DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #256 of 10,535
Quote:
Finally got these in the mail. It took like 3 weeks for them to ship from China. ha I thought this is what I was waiting on before I made my mogami w2893 cable for my HD580s, but then I came across those Sennheiser branded 3.5mm connectors.. Hopefully I can start on this by the end of the week!

Werd. I am still waiting on mine. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #257 of 10,535
Quote:
Finally got these in the mail. It took like 3 weeks for them to ship from China. ha I thought this is what I was waiting on before I made my mogami w2893 cable for my HD580s, but then I came across those Sennheiser branded 3.5mm connectors.. Hopefully I can start on this by the end of the week!

Did you just order a single pair?  Since it does take between 2 and 3 weeks to get them, that is why one should order about 6 pair at a time.  You never know when you'll need more.  Also, when it comes to Acrolink, the FP-640 was an older variant, which has been phased out - according to my understanding.  The FP-650 is of the newer design and features gold-plated pins as your picture indicates.  Also, they make a FP-650(R) model, too. That model has the Rhodium plated pins just like the Cardas Sennheiser plugs do.  Depending on where you buy them, will determine which variant of the FP-650 that you'll get.

For the regular (gold plated) FP-650, I've found that these are readily available on LunaShops.  Also, there are a few vendors on Ebay who sell this model, too.  Again, shipped out of China.

To get the (Rhodium) variant, one would most likely have to go through Alibaba.

Now, this is where it all gets tricky.  LunaShops will have their price stated and you can purchase the product right at that time via the order you place.  You'll know the purchase price and if there's any shipping, etc.  Going through Alibaba, you provide the information on what you're looking for, the quantity, etc.  Within a few hours, you'll be contacted by someone who will provide the pins for you and the cost.  The odd part is that the shipping will be around $20.  On my first inquiry, I requested a quote for 5 pair of pins and had a total quote of $50.00.  I then changed my requested number to 8 pair, and the quote went to $70.  So, you can get the pins for $6 to $7 a pair, and the shipping will run about $20.  To get the FP-650 - as suggested from Lunashops, the price will work out to essentially be the same - or, about $10.00 per pair of pins.  If you want the Rhodium pins, you'll have to pay slightly more if you don't need a larger quantity.  In that case, you might then just consider locating the Cardas pins.  Normally, they are priced in the $15.00 range.  I've seen them as low as $12.00 at Parts Conexion on a sale, though.

Enjoy!

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #258 of 10,535
Thanks! I don't know if I'm ever going to be making another HD580/600/650 cable again, so I didnt order more. I just dont like spending that kind of money on something that I know costs like 10 cents to make. I only got this set to make a cable and sell it off. Thank you for all the info though! I may change my mind, but right now I'm contemplating putting my modded HD580's up for trade for a pair of good IEMs. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #259 of 10,535
Speaking of making a HD650 cable, ts there an optimal wire gauge for the cables? I usually see 21AWG or 24AWG. I found a source for reasonably priced OCC Cu wire offered at 24, 21, or 18 AWG. I was thinking of going all out and doing the 18 AWG for a balanced HD650 because I have a powerful HeadAmp GS-X mk2 incoming. Thoughts?

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #260 of 10,535
Smaller is usually better and I usually recommend 24 or 26 AWG for headphones.

Reason being is that the larger the gauge the bigger they will be which will mean more weight and potentially issues getting the wires to fit inside the connectors.

I personally wouldn't make a headphone cord out of anything bigger than 24AWG wire.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #261 of 10,535
Quote:
Smaller is usually better and I usually recommend 24 or 26 AWG for headphones.

Reason being is that the larger the gauge the bigger they will be which will mean more weight and potentially issues getting the wires to fit inside the connectors.

I personally wouldn't make a headphone cord out of anything bigger than 24AWG wire.

+1 I use 26 beacuse its cheaper 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #262 of 10,535
And 18 if you need a prop for your head while listening...

Look BOBO the cable works as a stand too! :D

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #263 of 10,535
Some cheap low profile jacks that work with phone cases: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251212036568
I had to dremel out the entry as they are very small but great for thin wires or a low profile mini-mini like this (3 wire, 26awg toxic spc) sheathed in nylon:

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #264 of 10,535
Quote:
Speaking of making a HD650 cable, ts there an optimal wire gauge for the cables? I usually see 21AWG or 24AWG. I found a source for reasonably priced OCC Cu wire offered at 24, 21, or 18 AWG. I was thinking of going all out and doing the 18 AWG for a balanced HD650 because I have a powerful HeadAmp GS-X mk2 incoming. Thoughts?

Please allow me to confirm.  You are getting a HeadAmp GS-X MK2 heading your way and you want to build your own cables?   J/K 
biggrin.gif

On the other hand, if you use 18ga materials, there might be a bit more weight to the cable than you'd like.  I'd suggest that you potentially make a mock-up of the cable using a cheaper 18ga wire to see how it feels to you - weight, etc.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #265 of 10,535
Quote:

Please allow me to confirm.  You are getting a HeadAmp GS-X MK2 heading your way and you want to build your own cables?   J/K 
biggrin.gif

Ha! Yes, but one of the things waiting for the GS-X makes you do is consider every permutation possible. At one point I had this crazy idea to make this behemoth cable out of two quarter inch think interconnects (one cable for each channel like Cadras Clear) ... just stupid insanity. There are a few usual suspects that make great HP cables, and I have a few custom quotes out. But just wanted to ping opinion on gauge size since I've not seen anything below 21 AWG. I do like the 8 and 16 braid designs by numerous companies and here in the DIY forums that bring together 2 or 4 strands of 24AWG wire per channel. I will most likely go with an 8 braid 24AWG design ... Thanks for the advice!

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #266 of 10,535
Quote:

biggrin.gif

On the other hand, if you use 18ga materials, there might be a bit more weight to the cable than you'd like.  I'd suggest that you potentially make a mock-up of the cable using a cheaper 18ga wire to see how it feels to you - weight, etc.

Can you help me choose the most suitable cable for recable HD650 ? I'm needing the <5$/feet cable.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #267 of 10,535
Quote:
Can you help me choose the most suitable cable for recable HD650 ? I'm needing the <5$/feet cable.

Alright so you will need a total of 4 wires, 2 for each side when making a cable for the HD650 so we are looking at less than $1.25 a foot.  If you want my suggestion go with the copper or silver plated copper from BTG Audio Link.  Otherwise go with something way cheaper like some mogami or canare.  After that all you need are the connectors. 

If you actually already know its 4 wires and bla bla and actually mean $5/ft for each wire in the cable than I would go with the teflon coated copper from DHC.  Man is that stuff good.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #268 of 10,535
Not sure I'm making sense but I'll clarify if I am not sorry about the bad english.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #269 of 10,535
Quote:
Not sure I'm making sense but I'll clarify if I am not sorry about the bad english.  

Nope.  You seemed perfectly clear to me.  $5.00 a foot, can really mean a lot of things as you've pointed out.  Some people might even choose to run double conductors instead.  This would make an 8-wire braid needed for the cable ... and a somewhat costly cable, too.

To say you want cable advice for a cable that is less than $5.00 per foot can be quite generic.  It would be kind of like me going out to buy a car and just saying I'd like a blue car for under $10,000.  That really leaves a lot of options open.  I think for $10,000 one can even buy a blue Jaguar that has been totaled out in a major accident.  However, one would have their blue Jaguar ... and for under $10,000 too.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back