DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #676 of 10,535
silly question but when you strip that kind of wire, does it have strands or is it one piece of solid copper?

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #677 of 10,535
  silly question but when you strip that kind of wire, does it have strands or is it one piece of solid copper?

Two different types of wire. One is stranded copper/silver and one is solid core copper/silver.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #678 of 10,535
Gotcha. Now I get it.

Cool. Now I just have to order the wire and connector and give it a shot. Sweet. Thanks.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #679 of 10,535
Hi guys

New to the forum, new to headphones, but no stranger to high end audio/cables or soldering. I just got my first pair of decent headphones, Audio Technica ATH-M-50s which I am doing the detachable cable mod to. Inspired by this thread and the cable gallery, I am wanting to make two cables but wanted to check here as I read through all the pages but am not 100% on my choices and methods.

1st cable is a 12' run from my chair to processor, 3.5mm to 6.35mm. Want to use Mogami 2534 sheathed in 550 paracord. Can I sheath right over the whole cable or do I remove outer jacket or copper insulation, paper, or all of it? I want to preserve some of the cords thickness here.
Thinking about using Amphenol ACPS-GN-AU and Amphenol KS3P-AU or... Neutrik NP3X-B and it's 3.5mm equivalent. Will either of these have figment issues with the cable I chose? Any other suggestions?

2nd cable is 4-6' portable cable 3.5mm to 3.5mm. I was going to strip out the core wires in the Mogami 2534 and sheath individually with micro paracord 1 and braid together (how much extra needed for braiding to maintain 6ft?). Wanted to use Amphenol KS3PB-AU on both ends. Again, any figment issues here or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry if some if this is repetitive but I want to be sure...

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #680 of 10,535
Hi guys

New to the forum, new to headphones, but no stranger to high end audio/cables or soldering. I just got my first pair of decent headphones, Audio Technica ATH-M-50s which I am doing the detachable cable mod to. Inspired by this thread and the cable gallery, I am wanting to make two cables but wanted to check here as I read through all the pages but am not 100% on my choices and methods.

1st cable is a 12' run from my chair to processor, 3.5mm to 6.35mm. Want to use Mogami 2534 sheathed in 550 paracord. Can I sheath right over the whole cable or do I remove outer jacket or copper insulation, paper, or all of it? I want to preserve some of the cords thickness here.
Thinking about using Amphenol ACPS-GN-AU and Amphenol KS3P-AU or... Neutrik NP3X-B and it's 3.5mm equivalent. Will either of these have figment issues with the cable I chose? Any other suggestions?

2nd cable is 4-6' portable cable 3.5mm to 3.5mm. I was going to strip out the core wires in the Mogami 2534 and sheath individually with micro paracord 1 and braid together (how much extra needed for braiding to maintain 6ft?). Wanted to use Amphenol KS3PB-AU on both ends. Again, any figment issues here or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry if some if this is repetitive but I want to be sure...

So for the first cable you don't have to strip anything and can just put sheath right over everything.  I personally like neutrik a lot better than amphenol just because the build quality of neutrik is just so good and so solid.  Every connector that they make are very robust and very easy to work with.  

I would start with 7ft of cable just to stay safe.  With error and the braid you might have a little extra but that can easily but cut off but you can never add any to the length.  Again I would use neutrik but then again I am a huge neutrik fan.  Redco Audio has some really good prices on the connectors so you might want to check them out.  

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #681 of 10,535
Hi guys

The diameter of the W2534 is (0.236") so about a quarter inch. The 550 is a reference to the minimum strength of the cord. Type III paracord is typically 550lb minimum strength and has a diameter of 0.0157", so it wouldn't be big enough to sleeve the cable as-is.

Make sure when you buy paracord that you look at the diameter. If you can't find it, try to email the supplier to be sure.
If you can't find one you like, you could instead get a 1/4" nylon multifilament Techflex NMN0.25BK in varying lengths off of eBay for a good price. 

The second cable you'll want to strip down the wires until you get to the paper-like wrapping just under the shielding. I like to leave that on as it keeps the wires well bound and with the cotton or nylon strands inside to help reduce microphonics. It also helps when you go to sleeving it into the paracord. Just make sure to put a small piece of tape on the end to avoid fraying and to make it slide smoother: I like electrical tape as a personal preference. 

As for the extra cable needed, I agree with having at least an extra 6 inches to 1 foot in case of mistakes and other unforeseen circumstances. You'll probably only lose a few inches, but it's better to have extra than not enough. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #682 of 10,535

The diameter of the W2534 is (0.236") so about a quarter inch. The 550 is a reference to the minimum strength of the cord. Type III paracord is typically 550lb minimum strength and has a diameter of 0.0157", so it wouldn't be big enough to sleeve the cable as-is.

Make sure when you buy paracord that you look at the diameter. If you can't find it, try to email the supplier to be sure.
If you can't find one you like, you could instead get a 1/4" nylon multifilament Techflex NMN0.25BK in varying lengths off of eBay for a good price. 

The second cable you'll want to strip down the wires until you get to the paper-like wrapping just under the shielding. I like to leave that on as it keeps the wires well bound and with the cotton or nylon strands inside to help reduce microphonics. It also helps when you go to sleeving it into the paracord. Just make sure to put a small piece of tape on the end to avoid fraying and to make it slide smoother: I like electrical tape as a personal preference. 

As for the extra cable needed, I agree with having at least an extra 6 inches to 1 foot in case of mistakes and other unforeseen circumstances. You'll probably only lose a few inches, but it's better to have extra than not enough. 

+1 well said. Words of experience right here.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #684 of 10,535
I prefer paracord because I like how it feels over techflex. Also, the flexibility is better.

However, the techflex I find to be more durable and less prone to fraying like the paracord if it scrapes along something. Easy enough to fix with a quick pass of the lighter, but it's still something to consider.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #685 of 10,535
Lately I have been experimenting LOD's made of all kinds of different wires. I am really surprised that this short piece cable could make a such a difference. Tho I have not experimented any cables for iem's, I am wondering if the impact on SQ from this short piece of cable has anything to do with the fact it is critically bridging the ipod and the amp. Could it be possible that this short cable LOD has more impact on SQ than the long cables of the iem's?

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #686 of 10,535
Well this is the first time i want to make  a good headphone cable, So ordered a good cable + Viablue T6S.

But i dont know how to solding them... I want to make a 8 wire cable but is does not seems to fit in the viablue any tips or this is just not going to work.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #687 of 10,535
  Well this is the first time i want to make  a good headphone cable, So ordered a good cable + Viablue T6S.

But i dont know how to solding them... I want to make a 8 wire cable but is does not seems to fit in the viablue any tips or this is just not going to work.

So the solder points on viablue plugs are already small so it might end up being a huge pain in your rear end but it is definately doable.  I don't even know why viablue puts holes where you are supposed to solder because they are sooooo small so I just ignore them and solder my wires onto the tab.  Fitting two onto each signal should not end up being an issue.   I would say that trying to fit 4 onto ground will be your bigger problem.  Just take your time and be careful nothing shorts and you should be golden.  also if the connections look really close use some heat shrink to isolate each connection.   Good luck.  

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #688 of 10,535
It's going to be frustrating and difficult to make look clean without saintly patience and decent skills.

You can do it. I recommend a second set of hands to help.

Unless you absolutely need 8 conductors or just like a challenge, consider using less.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #689 of 10,535
Hi All,

I am trying to DIY a phono cables for a friend..
It a RCA to RCA connector type with the grounding wires on both ends..

PS - I don't own a turn-tables so no experience with this... just helping a friend

my questions

> anyone has a recommendation for the type or brand of cables to DIY..
> also the additional grounding wires, are they connected to the shielding of the cables..
      or just a separated grounding wire and  shrinkwrap along the cables.
      if you have a schematic, pls PM to me

thanks in advance

not looking for exotic cables but a one which is enjoyable to listen to with huge soundstage and smooth high and good taut bass.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #690 of 10,535
  Hi All,

I am trying to DIY a phono cables for a friend..
It a RCA to RCA connector type with the grounding wires on both ends..

PS - I don't own a turn-tables so no experience with this... just helping a friend

my questions

> anyone has a recommendation for the type or brand of cables to DIY..
> also the additional grounding wires, are they connected to the shielding of the cables..
      or just a separated grounding wire and  shrinkwrap along the cables.
      if you have a schematic, pls PM to me

thanks in advance

not looking for exotic cables but a one which is enjoyable to listen to with huge soundstage and smooth high and good taut bass.

There's really nothing special to them, it's just regular RCAs, with an isolated grounding wire that goes from the TT to the phono pre. Notice the separate grounding wire in the pic below. I do recommend 28-24awg 5-7N solid core silver for the signal wires. Nothing fancy needed for the ground wire, just copper and some spades is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back