DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 15, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #10,471 of 10,535
2 pin IEM connectors. Which pin is postive and which negative?
Hi.

In connectors that have a small notch, this always goes out, and the negative pin would be the one in front. In others it may be painted. I leave a couple of images in case they help you.

2pin_config_01.jpg

H48703847009447a58d470ff4fe83b988N.jpg

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #10,472 of 10,535
Hi.

In connectors that have a small notch, this always goes out, and the negative pin would be the one in front. In others it may be painted. I leave a couple of images in case they help you.

I personally experienced, sometimes i have to measure to be sure, cause some cable builder solder wrong pinout. mostly you could also hear it or use the earhook as indicator.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #10,475 of 10,535
Highest quality 2pin connectors around?

Tried eidoloc and plussound. And bunch of the better looking AliExpress
OEAudio pure copper are excellent

Jul 26, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #10,477 of 10,535
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #10,479 of 10,535
Hello all, new to the forum. Just wanted to sing the praises of using aspirin to remove the enamel from litz wire when attempting to tin litz wire without owning a solder pot. I had some exceedingly stubborn litz headphone wire that I could not tin for the life of me using just a soldering iron and flux. I even made a couple of DIY solder pots but they too were unsuccessful. Just make sure you have good air circulation/ventilation when attempting this as the gas fumes that the soldering iron melted aspirin pill generates are nothing nice.

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #10,480 of 10,535
Hello all, new to the forum. Just wanted to sing the praises of using aspirin to remove the enamel from litz wire when attempting to tin litz wire without owning a solder pot. I had some exceedingly stubborn litz headphone wire that I could not tin for the life of me using just a soldering iron and flux. I even made a couple of DIY solder pots but they too were unsuccessful. Just make sure you have good air circulation/ventilation when attempting this as the gas fumes that the soldering iron melted aspirin pill generates are nothing nice.
What’s the technique?

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #10,481 of 10,535
Very thing litz you can turn the iron up and "stroke" the enamel off. It's messy though.

Otherwise just buy a pot and some flux-free bar solder to go in it. Make sure its hot enough before you use it too. Stick some flux paste / liquid on the wire end and dip into the pot, within about 2 seconds should see the brown enamel burning off and bubbling brown to the surface. Then you can remove to see a nicely tinned end.

If its not hot enough it takes 5+ seconds to do this, and you'll burn more wire and melt more jacket.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #10,482 of 10,535
What’s the technique?
You strip the other insulator from the wire, load some solder onto your iron and then lay your "bare" enameled wire on top of an aspirin pill while running your solder iron on top of the wire. The heat from the iron will near instantly melt the aspirin releasing acetic acid and salicylic acid which then work as a kind of flux, transferring the solder loaded onto the tip of your iron to the wire. The acid burned enamel will show up as black marks in the solder, which a second pass removes leaving a shinny tinned litz wire.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #10,483 of 10,535
Very thing litz you can turn the iron up and "stroke" the enamel off. It's messy though.

Otherwise just buy a pot and some flux-free bar solder to go in it. Make sure its hot enough before you use it too. Stick some flux paste / liquid on the wire end and dip into the pot, within about 2 seconds should see the brown enamel burning off and bubbling brown to the surface. Then you can remove to see a nicely tinned end.

If its not hot enough it takes 5+ seconds to do this, and you'll burn more wire and melt more jacket.
I tried turning my iron up to over 400°c to simply melt the enamel of my wire using a chisel tip on a V2 Pinecil with a PD3.1 usb-c power supply operating at 28v & over 100 watts & it came out terribly. Even using an exacto knife I could never remove all of the black burned enamel caused by my iron & while I was able to tin it well enough to make a connection, the solder was matte grey and looked like the surface of the moon sporadically covering the wire in between the black burned enamel covered portion of wire. I have a feeling those connections would not last long had I not sought out a better way to tin my wire. & I know that I could have just used a solder pot but the purpose of my post was for anyone that needs to tin litz wire while at that time not owning or having access to a solder pot.

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #10,484 of 10,535
You strip the other insulator from the wire, load some solder onto your iron and then lay your "bare" enameled wire on top of an aspirin pill while running your solder iron on top of the wire. The heat from the iron will near instantly melt the aspirin releasing acetic acid and salicylic acid which then work as a kind of flux, transferring the solder loaded onto the tip of your iron to the wire. The acid burned enamel will show up as black marks in the solder, which a second pass removes leaving a shinny tinned litz wire.
I do not like the idea of using any form of acid flux for soldering especially with 60/40 solder. Solder pots are not expensive and work so much better.😉 I always use a desktop air filter to draw away the fumes as well.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #10,485 of 10,535
I'm trying to make a 4-pin XLR to dual 3.5mm cable work with my MDR-z7s. The cable works with my Fostex T-X0, so I assume it has to be rewired to work with the z7. Does anyone know what is required and if it's at the XLR termination or the drivers?

Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back