DIY Earbuds
Oct 5, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2,221 of 4,714
Built another pair of shells and tuned the 40Ω Ti drivers. They live up to their 'deep bass' moniker (listed by the seller) as the extension is very good.

Bass extension is very similar to the 150Ω redfilm. Treble rolls off after 5k, good for those that have treble sensitivity.

DIY 40Ω Ti.jpg

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2,222 of 4,714
Hi. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I'll do it here anyway. So the problem is that the MX500 shell of my red Vidos when used with foams become too large for my hears. It feels like it's forcing the canal to become larger which start to hurt after a while. And so, I started using the Vidos without foams. It now fits me better but there's a huge trade-off with the bass and pseudo-isolation. Is there a compromise for this? If there are easy mods for this that can be done within a few minutes, then I'm down for that. TIA!

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #2,223 of 4,714
Hi. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I'll do it here anyway. So the problem is that the MX500 shell of my red Vidos when used with foams become too large for my hears. It feels like it's forcing the canal to become larger which start to hurt after a while. And so, I started using the Vidos without foams. It now fits me better but there's a huge trade-off with the bass and pseudo-isolation. Is there a compromise for this? If there are easy mods for this that can be done within a few minutes, then I'm down for that. TIA!

Something like these silicone rings, could provide a bit more "traction" and a better seal, than the plastic earbud shell - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001146948880.html

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #2,224 of 4,714
Built another pair of shells and tuned the 40Ω Ti drivers. They live up to their 'deep bass' moniker (listed by the seller) as the extension is very good.

Bass extension is very similar to the 150Ω redfilm. Treble rolls off after 5k, good for those that have treble sensitivity.

DIY 40Ω Ti.jpg

Now that I've had some time with it, the treble is quiet but there. It's definitely a step back from the bass & mids. Sounds good still, I think they'd be great for those treble sensitive or needing something in the evening before bed that is a smoother listen. Or even those wanting good sub-bass extension, they also respond to EQ decently for those that want more bass.

May also be really good for vocal centric stuff like podcasts or audiobooks. But I don't listen to those so ymmv.

Besides the rings posted above, the only other option is to go to a smaller driver & housing in a smaller earbud.

I mean you could try sanding it down but the dust will also get to the driver through the holes and will be a bit finicky to do. Just be careful to not go too far, the plastic isn't all that thick.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2,226 of 4,714
Wow
I have the same fit problem too
Thanks for sharing
I use the "cable" version for over-ear, just put soft cable, and U good to go :wink: The mod is not so easy to make but its worth it

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,227 of 4,714
Hi there! long time no see, I'm still enjoying a lot my new hobby: freestyle drone fpv :wink: hope you guys are well since?
Is there anything better than our best favorite drivers 19-21kHz since @robar ?
I'm still amazed by my mod, they are so far the best earbuds I listened since so many years now.
All my other earbuds takes dust. Each day at work, coupled with my ES100, it's a pure joy.
Sometimes this earbuds DIY hobby miss me but I have so much to do with my drones now that I don't have enough time to go back to earbuds DIY for now :frowning2:
Cheers' everybody, keep safe! :thumbsup:
Hi! I am a big fan of all your creations, could you tell me more about this one? I would love to make one

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,228 of 4,714
*** ShoonTH ESEP-01BL “Gold” mod ***
After 70 days my last order finally arrived from Penon Audio. ShoonTH ESEP-01BL is an entry-level earbud in ShoonTH lineup.
Unlike this model, it is obvious that more expensive models have more OHM's and better quality cable. At first, I was a little skeptical about the headphone shell
because so far I don't have any model with the same shell but it turns out that this model has slightly better ergonomics in terms of fit.
The only thing that really "stings my eye" is the cables with which I had a bad experience on earlier models because it degraded the sound a lot.
This one has ok wire inside, not sound so bad, but still overall look and feel is not nice so I decided to swap the cable and to explore "what lies beneath the hood".
The driver inside is an old school japan-made Foster drive with very promising specs. Original tuning is mid-centric with good extension on both ends,
but what is characteristic about these earphones and what sets them apart from other cheap models is imaging.
Another thing that is interesting here is the more intimate sound, something like closed-back headphones, but in the right sense.
There is much less noise from the outside than in the classics earphones, which is really weird, and that's another reason to see what's going on inside :wink:

And then came the first problem, how to open the hard-sealed earbuds without damage the driver. In my experience, there is a 50-50 chance to fail.
The first attempt was to put the shells in a plastic bag and soak them in warm water to soften the glue. This failed.
The next try is riskier, I wrapped the shells in aluminum foil and lightly heated the joint between the driver and the shell with a lighter. This worked. :beerchug:
BTW I don't recommend this method, especially on plastic shells. Anyway ...
img1.jpg

img2.jpg

The main trick here was to block the opening on one side (inside ear - rear side of shel) to create extra pressure that is released only on the rear side
which is not covered by the ear. A very clever move:thumbsup:. This also produces a closed-back effect which is good if you want to use earbuds outside.
The only drawback is that it reduces the sound stage. I mostly use earphones inside so I decided to remove hot glue, remove black foam, cut it to two pieces
and place it only to cover shell back vent ports.
img3.jpg

For this mod, I used RY-C15 cable because it is soft, lightweight, and can fit easily inside the shell. I added a small piece of shrink wrap to prevent
unwinding and pulling the cable out of the shell. Also, broke small pin from silver parts to open small holes on the back of the shell.
In this way, a little more pressure can be released from the shell, but in this case, it does not go directly outside, but into the neck of the shell.
And this is the final result. Mids are still in front but not as much as in the original, the bass is better defined, is fast, and not interfere with mids at all.
Treble is smooth, but on the other hand, the soundstage does not go so much in depth but more in width, and It is followed by really good imaging.
img4.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,229 of 4,714
*** ShoonTH ESEP-01BL “Gold” mod ***
After 70 days my last order finally arrived from Penon Audio. ShoonTH ESEP-01BL is an entry-level earbud in ShoonTH lineup.
Unlike this model, it is obvious that more expensive models have more OHM's and better quality cable. At first, I was a little skeptical about the headphone shell
because so far I don't have any model with the same shell but it turns out that this model has slightly better ergonomics in terms of fit.
The only thing that really "stings my eye" is the cables with which I had a bad experience on earlier models because it degraded the sound a lot.
This one has ok wire inside, not sound so bad, but still overall look and feel is not nice so I decided to swap the cable and to explore "what lies beneath the hood".
The driver inside is an old school japan-made Foster drive with very promising specs. Original tuning is mid-centric with good extension on both ends,
but what is characteristic about these earphones and what sets them apart from other cheap models is imaging.
Another thing that is interesting here is the more intimate sound, something like closed-back headphones, but in the right sense.
There is much less noise from the outside than in the classics earphones, which is really weird, and that's another reason to see what's going on inside :wink:

And then came the first problem, how to open the hard-sealed earbuds without damage the driver. In my experience, there is a 50-50 chance to fail.
The first attempt was to put the shells in a plastic bag and soak them in warm water to soften the glue. This failed.
The next try is riskier, I wrapped the shells in aluminum foil and lightly heated the joint between the driver and the shell with a lighter. This worked. :beerchug:
BTW I don't recommend this method, especially on plastic shells. Anyway ...
img1.jpg

img2.jpg

The main trick here was to block the opening on one side (inside ear - rear side of shel) to create extra pressure that is released only on the rear side
which is not covered by the ear. A very clever move:thumbsup:. This also produces a closed-back effect which is good if you want to use earbuds outside.
The only drawback is that it reduces the sound stage. I mostly use earphones inside so I decided to remove hot glue, remove black foam, cut it to two pieces
and place it only to cover shell back vent ports.
img3.jpg

For this mod, I used RY-C15 cable because it is soft, lightweight, and can fit easily inside the shell. I added a small piece of shrink wrap to prevent
unwinding and pulling the cable out of the shell. Also, brock small pin from silver parts to open small holes on the back of the shell.
In this way, a little more pressure can be released from the shell, but in this case, it does not go directly outside, but into the neck of the shell.
And this is the final result. Mids are still in front but not as much as in the original, the bass is better defined, is fast, and not interfere with mids at all.
Treble is smooth, but on the other hand, the soundstage does not go so much in depth but more in width, and It is followed by really good imaging.
img4.jpg
Thanks for sharing, nice mods! I plan to build something finally with my dp100 shells anyway, mabye I can try something out from your mod. :) What kind of foam did you put on the vents? Regular horseshoe which comes with sets of mx500 shells? Did you leave the cable opening open? My main problem with (transparent) dp100 shells was dark upper mids/treble, which made the sound muddy or at least dull for my taste. Will try 19-21 drivers next time, but these shells are really comfortable with thin covers like the one shoonth has or the type of steel mesh which the N50 driver has. By the way, isn't the "outside vent" covered by the ear (sits towards the back of the head) and vice versa?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,230 of 4,714
Thanks for sharing, nice mods! I plan to build something finally with my dp100 shells anyway, mabye I can try something out from your mod. :) What kind of foam did you put on the vents? Regular horseshoe which comes with sets of mx500 shells? Did you leave the cable opening open? My main problem with (transparent) dp100 shells was dark upper mids/treble, which made the sound muddy or at least dull for my taste. Will try 19-21 drivers next time, but these shells are really comfortable with thin covers like the one shoonth has or the type of steel mesh which the N50 driver has. By the way, isn't the "outside vent" covered by the ear (sits towards the back of the head) and vice versa?
Thanks neighbor, I'm glad you like it. :beerchug: I promised to make a "short" review when they arrive and here it is after a long wait.
Yup, it's regular horseshoe black foam. I used the same foams. Sometimes I take a needle and stick a couple of times this thick foam to have more pores.
I don't like to put this foam over the driver but just to cover the side ports of the shell. By cable opening, you mean at the end of the "neck"? This opening is sealed by shrink wrap rubber probably more than 90%. I was thinking of closing it completely and right next to drilling a small hole, but I didn't want to destroy the shell unnecessarily.
The only thing I would do is close the air passage at the junction of the "head" and the "neck" of the shell where the cables pass so that the air just passes through
that little hole where the pin was. But I’m happy with the bass that’s present right now.
About outside vent in my case ineer vents are covered 100% and outside vents maybe only down hole but the rest is the open :relaxed:
Quality of shell material is not that good as the MX500 model but ergonomics is way above MX500 which I can't wear when I lie in bed.
The dp100 can get into the ear more and hold up very well. Unfortunately, this is not a shell for mmcx mod especially with a shorter "neck".
You probably right, this shell can tame-down treble on DIY drivers, but with this old school japanize driver I don't hear any muddy or dull sound.
It covers a nice frequency range (10hz-22KHz) I think they tuned it well for this shell because these more expensive models use the same shell.
It definitely sounds different from any DIY driver that I have in the collection. Is it sound better? Hmmm ... more or less.
It depends on different genres. I like that it is different from most and it is pleasant for all-day listening. Wide soundstage and imaging are unique,
the mids remind me of TinHIFI T2. But still like better HE150 soundstage and sub-bass

It's a little riskier to play with these branded earphones, especially when you wait 70 days for them to arrive :sweat_smile::smile::sweat_smile:,
but it's better than having them in the boxes because I don't like something about them.
I hope you agree with me.
I destroy my HE150 :sob: by trying to separate them from the shell, now I have only HE150Pro so my plan is to try it again, of course not to destroy it

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,231 of 4,714
DAY10 LOCKDOWN
With so much time on my hands I decided to mod some Docomos and Kube V1 earbuds.

Docomos variant Black+white N.jpg
Docomo Stardust N.jpgKube1 N.jpg

Very nice work!!!

Would you mind sharing the link where you got the docomo shells?

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,232 of 4,714
@assassin10000

Thank you.

Inspired by your work on DIY Pk-based buds, I will try to assembly a diy pk for me.

According to some of your posts, the red film drivers are the ones that most resemble the original drivers, so I might order them besides some cheaper ones.

Was it you who linked true 14.8mm pk shells on Aliexpress? I've read a post linking them but I can't find the it again.

Have you noticed any SQ improvement with your diy MMCX buds regarding cables?

Responding here, since it's the more appropriate thread.

The DIY PK1 150Ω redfilm are my favorites, whether they sound like the original I have no idea. I haven't heard the original Yuin PK1.

Coming in just slightly behind are the N55 64Ω (easy to drive) and when well powered the 120Ω Berylliums (harder to drive).

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32348950463.html
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001039931437.html

I couldn't say one way or another, I don't have a bunch of cables. I currently only have 3-4 copper cables or use my DIY earbuds with my BT20S.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,233 of 4,714
Responding here, since it's the more appropriate thread.

The DIY PK1 150Ω redfilm are my favorites, whether they sound like the original I have no idea. I haven't heard the original Yuin PK1.

Coming in just slightly behind are the N55 64Ω (easy to drive) and when well powered the 120Ω Berylliums (harder to drive).

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32348950463.html
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001039931437.html

I couldn't say one way or another, I don't have a bunch of cables. I currently only have 3-4 copper cables or use my DIY earbuds with my BT20S.
New colors
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001311556541.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001278241975.html
Very nice work!!!

Would you mind sharing the link where you got the docomo shells?

About docomo, here you can buy with pk2 driver. Ask for 3 pieces (1 spare) just in case some of these not work.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32581904591.html

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,234 of 4,714
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2,235 of 4,714
Fyi 1st link is the newer larger modified PK shell 15.0mm and will need minor sanding or filing to make 14.8mm drivers/covers fit.

One of my PK1 redfilm driver covers broke trying to fit them on that shell without filing it down. Never sounded the same after, which is why I had to buy another pair.
I have had a similar experience with this type of shells and 15.4mm driver. It's very good for mmcx mods but requires larger covers and serious sanding.
I broke a couple of drivers by trying to set them up:cry:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976726281.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back