant: only wire, cable with splitter and assembled version

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,950 of 4,749
We all pray for that, a big drawback of most drivers
Did we mention this driver, I can't remember (Beryllium composite). As usual without specs. I assume this is the 32ohm version used in TMusic buds
It's time for new wires
For any graphene lovers :wink: :point_right: @Themilkman46290 Graphene-copper-silver hybrid earphone
This cable uses NiceHCK but assembled version is around $110
Another beautiful wire. These are 3 variant: only wire, cable with splitter and assembled version
Those 19-21 composite look nice, but I had very bad luck, so far, 3 drivers dead and only 2 survived, seems they are too fragile, they also don't really fit mx500 shells, they seem to be slightly more shallow, a wee bit less then 15.4mm wide
Had to sand the lip off the mx500 shells, but even then, I can't Close the shells or else they break the voice coil leads, I also noticed the leads are glued really tight to the ring the holds the diaphragm, so if you press hard to closed the shell, the ring seems to flex and breaks the leads
I don't know why they have done this, other drivers don't, guess it's some genius way to make us buy more

For now, though I know they sound good, I think I will pass.
Decided to invest in some closes back cans
Srh840 is looking good

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #2,951 of 4,749
Those 19-21 composite look nice, but I had very bad luck, so far, 3 drivers dead and only 2 survived, seems the are too fragile, they also don't really fit mx500 shells, the seem to be slightly more shallow, a wee bit less then 15.4mm wide
Had to sand the lip off the mx500 shells, but even then, I can't Close the shells or els they break the voice coil leads, I also noticed the leads are glued really tight to the ring the holds the diaphragm, so it you press hard to closed the shell, the ring seems to flex and breaks the leads
I don't know why they have done this, other drivers don't, guess it's some genius way to make us buy more

For now, though I know they sound good, I think I will pass.
Decided to invest in some closes back cans
Srh840 is looking good
It's really strange. @robar didn't mention any of these faults. It's important to use a bit of elastic glue on the driver ring and not some superglue.
I broke a few drivers in the same way. You do all hard work and at the end when you need to attach cover on the shell coil leads break:sob:.
I am currently working on a design for "ear canal" coupler for iMM6 for 3D printing. I will share *.stl file if someone is interested in printing a model for themselves
I find some guy in my city who prints small miniatures. They look very clean and precise.
If he manages to print well this coupler then I will send him some shells which I modeled. I think it can print resin, that would be great for buds shell.
This is work in progress
1.jpg
1a.jpg

In addition to this I plan to do 4-core cables for all vintage models because these stock cables are very bad.
I have left aside the modification of headphones for now. The Sennheiser HD25 Light that I bought recently, really sound ok, so it's not my priority to change anything for now.
Last time you mentioned that you have a GRADO model. You were planning to do some mod? I don't know about Shure I think they are tuned more for monitoring than for
casual listening. Is there a possibility to try them before buying?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,952 of 4,749
@Themilkman46290 what do you think about last cable. For this year anniversary? Or you go with graphene this time :wink:
The wires look sexy, but, after these queyinfang thick wires, I realized it's a bit too thick for most shells, I've been drilling all my shells out for it.
Thick wires don't fit the 14.8mm at all
But if I didn't allready purchase 20 meters worth of wire, I might buy it.
Hell I might buy it later, I am sure the wife would like the colours

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,953 of 4,749
The wires look sexy, but, after these queyinfang thick wires, I realized it's a bit too thick for most shells, I've been drilling all my shells out for it.
Thick wires don't fit the 14.8mm at all
But if I didn't allready purchase 20 meters worth of wire, I might buy it.
Hell I might buy it later, I am sure the wife would like the colours
One reel of 8-core cable really pays off. I have left 6m of black and 1.5m of gold-black. Ten 4-core cables can be made from this

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,954 of 4,749
It's really strange. @robar didn't mention any of these faults. It's important to use a bit of elastic glue on the driver ring and not some superglue.
I broke a few drivers in the same way. You do all hard work and at the end when you need to attach cover on the shell coil leads break:sob:.
I am currently working on a design for "ear canal" coupler for iMM6 for 3D printing. I will share *.stl file if someone is interested in printing a model for themselves
I find some guy in my city who prints small miniatures. They look very clean and precise.
If he manages to print well this coupler then I will send him some shells which I modeled. I think it can print resin, that would be great for buds shell.
This is work in progress
1.jpg1a.jpg

In addition to this I plan to do 4-core cables for all vintage models because these stock cables are very bad.
I have left aside the modification of headphones for now. The Sennheiser HD25 Light that I bought recently, really sound ok, so it's not my priority to change anything for now.
Last time you mentioned that you have a GRADO model. You were planning to do some mod? I don't know about Shure I think they are tuned more for monitoring than for
casual listening. Is there a possibility to try them before buying?
No, but I have a buddy that has the 440 and the 940, both sound good, very neutral, kind of bass light, but hands down better the the m50x that I had saved up for, bought brand new, and hated.
For anyone that says the m50x are neutral monitors.... Well I guess they don't have a clue what neutral is, they have muddy bass, and really peaky highs.

I let them burn in, I had even bought an amp for them, then I sold them at a loss and bought those grados. They maybe bass light, but the highs and mids are bloody perfect.
And if you glue some leather to the out side of there L pads, the bass picks up

Then I got the he4xx, and even though reviews say they are bass light and have shrill highs..... Well I don't know what they are smoking, the sub bass seems to extend better then the m50x and the highs are frry nice, not so sharp as those m50x
I lost all respect for audio technica

So I researched them, seems they got rid of some of there top engineers about 10-15 years ago, mainly to fucos more on marketing, so it's no wonder I haven't heard a good pair of them in years.
But I am going to far off topic
The shure have similar build, but they have mids (something that AT has forgotten about) , and the highs are done properly
AKG has gon the same route, got bought out by Samsung, they have replaced some of there best with fragile plastic junk that although sounds great, looks as if it was built to last about 3 to 4 hours......

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,955 of 4,749
No, but I have a buddy that has the 440 and the 940, both sound good, very neutral, kind of bass light, but hands down better the the m50x that I had saved up for, bought brand new, and hated.
Many people say that the M40 is better than the M50 for casual listening. The M60 also received positive reviews and is better made than the M40.
I don't know about AT bright highs which I can't stand but AKG is very famous with that. Even Y16A buds has highs which don't seem sharp but after half an hour of listening I got a headache. BTW the design of the buds and ergonomics are great. I got a used pair for $ 10 but I saw that their purchase price was $35 which is ridiculous. I don't think it's worth even $10 new
On the other hand AIWA deserves real respect, a very well-balanced sound, without any sharp tones, a couple of models have a little recessed mids and that’s it. Soundstage is average like every other buds. The shells are made of quality plastic. It is a pity that this company was shut down, who knows what models it would have today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back