DIY Earbuds
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2,176 of 4,715
Can anyone help guide me? I realize this is a DIY earbuds thread and think this fits.

I have Westone W40 IEMs. The shell on the left ear cracked open. Then that happened, one of the wires broke. I'm in the midst of trying to repair them. I replaced the ground and signal wire with enameled copper wire. However I must be missing a jumper wire or something, because I don't seem to have any high end. When I test it out, it sounds different from the right ear bud which is working. I believe I'm missing the high end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
20200906_011538.jpg

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #2,177 of 4,715
Can anyone help guide me? I realize this is a DIY earbuds thread and think this fits.

I have Westone W40 IEMs. The shell on the left ear cracked open. Then that happened, one of the wires broke. I'm in the midst of trying to repair them. I replaced the ground and signal wire with enameled copper wire. However I must be missing a jumper wire or something, because I don't seem to have any high end. When I test it out, it sounds different from the right ear bud which is working. I believe I'm missing the high end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
20200906_011538.jpg
This is an EARBUD thread, not an Inner Ear Monitor thread, what do you think I.E.M. Stands for? And why do so Manny people think earbuds and iems are the same thing, one goes in your ear, that's what the I in iem stands for, it's an abbreviation, iem, I for inner, e is for ear, m is for monitor. So I would check maybe the diy iems thread because this thread is for ear buds (earbuds is on the outside of your ear, not in your ear, I understand iems ar marketed by manufacturers as earbuds but they are not the same thing)

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,178 of 4,715
Here you can find also earbuds with smaller dynamic drivers (6-12mm) which are I.E.B. (In-Ear Buds). We discuss here mainly about dynamic drivers.
BA's are not so popular on this thread

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,179 of 4,715
Here you can find also earbuds with smaller dynamic drivers (6-12mm) which are I.E.B. (In-Ear Buds). We discuss here mainly about dynamic drivers.
BA's are not so popular on this thread

Interesting - do you have any examples of earbuds that use small drivers (6mm-8mm)?

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,180 of 4,715
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,183 of 4,715
Has anyone able to try the 68ohms "vocal" driver? I'm rocking the 130ohms Be driver and these sound great! I was able to get the last pair from a seller that said the factory that produces the driver is currently closed as they don't have the materials to process them anymore.
I'm planning to buy one, and I was also planning to buy those 130ohm be drivers that suddenly sold out on shopee. That sucks.
Might do a build once I got enough extra budget since there's ALOT of cheap titanium plated drivers that I have to try, and the dual driver 15.4mm one too.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #2,185 of 4,715
I've just received the new large style 14.8mm speakers from cklewis, will test them in the close future :) They look similar to the B40 drivers but there are some major differences. The new pair has twice as much and also larger slits on the metal base and the whole thing sits much deeper in the cover. Also, the speakers appear to be much more magnetic than the b40. The plastic cover itself is identical. I'm hopeful that the sound will be better as well. It fits the b40 shell perfectly just I have to find tuning material because I'm short of tuning rectangles

On the left: cklewis pair, on the right: B40 driver after removing the white horseshoe and some excess glue
IMG_20200917_114816.jpg

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #2,186 of 4,715
I've just received the new large style 14.8mm speakers from cklewis, will test them in the close future :) They look similar to the B40 drivers but there are some major differences. The new pair has twice as much and also larger slits on the metal base and the whole thing sits much deeper in the cover. Also, the speakers appear to be much more magnetic than the b40. The plastic cover itself is identical. I'm hopeful that the sound will be better as well. It fits the b40 shell perfectly just I have to find tuning material because I'm short of tuning rectangles

On the left: cklewis pair, on the right: B40 driver after removing the white horseshoe and some excess glue
IMG_20200917_114816.jpg
Looking forward to your impressions, I am planning to build one with those drivers

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,187 of 4,715
Finally got a replacement pair of those 14.8mm DIY PK1 150Ω redfilm drivers. Working on a new pair of modded shells for them as I re-used the old ones for the 64Ω N55 drivers when they showed up.

In the meantime I've been enjoying the 120Ω beryllium drivers. Here's a comparison to the 2020 K's LB (aka LBBS) and the original ST-10.
Note: the 120Ω measurement is with EQ applied.

Be 120Ω vs Ks LB vs ST-10 45Ω.jpg

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #2,189 of 4,715

20200906_011538.jpg

Wrong thread. But when it cracked, were they dropped? Could have a damaged BA driver.

Try here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/unread

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...724857.videoBannerStyleB_top.3.39606c264PMUl1 IEM planar drivers. Would really like to see somebody review them.

Specs:

Wrong thread, this one is for Earbuds. :)

Try here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/unread

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #2,190 of 4,715

Users who are viewing this thread

Back