DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #10,126 of 10,535
Hello everybody, new DIY’er here. Have made 5 cables so far, and recable’d my Fostex TR20P. Just finished my first Litz cable (struggle to solder, but finally I got it right)
Have a issue with the resistance in the cable, it’s about 5 meters long (≈15ft). The resistance is 12 ohms, and made my HE6SE(50ohm) sound honky compared to my Canare cable.
Is it because litz wire? Braiding technique? Or bad soldering? After some quickly reading I read that litz is preferred on longer wires. The resistance shouldn’t be an issue if I reconnected to fit my HD6XX, but on low impedance headphones it’s to much with 12 ohm right?
everything over 0.1Ohm with those lenghts is too much

my guess is a bad solder joint or like phils said the enamel wasnt complety removed, if your wire is enameled i would scratch it up with a knife and than use a lot solder on your iron to burn the rest off and also use a good gel flux so the isolation will be washed away :wink:

Edit: just read that its 5meter not ft XD then everything under 1Ohm should be fine

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #10,127 of 10,535
Hey guys!

So I wanna try my hand on making an IEM cable for the Sennheiser IE400 Pro.

Here are the parts I'm looking at (haven't bought 'em yet):

1623293277871.png

(jack, splitter, slider, and connectors)

1623293318403.png

(cable)

I could get the parts + cable for around 11 USD from 14 using vouchers + coins (Shopee).

Planning to do a 4-core cable to keep things simple for my first try. I already have some hot glue, a soldering iron and lead, and heat shrink tubes.
I have done basic recabling with my buds but nothing at this cable-making/braiding level yet. Are there other tools I need?

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if IE400 Pro connectors are similar to MMCX in where I solder L/R and ground? Already asked the seller for a pic of the connector without the housing but haven't received one yet.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #10,128 of 10,535
would always recommend a good
Hey guys!

So I wanna try my hand on making an IEM cable for the Sennheiser IE400 Pro.

Here are the parts I'm looking at (haven't bought 'em yet):

1623293277871.png
(jack, splitter, slider, and connectors)

1623293318403.png
(cable)

I could get the parts + cable for around 11 USD from 14 using vouchers + coins (Shopee).

Planning to do a 4-core cable to keep things simple for my first try. I already have some hot glue, a soldering iron and lead, and heat shrink tubes.
I have done basic recabling with my buds but nothing at this cable-making/braiding level yet. Are there other tools I need?

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if IE400 Pro connectors are similar to MMCX in where I solder L/R and ground? Already asked the seller for a pic of the connector without the housing but haven't received one yet.

Thanks a lot!

would always recommend a good flux paste -> makes the joints so much easier and some needle nose pliers

mmcx pinout normally is ground is the outer ring and signal is the pin in the middle but i dont have a sennheiser iem here to check it if Senn is special with the wireing again :wink:

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #10,129 of 10,535
would always recommend a good

would always recommend a good flux paste -> makes the joints so much easier and some needle nose pliers

mmcx pinout normally is ground is the outer ring and signal is the pin in the middle but i dont have a sennheiser iem here to check it if Senn is special with the wireing again :wink:
Thanks a lot!

Do I also need some epoxy putty or hot glue will do in setting the housing of the jack and splitter?

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #10,130 of 10,535
Do I also need some epoxy putty or hot glue will do in setting the housing of the jack and splitter?
depends on the jack and splitter but i just jam some tack-on in the splitter if it still moves around and for the jacks i only use heat shrink

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #10,131 of 10,535
depends on the jack and splitter but i just jam some tack-on in the splitter if it still moves around and for the jacks i only use heat shrink
Thanks a lot for the advice! Will do that.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #10,132 of 10,535
Hi all :) I asked this on another topic but didn't get a lot of replies. Maybe here, who knows !
I'm looking for custom headphone cable makers based in Europe and at affordable prices. I have a 5-cable project with very precise specs. :)

I was about to do business with Alan Lovell (UK) 6 months ago, but he suddenly went AWOL.
I know many cable makers in the US (Hart Audio, Halby, etc.), but shipping + taxes make it difficult for me to buy from them.
So, any european alternatives ?
I’ve ordered from this guy who is actually in the UK, Sky Audio Cables: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174687306587
He makes some really nice paracord cables for only around £50.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #10,133 of 10,535
Hi all :) I asked this on another topic but didn't get a lot of replies. Maybe here, who knows !
I'm looking for custom headphone cable makers based in Europe and at affordable prices. I have a 5-cable project with very precise specs. :)

I was about to do business with Alan Lovell (UK) 6 months ago, but he suddenly went AWOL.
I know many cable makers in the US (Hart Audio, Halby, etc.), but shipping + taxes make it difficult for me to buy from them.
So, any european alternatives ?
For mainland EU Audioverse makes cables in germany

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #10,136 of 10,535
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #10,139 of 10,535
If you look at the 4th picture along and send how the wire is wound you can usually tell that it it a bit hard and inflexible, where as if you see it on a fairly small
bobbin it is always more flexible like this. https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/silver-cotton
Nice tip thanks, the bobbin indeed shows how easily it can make turns with minimal radius, though the images show different AWG sizes which affects flexibility so not a fair comparison, any idea where to get reasonably priced wire? preferably China else in Europe, I was waiting for MOGAMI NEGLEX W2893 from Audiophonics but it's out of stock, they have the only reasonable price+shipping I could find to my country.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #10,140 of 10,535
But the original wire that you wanted from ebay at 1.2mm is $8.32 as opposed to about $5.50 for a far superior wire, I'm guessing you need more than 1 metre, so assuming you need 6m price with delivery would be the same but you'd get a product that you happy with, the wire from ebay is not worth $8 per metre. Try it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back