DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 5, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #10,111 of 10,535
Yes. Sadly it was force majeure for health issues. We can hardly blame him for that.
My point is that if that guy could provide extreme customization at such affordable prices and still be happy and earn money honestly, others can too.
My point is that we are paying too much for cables, no matter how pretty they are. Cables aren't jewels.
Yes, they take some time and precision to make. But not to the point to make them cost 100$/€/£ or more (per cable !). That's where it becomes audiophoolery IMHO.

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #10,112 of 10,535
Yes. Sadly it was force majeure for health issues. We can hardly blame him for that.
My point is that if that guy could provide extreme customization at such affordable prices and still be happy and earn money honestly, others can too.
My point is that we are paying too much for cables, no matter how pretty they are. Cables aren't jewels.
Yes, they take some time and precision to make. But not to the point to make them cost 100$/€/£ or more (per cable !). That's where it becomes audiophoolery IMHO.

Go through a BOM on a nice cable and add up materials, then add in labor, then add in the tools required, then add in the skills it takes. $100 is cheap for nice, customized cables and if you don't think so then maybe it's time for you to enter the cable making game and make a killing.

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #10,113 of 10,535
My point remains : if that guy could do it and didn't lose money, others can too. :)
Other cable manufacturers are cheap too (e.g. Hart Audio : about $40 per cable, excl. shipping and taxes), even if they don't provide the same level of customization (braided stuff, etc.). So it's definitely possible.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #10,114 of 10,535
There are cables for all budgets, if someone has the disposable income and wants to spend big money on nice cables then that is their prerogative.

I make my own.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #10,115 of 10,535
Now if I could just find ultra slim 3.5mm plugs for the 99 Classics I'd be happy. :wink:

Jun 5, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #10,116 of 10,535
Jun 5, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #10,117 of 10,535
Jun 5, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #10,118 of 10,535
There are cables for all budgets, if someone has the disposable income and wants to spend big money on nice cables then that is their prerogative.
It certainly is, and I never said otherwise. Anybody is free to spend 100% of his income on whatever he sees fit. That's not my point.

I make my own.
So did Alan. He was a regular Head-Fi member, you know.

And then one day he started making custom cables to help others.
Because that's how "communities" work, and that's something that we tend to forget nowadays.

And then, seeing his success, he decided to make a small business out of it, which is totally legit.
But he always did it because he loved making cables, not to earn big money out of it. That's something that we tend to forget too.

Jun 5, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #10,119 of 10,535
best one i did find for narrow Plugs :wink: -> long 3.5mm Plug
Nice connector :) Would the plastic body fit partly into the 99's holes (like the 99's original plugs), or does it stay entirely "outside" of the holes ?
I'd be interested in plugs for the 99's (3.5mm) and also for the Nighthawks (2.5mm). Both have recessed connectors.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #10,120 of 10,535
A cable I made back in the day, just to see how it was done. Turned out to be a useful, basic skill, as my next custom self made cable will be for an electric patio heater! It is all a matter of getting the appropriate cable and ends and making sure everything is securely attached.

39147620274_1b871d51ee.jpg

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #10,121 of 10,535
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #10,122 of 10,535
Nice connector :) Would the plastic body fit partly into the 99's holes (like the 99's original plugs), or does it stay entirely "outside" of the holes ?
I'd be interested in plugs for the 99's (3.5mm) and also for the Nighthawks (2.5mm). Both have recessed connectors.
could be small enough to fit in the hole, but because of the "elongated shaft" XD it will be partially outside the meze connectors :wink:

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #10,123 of 10,535
Hello everybody, new DIY’er here. Have made 5 cables so far, and recable’d my Fostex TR20P. Just finished my first Litz cable (struggle to solder, but finally I got it right)
Have a issue with the resistance in the cable, it’s about 5 meters long (≈15ft). The resistance is 12 ohms, and made my HE6SE(50ohm) sound honky compared to my Canare cable.
Is it because litz wire? Braiding technique? Or bad soldering? After some quickly reading I read that litz is preferred on longer wires. The resistance shouldn’t be an issue if I reconnected to fit my HD6XX, but on low impedance headphones it’s to much with 12 ohm right?

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #10,124 of 10,535
Hello everybody, new DIY’er here. Have made 5 cables so far, and recable’d my Fostex TR20P. Just finished my first Litz cable (struggle to solder, but finally I got it right)
Have a issue with the resistance in the cable, it’s about 5 meters long (≈15ft). The resistance is 12 ohms, and made my HE6SE(50ohm) sound honky compared to my Canare cable.
Is it because litz wire? Braiding technique? Or bad soldering? After some quickly reading I read that litz is preferred on longer wires. The resistance shouldn’t be an issue if I reconnected to fit my HD6XX, but on low impedance headphones it’s to much with 12 ohm right?

How did you tin the ends or the Litz wire before soldering? Maybe you weren't able to completely remove the enamel from all the strands leaving some partials opens.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #10,125 of 10,535
How did you tin the ends or the Litz wire before soldering? Maybe you weren't able to completely remove the enamel from all the strands leaving some partials opens.
- I burned the cotton with fast lighter burns
- Melted Flux and covered the wire
- Dipped the wire in solderpot many times over short sessions to not melt any isolation (the solder didn’t stick)
- Used the solder pen with a chunk of solder on it and held it close to the wire until I got it completely covered in solder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back