DIY Earbuds
Mar 26, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,241 of 4,722
I use a cheap brush, needle or my wife's orange wood cuticle pushers for neat glue jobs.
Keep a few square peices of rag (for wiping, don't use a large rag because if glue gets on one end, it's only a matter of time before everything has a bit of glue, little squares keep things from spreading) but there are many techniques for gluing

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #3,242 of 4,722
I use a cheap brush, needle or my wife's orange wood cuticle pushers for neat glue jobs.
Keep a few square peices of rag (for wiping, don't use a large rag because if glue gets on one end, it's only a matter of time before everything has a bit of glue, little squares keep things from spreading) but there are many techniques for gluing

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely take note!

EDIT: I got the E8000 adhesive.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #3,244 of 4,722
E8000 with a precision tip.

I usually just spread it on the shell and snap the cover over it. Then rub the excess away or peel it with some tweezers after a few minutes.

I ordered the one with the metal tip. I guess that is the precision tip?

I can't wait for it to arrive so I can fix up my Yinman 600.

The funny thing about the Yinman 600 is that it uses a black MX500 style front covers that are actually about 1mm larger than the wooden back shell, so nothing is actually holding them together, unlike the MX500 type front and back which snaps on.

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #3,245 of 4,722
I ordered the one with the metal tip. I guess that is the precision tip?

I can't wait for it to arrive so I can fix up my Yinman 600.

The funny thing about the Yinman 600 is that it uses a black MX500 style front covers that are actually about 1mm larger than the wooden back shell, so nothing is actually holding them together, unlike the MX500 type front and back which snaps on.
Also, MX500 driver cover is in most cases larger than metal shells you can find on Ali. Apply glue (small amount of course) on
shell "lips". By small amount I mean on two opposite sides of "lips". If you want to play with the driver (tuning, shell modification or replacement) than the better option is double-sided duct tape

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #3,246 of 4,722
Anybody recognises this diver?
IMG_20210327_203157.jpg

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #3,247 of 4,722
Anybody recognises this diver?
IMG_20210327_203157.jpg
TL;DR : Most likely a 32ohm Black DoCoMo driver or variation of them. (I start rambling below this, reader digression is advised)

Either a 32ohm long black DoCoMo driver or even the 16ohm newer type, based off the dot. More likely to be the 32ohm because of the mesh but you never really know. I have 2 pairs of those drivers without the green dot and one of them sounds like a less warm and close to neutral version of the Cygnus (hence why I think they're just rejected NTT drivers) whilst the other is genuinely just a long black DoCoMo in a "PK" shell. I would like to see a picture of these next to another "PK" style driver just to confirm.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #3,248 of 4,722
Also, MX500 driver cover is in most cases larger than metal shells you can find on Ali. Apply glue (small amount of course) on
shell "lips". By small amount I mean on two opposite sides of "lips". If you want to play with the driver (tuning, shell modification or replacement) than the better option is double-sided duct tap

Thanks for your valuable input! It is true that the MX500 driver cover is indeed larger than the wooden back shell of the wooden Yinman 600 which I will be fixing.

By "lips" do you mean the part of the MX500 driver cover where it wraps around the back shell? I think I need a better way to identify the anatomy of the earbud parts in case I get glue on the wrong places!

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #3,249 of 4,722
TL;DR : Most likely a 32ohm Black DoCoMo driver or variation of them. (I start rambling below this, reader digression is advised)
You are most likely right.
Actually it is from a long black docomo shell, I bought for the shell alone.
IMG_20210327_203101.jpg

Now I am confused. Bucause it sounds so good, I dont want to destroy it.
I am not sure what I am hearing. Anyway, this is a keeper, and I need a new donor shell. :smile:
I should throw away the cheap cable and this will be a gem.
Link: DIY mobile phone with mic earphone Bass voice

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #3,250 of 4,722
You are most likely right.
Actually it is from a long black docomo shell, I bought for the shell alone.
IMG_20210327_203101.jpg
Now I am confused. Bucause it sounds so good, I dont want to destroy it.
I am not sure what I am hearing. Anyway, this is a keeper, and I need a new donor shell. :smile:
I should throw away the cheap cable and this will be a gem.
Link: DIY mobile phone with mic earphone Bass voice
I can make a video or a text guide on how to open a DoCoMo shell, though not 100% sure if the drivers themselves need a bit of head to come out.

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,252 of 4,722
Thanks for your valuable input! It is true that the MX500 driver cover is indeed larger than the wooden back shell of the wooden Yinman 600 which I will be fixing.

By "lips" do you mean the part of the MX500 driver cover where it wraps around the back shell? I think I need a better way to identify the anatomy of the earbud parts in case I get glue on the wrong places!
By "lips" I mean front part of shell head where driver is placed. You can add glue on the outher side (left and right)
lips.jpg

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3,253 of 4,722
By "lips" I mean front part of shell head where driver is placed. You can add glue on the outher side (left and right)
lips.jpg
^this is also how I glue drivers/covers on.

A bit of glue about 4mm long on both left and right, on the outside of the shell opening, where the cover overlaps. Press cover on, let sit for a few minutes and then remove excess glue.

This keeps it from plugging or blocking any tuning holes/paper/foam, grabbing the drivers if needing to take it apart and makes for easy clean up.

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,254 of 4,722
^this is also how I glue drivers/covers on.

A bit of glue about 4mm long on both left and right, on the outside of the shell opening, where the cover overlaps. Press cover on, let sit for a few minutes and then remove excess glue.

This keeps it from plugging or blocking any tuning holes/paper/foam, grabbing the drivers if needing to take it apart and makes for easy clean up.
exactly that :beerchug:

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #3,255 of 4,722
For me should not bother. I use my trusty beer opener. See my post.
Otherwise, it is a good idea to make a howto post of opening different shells.
Yes :beerchug: I totally forgot about that "trusty" thing:joy:
I assume that your model use PK2 driver (32ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back