DIY Earbuds
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,336 of 4,718
Hi,

I'm new to this and on the driver there are two pole, do I need to solder the 2 wires (ground and signal) in any particular order ?

Thanks for helping.
Yes, as Panda said the most important thing is to solder both sides in the same order. If the sides don't match accidentally, the sound will be out of phase - it will sound very unfocused and weird. I use this test very often after soldering because it shows me the channels and the phase as well.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,338 of 4,718
The Ground is most usually on the right but most drivers have a dot of colour on the signal side. As long as you attach both wires the same it will be okay.

Yes, as Panda said the most important thing is to solder both sides in the same order. If the sides don't match accidentally, the sound will be out of phase - it will sound very unfocused and weird. I use this test very often after soldering because it shows me the channels and the phase as well.

Thank I will try it when the driver arrive. Just to be sure there won't be any damage if I messed the polarity right?
The seller said that they remove it from the old yuin pk1 so I have high hope for its sound :D.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,340 of 4,718
According to the seller when I bought my PK1 drivers a few months ago, the black line marks the negative terminal.

Here is mine:
IMG_20190925_201653.jpg

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #1,341 of 4,718
Could you elaborate a bit on the recommended shell mod (location and size of the hole) and dampening used on the 64ohm build?
I will take some photos soon to show you guys :)

Do you have an idea what could the difference? I guess the vents are different but I couldnt find the exact reason so far.
I'm truely convinced that it's due to these shell productions issues.
This is why I order only black shells now as they are all perfects and none of mines haves this (since I ordered many). I remarked that the white ones are more affected by this issues (sometimes holes are a little smaller, sometimes bigger) :

IMG_20200130_080945~3.jpg

Those holes may affect sound directly as its like doing a proper hole into bass port section of the MX500 shell (which I don't like to do as its more harder and random results).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #1,342 of 4,718
Hi guys, proud to present you my new MX500 shell modding creation ⚡

Nice, clear and elegant. What other to say than great

This is why I order only black shells now as they are all perfects and none of mines haves this (since I ordered many). I remarked that the white ones are more affected by this issues (sometimes holes are a little smaller, sometimes bigger) :

Those holes may affect sound directly as it's like doing a proper hole into bass port section of the MX500 shell (which I don't like to do as its more harder and random results).

It can be easily filled with glue, but still, why bother. Black shells are probably the best choice.
I also like Tingo "silver" shells, but on the other hand, I'm very disappointed with the red and gold variants of the same (Tingo T400), which are just painted over silver, and the color peels off very easily.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #1,343 of 4,718
I also like Tingo "silver" shells, but on the other hand, I'm very disappointed with the red and gold variants of the same (Tingo T400), which are just painted over silver, and the color peels off very easily.
Definitely, the painted shells looks great only by their external look (when finished perfectly, which is not the case very often for already-made stuffs on aliexpress, sadly), but internal is just black.
At least most sellers paints their shells on (generally) black ones so it avoids this kind of holes issues.
This is also the reason why I stuck on black shells for most of my MMCX mods, otherwise there is a ugly result at the bottom at the PIN socket. Ideally we need to re-paint manually once the MMCX mod has been done. I think one day I will try this once bored enough of black shells :D

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #1,344 of 4,718

Those holes may affect sound directly as its like doing a proper hole into bass port section of the MX500 shell (which I don't like to do as its more harder and random results).
When I drilled through a set of spare shells to open up the port as much as possible, it mostly just added mid-bass and excessive warmth, so your findings fundamentally agree with mine - doesn't do anything good for the results.

In unmodified mx500 shells with just a hole for the cable I think we might even have to consider the thickness of cables as that affects the 'porting' formula.
Maybe even fully blocking the cable hole from the inside might make a difference. It's just something that's been on my mind recently.
I havn't done anything close to even rudimentary research on this, but the variations I've observed so far make me think it's probably worth investigating for at least 5 minutes :p

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,345 of 4,718
Definitely, the painted shells looks great only by their external look (when finished perfectly, which is not the case very often for already-made stuffs on aliexpress, sadly), but internal is just black.
At least most sellers paints their shells on (generally) black ones so it avoids this kind of holes issues.
This is also the reason why I stuck on black shells for most of my MMCX mods, otherwise there is a ugly result at the bottom at the PIN socket. Ideally we need to re-paint manually once the MMCX mod has been done. I think one day I will try this once bored enough of black shells :D
I read somewhere that they used a mixture of metal and plastic for the original Tingo shells.
I own DIY versions of T200, T400, TG-38. T200 maybe have the original driver and it sounds good, TG-38 is even better (especially in bass and treble area) and T400 is not Tingo for sure, no need to comment.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #1,346 of 4,718
When I drilled through a set of spare shells to open up the port as much as possible, it mostly just added mid-bass and excessive warmth, so your findings fundamentally agree with mine - doesn't do anything good for the results.

In unmodified mx500 shells with just a hole for the cable I think we might even have to consider the thickness of cables as that affects the 'porting' formula.
Maybe even fully blocking the cable hole from the inside might make a difference. It's just something that's been on my mind recently.
I havn't done anything close to even rudimentary research on this, but the variations I've observed so far make me think it's probably worth investigating for at least 5 minutes :p
shell.jpg

That reminds me of this MX500 mod. Here I opened a back vent and pulled the cables, and at the front, I set up a tube to narrow new bass port

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #1,347 of 4,718
Maybe even fully blocking the cable hole from the inside might make a difference.
Definitely, the space between cable into wires holes makes a huge difference, I can feel a huge difference between my wired and MMCX mods as the MMCX mods blocks all this kind of wires spaces (of course once having the right producted black shells without the finishing issue like showed upper)

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,348 of 4,718

Thanks, I look forward to your photos! Good points, yep the white shells has definitely larger hole at the cable, though the upper vent on the stem is still not open - I tried to pour water in the chamber and see where it flows out. I'm not sure if it's only production issue, for me it looks like an intentional modificiation, at least all of my white vido shells (I had 3) share the same sound. My Fengru Silver shell has similar effect on sound (it's silver in the inside too) Actually I made a comparison few weeks ago, I put an emx500 speaker in a basic black shell from ali and then moved it into the fengru silver, with the same tuning foam. Here is the difference in measurements. (please note my graphs are not compensated, there is a bump between 2.5-6khz that should be roughly on the level of 1khz in the real world, and there is another bump at 250hz that is just a resonance. Apart from these a flat response should look flat on the graph)

emx500-black-vs-silver.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,349 of 4,718
Thanks, I look forward to your photos! Good points, yep the white shells has definitely larger hole at the cable, though the upper vent on the stem is still not open - I tried to pour water in the chamber and see where it flows out. I'm not sure if it's only production issue, for me it looks like an intentional modificiation, at least all of my white vido shells (I had 3) share the same sound. My Fengru Silver shell has similar effect on sound (it's silver in the inside too) Actually I made a comparison few weeks ago, I put an emx500 speaker in a basic black shell from ali and then moved it into the fengru silver, with the same tuning foam. Here is the difference in measurements. (please note my graphs are not compensated, there is a bump between 2.5-6khz that should be roughly on the level of 1khz in the real world, and there is another bump at 250hz that is just a resonance. Apart from these a flat response should look flat on the graph)
Which ones which?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #1,350 of 4,718
Which ones which?
Oops I forgot to add the legend, I fixed it! The very V shaped looking graph is the emx500 with silver. The white vido shell has similar effect. It doesn't matter which driver or tuning foam I put into these, this distinct V shaped sound with bright upper mids is persistent. I think the original emx500 earbud should be very similar to this as well, but I don't have one just saw graphs and reviews about it that were very similar.
The green flatter line is the simple black shell, to better understand the graph, it is only bright above 5khz, everything else is close to neutral

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back