DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #541 of 10,535

Maybe start with a 100M spool of Nucleotide from Doublehelixcables.  Great wire, and one of the only pros selling a full spool at a slight discount.  I think he will ship to Malaysia.  Or go with a full spool of Mogami 2893 from a place like Markertek if you want to offer up more of a budget service.

Currently am deciding between Plus sound audio and DHC as well. Am prolly going to get 100ft from DHC first than if alls good than i'll use the income from the work to bring in more amounts of cables.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #542 of 10,535

Currently am deciding between Plus sound audio and DHC as well. Am prolly going to get 100ft from DHC first than if alls good than i'll use the income from the work to bring in more amounts of cables.

If you want to start building cables for people, Head-Fi rules require that you establish yourself as an MOT which means you can't share pics of your work anymore here.. it was a bit tricky for me once I went official. I started doing DIY for people here at cost to get my skills up back in the day.

The DHC Nucleotide is a great way to ensure you are operating with the best cable material possible. Lots of effort went into making sure that was a perfect wire, and Peter provides a lot of backend support for building cables, even if you are doing them as a business. He helped me get off the ground for example, and he's a really nice guy to talk to.

When working with stranded wire, a solder pot makes life infinitely easier, less melted insulation that way.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #546 of 10,535
  hey anyone think the future will have fiber optic cables for iems or headphones

I honestly think it's going to be hard for portable audio to get away from the 3.5mm output. As soon as a company decides to do something different everyone is going to freak out because they wont be able to use their favorite headphones on the device without using some kind of adapter. Everyone here saw how pissed people were about the iPhone 5 having the new Lightning connector for charging instead of the old 30 pin connector, just imagine that but like 1,000 times worse. That's my opinion on that.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #547 of 10,535
  hey anyone think the future will have fiber optic cables for iems or headphones

Just what we need batteries in the headphones or IEM's... wait those are called Hearing Aid's. :D

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #548 of 10,535
lets hope we never have to get those 
biggrin.gif

though i'm planing to see an audiologist to get a ear mold for either ue18 pro or HEIR 8.A 

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #549 of 10,535
Oh crap... thanks for everyone that's responded to my questions about the momentum re-cabling. I've been pretty busy lately so not much time for head-fi. Anyways, this is kind of an odd idea but if you drilled the hole in the momentums and replaced the 2.5mm connector with a 3.5mm connector.... wouldn't that keep the detachable cable functionality while allowing an easier change in cables? Haha just a random idea that popped up.... I somehow feel that the final product is no where near how much effort is involved, and the risks also for that matter.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #550 of 10,535
Oh crap... thanks for everyone that's responded to my questions about the momentum re-cabling. I've been pretty busy lately so not much time for head-fi. Anyways, this is kind of an odd idea but if you drilled the hole in the momentums and replaced the 2.5mm connector with a 3.5mm connector.... wouldn't that keep the detachable cable functionality while allowing an easier change in cables? Haha just a random idea that popped up.... I somehow feel that the final product is no where near how much effort is involved, and the risks also for that matter.

I don't think there would be a lot of risk involved, honestly. As long as the hole around the 2.5mm jack is smaller than the 3.5mm jack you want to use, you shouldn't have any problems. The pictures of the solder points I saw on FraGGler's look easy to work with.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #553 of 10,535
I don't think there would be a lot of risk involved, honestly. As long as the hole around the 2.5mm jack is smaller than the 3.5mm jack you want to use, you shouldn't have any problems. The pictures of the solder points I saw on FraGGler's look easy to work with.

Thanks for the response. Thats actually an interesting g point, didnt think of that. Hmm i'll do more research when time allows i guess, but ugh proprietary cables annoy me a bit haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back