DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #481 of 10,535
hey can any one help me with this first time making diy cable with pins (for iem)....  before i completely destroy these pins
using http://www.ebay.com/itm/230999368940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

the pins heat the plastic up while trying to solder them to wire resulting in the pins moving(melted inside around pins) ... can't get the solder to stick to the pins am i doing something wrong? 

please let me know 

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #482 of 10,535
I'm finding a beautiful Y splitter too like viablue splitter. But i don't know how to call it both in english and my language ... So they called y splitter and cable pants ? Ha.
Do you have any suggestions of Y splitter. I really love stunning things.

Toxic Cables has one, though I can't seem to find it in their online shop.

There are others that are well made, but really for the simplest way to do it I would do like I said.  Take an empty barrel from a 3.5mm connector or a wood bead and slip it over your cable where you want the split to be and put a dab of hot glue inside it.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #483 of 10,535

Toxic Cables has one, though I can't seem to find it in their online shop.

There are others that are well made, but really for the simplest way to do it I would do like I said.  Take an empty barrel from a 3.5mm connector or a wood bead and slip it over your cable where you want the split to be and put a dab of hot glue inside it.

was thinking of finding a place which sells thin aluminium pipes than could try cutting it into pieces which can be used in the place of a connector barrel

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #486 of 10,535

I have some concerns about dealing with this company. Recently I ordered a short piece of wire, and it took me 4 emails in 4 days to just get a response. To me it's not acceptable.

Toxic cables make amazing cables first of all but because it is so popular and it is just one person doing everything it sometimes takes a while to get a response.  Also the wait time for a cable I think is like 16weeks or something like that right now because he has so many orders.  

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #488 of 10,535
Toxic cables make amazing cables first of all but because it is so popular and it is just one person doing everything it sometimes takes a while to get a response.  Also the wait time for a cable I think is like 16weeks or something like that right now because he has so many orders.  

An popular store with 1 person and 16weeks ? This man must be superman

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #489 of 10,535
An popular store with 1 person and 16weeks ? This man must be superman

Ya we keep making jokes that he doesn't sleep but I really don't think he does.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #490 of 10,535
Sep 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #491 of 10,535
Sep 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #493 of 10,535
  anyone have the plastic one there pins melt while soldering
please let me know how you solder it with out letting plastic melt
thx

Tin your wire beforehand, use a low melting point solder, and only keep the iron on the connector for a few seconds. Be sure not to squeeze the plastic when you're done as it will be soft, allow it to cool down before handling.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #495 of 10,535
  someone should start a youtube channel dedicated to making diy iem cables

There are some decent videos out there, but I agree. I've considered making videos of all the cables and interconnect I do but it's time consuming. Wanted to do some tutorials, maybe a Q&A. 

I feel like i know about 1% of what some of the members on the forums, but enough to helps others get started with the basics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back