DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #10,516 of 10,535
My IEM cable has detached from the plug. Still functions fine, but does anyone know what kind of glue I can use? I'm sure "any glue/superglue" would work, but I want to fix it properly. Thanks.

image0.jpeg

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #10,518 of 10,535
Hi, I want to convert an aftermarket balanced cable I have, 4.4mm to Sennheiser plugs, to 3.5mm at the headphone ends...before I split these Sennheiser plugs open what am I going to find inside, i.e is it single core plus shield or twin core and unconnected shield? Should I be looking to use mono or stereo 3.5mm plugs, and how to wire them up? It's for Hifiman phones. Many thanks for any help offered.

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #10,519 of 10,535
WooHoo! I finally finished my balanced Utopia cable.

8 strand mogami W2799
Individually sleeved into ParacordPlanet 95 lb paracord
Bead purchased at a craft recycling store in Colorado Springs (10 for 25 cents, such a deal!)

Sound great to me. Way lighter than stock cable! I love making things. A hobby ain't a hobby unless you make something.

The Lemo connector is tiny, but I found it easier to solder than the HD800 connector. The hole there is wide enough to slide the two 26AWG (effectively 24AWG) wire into. After I soldered the blue, i slid the heat shrink up and melted it. I used a hemostat to hold the wire as I soldered it, which allowed me to hold it close, not burn my fingers, and acted as a heat sink to protect the heat shrink.

Technically I didn't need the bead as the Y of the braid of the 8 strand to 4 strand holds really well, but I like the bead.

What's the pinout for the Utopia balanced? I have a non-balanced 3rd party cable I want to switch to a 2.5mm balanced but I'm not sure which pins on it's Lemo connections should correlated to which contacts on the 2.5mm TRRS connector.

I've found lots of diagrams like this online but it's unclear to me if this is same layout I should use for the Utopia 2.5mm and if so which pins from the headphone side should correlate to these.
1697587852365.png

The stock non-balanced cable measures as follows with my multimeter if that helps.
Headphone sideJack side (TRS)
L1 pin (red dot side)T
L2 pinS
R1 pin (red dot side)R
R2 pinS

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #10,520 of 10,535
I did some further digging and figured out a possible mapping but I'm still not sure if it's correct.

I took the continuity measurements from the stock cable and attempted to map those to the R+, R-, L+, L- values on the headphone attachment side by using this guide. i.e. tried to figure out how a standard 3.5mm like the stock cable would translate the TRS to in terms of R+, R-, L+, L-. Then I translated the R+, R-, L+, L- values to the most common TRRS pinout I've seen which gives this.

Does it seem correct? I organized it by the balanced column but the stock TRS column having a different mapping / order makes me wonder if this is right.

Headphone sideStock 3.5mm< Mapped correctly?2.5mm bal
R2 (blank)SR-T
R1 (red dot)RR+R
L1 (red dot)TL+R
L2 (blank)SL-S

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #10,521 of 10,535
Hello! I was wondering if I could make an unbalanced cable for the Sony MDR-1AM2 or MDR-M1st by using a 3.5mm TRS connector on either end. According to the pinout diagram I found online, the second ring should be for R- and the sleeve for L-, and since an unbalanced cable doesn't distinguish between the two, I was thinking it would be okay to just use a trs connector instead of a trrs connector. Thank you!

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #10,523 of 10,535
If there is anyone in this thread who will benefit from receiving my surplus of cable connectors and supplies that haven't been used in some years, please send me a PM.

If you know of someone that would benefit from this, send me details about them in a PM, that would also be okay.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #10,524 of 10,535
If there is anyone in this thread who will benefit from receiving my surplus of cable connectors and supplies that haven't been used in some years, please send me a PM.

If you know of someone that would benefit from this, send me details about them in a PM, that would also be okay.
Very generous offer! Would love to have them but there are others who would probably put them to better use. :beerchug:

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #10,525 of 10,535
i´m having issues again with an Eletech cable, and i´m not gonna send it back again to Singapore, the last time it was sent they swapped the 4.4mm plug and after 4 months i´m having the same issues again...so is there anyone in Europe who´s willing to repair?

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #10,527 of 10,535
Ask Ian at cosmic cables
Thanks but he is in the UK, I want to avoid the hassle of dealing with custom declarations and custom taxes, looking for someone in EU.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #10,528 of 10,535
Hello new to this thread and got a bit of a weird request for anyone who's up for the task or if anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it :) .

About a year ago I purchased a now discontinued DIY aliexpress R2R NOS DAC called RDAC-1 manufactured by a group that goes by MillionAudio or 傳說中的藏精閣 on Taobao. Out of curiosity I decided to purchase it, long story short it took a long time to arrive and kind of forgot about it. I recently dug it up from my collection and decided to give it a try, however I needed to purchase their own proprietary USB DDC system in order to use it. Unfortunately that version of their USB DDC has also been discontinued and I'm basically stuck with a papper weight.

Was hoping someone could help me find a custom cable maker who has experience with I2S cables since this DAC takes in I2S via sma connectors. I'm looking for a cable that has an HDMI head on one side (will most likely be used with the Holo Red DDC) and 4 sma connectors on the other side.

This is what the DAC input looks like:

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231221_233112_Brave.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231221_233112_Brave.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #10,530 of 10,535
Who do you guys normally buy connectors? I’ve bought an assortment through AliExpress and Amazon and a few other places, but I want to get a 3.5mm connector that comes with a screw on 1/4 jack adapter. I’ve been having a hard time finding some so wanted to ask for a resource for quality connectors that might offer something like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back