DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #275 of 10,535
what is a good source for relatively inexpensive IEM cables.  I've heard many references to 'navships' on ebay but his store seems to be shut down.  also i've seen references to a silicon housing distributor 'coonerwire.com' but their stuff is special order and like $5-6/foot.

so where are people getting around 28awg copper, as many strands as possible, with a flexible housing?

and while i'm at it, point me in the right direction for a straight 3.5mm plug on the small side to accommodate said 4 braid litz wire.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #276 of 10,535
If you want cheap wire, use stripped down Mogami W2893.  26AWG, very flexible.  The only down side is if you want only 1 or 2 colors in your wires without sleeving them you will have to buy 2-4x as much wire since each of the 4 conductors are coated in a different color.

You could also look at some wire like this:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/index1/Litz-Wire-Supplier.html

Scroll down to [size=large]
Part # 220/44-Litz-10 --- 220/44 Litz Wire Silk Served Per 10 ft. Price $5.25 ​
[/size]

Never used it, but I've seen it recommended.

For the plugs, I've had good results with Rean (Neutrik) and Amphenol plugs.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #277 of 10,535
Great! thanks for the recommendation, it's just what I was looking for. I'll strip down some 2893 I have and try that first since I'm a function over form type. Really interested in that part #220 too. Looks like it'll come out to around 28awg as a stranded wire. I'm wondering about its tensile strength with that many fine strands.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #278 of 10,535
Another thought, I am gearing up to recable my HD650s and Redco seems to sell canare, mogami, and their own house brand. At 40 cents per foot for what seems very similar to $.85 mogami. Might get a 15ft stretch just to check it out. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #279 of 10,535
Another thought, I am gearing up to recable my HD650s and Redco seems to sell canare, mogami, and their own house brand. At 40 cents per foot for what seems very similar to $.85 mogami. Might get a 15ft stretch just to check it out. 

I like both.

One of the differences in price comes from the shielding. Mogami uses a more expensive copper weave. Since you're stripping it off, there won't be much of a difference.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #280 of 10,535
Quote:
Alright so you will need a total of 4 wires, 2 for each side when making a cable for the HD650 so we are looking at less than $1.25 a foot.  If you want my suggestion go with the copper or silver plated copper from BTG Audio Link.  Otherwise go with something way cheaper like some mogami or canare.  After that all you need are the connectors. 

If you actually already know its 4 wires and bla bla and actually mean $5/ft for each wire in the cable than I would go with the teflon coated copper from DHC.  Man is that stuff good.  

Yes, that's more than my expect. And i didn't  think  that silver plated copper, mogami or canare is cheap like that, at my country people said "this is awesome at USA blah blah" and they always cost >5$/feet (hmm... salty), i think i'll order frm BTG audio and pay the shipping cost ... still cheaper than my nearby sellers ,haha. Thanks for your help.
BTW, i have received my HD650 connectors and i have problem with soldering  
This picture made me so confused (actually the pin from connectors)when i want to make the 4 pin XLR cable   and   2 3pin XLR  cable, don't know which pin go with which wire.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #283 of 10,535
Quote:
Yes, that's more than my expect. And i didn't  think  that silver plated copper, mogami or canare is cheap like that, at my country people said "this is awesome at USA blah blah" and they always cost >5$/feet (hmm... salty), i think i'll order frm BTG audio and pay the shipping cost ... still cheaper than my nearby sellers ,haha. Thanks for your help.
BTW, i have the problem with soldering HD650 connectors 
This picture made me so confused (actually the pin from connectors)when i want to make the 4 pin XLR cable   and   2 3pin XLR  cable.

Well I am glad I could help.  So to answer your question treat signal as the + and ground as - so you will have L+, L-, R+, R-.  the 4 pin XLR will have 4 pins total so its going to be

Pin1: L+
Pin2: L-
Pin3: R-
Pin4: R+

For the 3 pin XLR's 

If it remember correctly
Pin1: Ground
Pin2: L+, R +
Pin3: L-, R-

Pin 1 is not connected to anything. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #284 of 10,535
Quote:
Well I am glad I could help.  So to answer your question treat signal as the + and ground as - so you will have L+, L-, R+, R-.  the 4 pin XLR will have 4 pins total so its going to be

Pin1: L+
Pin2: L-
Pin3: R-
Pin4: R+

For the 3 pin XLR's 

If it remember correctly
Pin1: Ground
Pin2: L+, R +
Pin3: L-, R-

What I don't remember is if you short pin 1 and pin 3.  I think you do.  

Today I learned that theres a convention to XLR... it didn't seem so apparent since I don't have any equipment that uses XLR jacks.

Side note though (not that it's recommended) is that if you're using XLR solely as a adapter kind of interface and you are making all of your adapters, it doesn't actually matter which pins are labeled which as long as they all have the same convention since they will just be a connection. ie. I made my male connectors Pin 1 is left because its left when you are looking at it (Pin 2 is right same reason) and I will be making more cables with male XLR plugs than female since the cable from my headphones have the female plug. However, you should probably do it correctly anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back