DIY Earbuds
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,811 of 4,718
Yeah, so...

I waited for nearly two months and got a broken LCP driver and a not so good post-buy experience from Chitty store, but that happens - I guess. Not the best way to start a jorney lmao. Today I managed to rip the driver safely. Any ideas on how to repair this? If possible ofc.

Attachments

• photo4907133366021761431.jpg
    photo4907133366021761431.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4907133366021761430.jpg
    photo4907133366021761430.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,814 of 4,718
Yeah, so...

I waited for nearly two months and got a broken LCP driver and a not so good post-buy experience from Chitty store, but that happens - I guess. Not the best way to start a jorney lmao. Today I managed to rip the driver safely. Any ideas on how to repair this? If possible ofc.
Yup. You should have checked the driver with a multimeter and taken pictures and sent to Chitty. That's the only way to replace a broken driver

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #3,815 of 4,718
I don't have a multimeter, so I didn't test with it, but I did test with two different cables before soldering and yeah, it was dead.
Well, if You have a soldering station, then definitely get a multimeter too. It doesn't need to be the best, a $20 dmm is okay for testing signal wires. And get familiar with Ohm's law too, it is easy.
Next time You will get good drivers, and have fan!

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #3,816 of 4,718
Yeah, so...

I'm sorry for you ! Always check drivers before soldering. In this hobby a multimeter is a must have. This model is cheap and very good for what we do here. As a consolation, so to speak, you are not the only one who breaks the drivers.
Handheld Digital Multimeter LCD Backlight Portable AC/DC Ammeter Voltmeter Ohm Voltage Tester Meter Multimetro https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0VLaYF

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,819 of 4,718
Holy sh**.
I can't believe that I actually fixed it. These are the LCP 130, and my first pair. So far I like these 😃
congrats! now explain what the problem was and how you solved it :wink:

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #3,820 of 4,718
congrats! now explain what the problem was and how you solved it :wink:
At first glance, you could tell the voice coil was fine and soldered in place, but I wasn't getting sound at all, So I did as follow:

1. Applied glue removal from Loctite on the sides of the place the drivers sits (the "faceplate, or whatever is called) and waited a few min;
2. Then I've noticed that the glue removal was actually dissolving the plastic shell! I carefully used a needle to scratch the sides of the membrane ring to get a better surface to reaction;
3. A little after, I removed the excess with cotton and tried to loose the driver carefully with the needle. With little strength it is possible to do without damaging much of the "faceplate";

*. After a further inspection, I noticed that the voicecoil was actually broken, but not only that: it was being held by very, very tiny pieces of a black tape right in the bass vent port, which is very strange if you ask me...

4. Took the cover and the membrane apart and noticed that the voice coil wire wasn't long enough so I could just solder it back, as easy as it is;
5. Then, I had the dumb/brilliant idea of soldering some very thin 7n silver cables to the copper wire, using an absolutely minimum quantity of solder - they are about the same thickness btw -;

And yeah, it actually worked and I cant tell any volume difference between the channels. I'm really happy that worked out, it was tiring.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #3,821 of 4,718
At first glance, you could tell the voice coil was fine and soldered in place, but I wasn't getting sound at all, So I did as follow:

1. Applied glue removal from Loctite on the sides of the place the drivers sits (the "faceplate, or whatever is called) and waited a few min;
2. Then I've noticed that the glue removal was actually dissolving the plastic shell! I carefully used a needle to scratch the sides of the membrane ring to get a better surface to reaction;
3. A little after, I removed the excess with cotton and tried to loose the driver carefully with the needle. With little strength it is possible to do without damaging much of the "faceplate";

*. After a further inspection, I noticed that the voicecoil was actually broken, but not only that: it was being held by very, very tiny pieces of a black tape right in the bass vent port, which is very strange if you ask me...

4. Took the cover and the membrane apart and noticed that the voice coil wire wasn't long enough so I could just solder it back, as easy as it is;
5. Then, I had the dumb/brilliant idea of soldering some very thin 7n silver cables to the copper wire, using an absolutely minimum quantity of solder - they are about the same thickness btw -;

And yeah, it actually worked and I cant tell any volume difference between the channels. I'm really happy that worked out, it was tiring.
Bro if you were filming whole process, that video would probably be the most watched here on the forum :beerchug:
Your glue removal from Loctite has the same effect as Acetone. It's also dissolving the plastic shell, so you need to be quick.
About your brilliant idea, that is 2nd method to fix broken voice coil wire. 1st method is very risky, and that is to warm up a voice coil strands and try to unroll (both strands individually in the opposite direction). There is a high risk that the wire will break again. You chose the safer method:thumbsup:
You said "they are about the same thickness" which is a bit funny. Did you compare them through a microscope :)
All in all great job man. I am glad that you fix these drivers. I bought 120ohm version and I will test it probably next week

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #3,822 of 4,718
Bro if you were filming whole process, that video would probably be the most watched here on the forum :beerchug:
Your glue removal from Loctite has the same effect as Acetone. It's also dissolving the plastic shell, so you need to be quick.
About your brilliant idea, that is 2nd method to fix broken voice coil wire. 1st method is very risky, and that is to warm up a voice coil strands and try to unroll (both strands individually in the opposite direction). There is a high risk that the wire will break again. You chose the safer method:thumbsup:
You said "they are about the same thickness" which is a bit funny. Did you compare them through a microscope :)
All in all great job man. I am glad that you fix these drivers. I bought 120ohm version and I will test it probably next week
Thank you! Yeah, I've read about the heating too, but I doubt that a LCP membrane would survive that. Anyways, I'm looking forward of your tests with the 120, but wouldn't it be the same as the 130, maybe? Do you got a set of them already?

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #3,823 of 4,718
Yup. They arrived a few days ago, but I have 3-4 more different pairs of drivers, so I'm testing them first.
I don't know if 120ohm and 130ohm are the same. Ale you compare the rest of specs and is it look like yours?
IMG_20210731_015616.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #3,825 of 4,718
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back