DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #9,886 of 10,535
Dunu ripped off the design of a Lemo connector for their modular cable system. (Specifically the Lemo model 0b.304)
You'll find tons of chinese copies of this design on AE. Some of them are quite sleek and small.

EDIT: Yes, the YC8 would work. But you can find better and smaller.

Awesome thank! I'll give those a look.

There is also GX16 a bit more bulky but very cheap. You also can find 2.5mm TRRS male/female I don't think anything is smaller than that.

Definitely a bit bulky for my uses, but good to know what is out there. I've been considering 2.5mm, but think it may be a bit fragile. 4.4 is a good solution, but then the size is close to locking connectors. Major points to each of those though because then you end up with a shorter more portable wire if needed with zero adaptor necessary. I saw Currawong mention in one of his videos that he now uses most cables with 4.4 balanced and uses an adaptor for 1/4 in or xlr depending on the amp.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #9,887 of 10,535
I'm making an eight-core balanced headphone cable for my ZMF Atticus and Blackwood... could someone confirm for me that all four pins in the mini-XLR receptacles are wired to the drivers, or just pins 1 and 3? I know I can get away with just using pins 1 and 3 but if I can use all four, I might as well. Just want to make 100% sure I'm not wiring things up to a dead end. I know Audeze does this, just not sure if this is how ZMFs are wired as well. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #9,888 of 10,535
Awesome thank! I'll give those a look.

Definitely a bit bulky for my uses, but good to know what is out there. I've been considering 2.5mm, but think it may be a bit fragile. 4.4 is a good solution, but then the size is close to locking connectors. Major points to each of those though because then you end up with a shorter more portable wire if needed with zero adaptor necessary. I saw Currawong mention in one of his videos that he now uses most cables with 4.4 balanced and uses an adaptor for 1/4 in or xlr depending on the amp.

4.4 is the future, nonetheless 2.5 as interconnect hanging in the middle of the cable it should be fine if you need the SFF.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #9,889 of 10,535
I'm making an eight-core balanced headphone cable for my ZMF Atticus and Blackwood... could someone confirm for me that all four pins in the mini-XLR receptacles are wired to the drivers, or just pins 1 and 3? I know I can get away with just using pins 1 and 3 but if I can use all four, I might as well. Just want to make 100% sure I'm not wiring things up to a dead end. I know Audeze does this, just not sure if this is how ZMFs are wired as well. Thanks!

From what I understand they just use pins 1 and 3. I have seen that some people bridge pins 2 and 4, but also heard that it doesn't do anything.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #9,891 of 10,535
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #9,894 of 10,535
If I use 3.5mm TRS plugs for a Focal Clear, do I just bridge the R and S inside for the negative? More likely to work than just not connecting the Ring? Surely be weird for the socket to contact the sleeve of a TS plug right up near the tip and for it not to work (I E. If you just left the Ring disconnected, surely still contacts the sleeve down near the base)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #9,895 of 10,535
I don't make cables anymore, but when I built cables for Focal Clear, yes, I bridged the RS when using 3.5mm TRS connectors. It covers the basis of headphone brands configured as TR or TS, so that one cable with dual 3.5mm TRS connectors will work for Focal, HifiMAN, Denon, Beyerdynamic....etc. High quality 3.5mm mono (TS) connectors are very hard to find, but TRS is plentiful and with a lot more high quality choices from Plussounds, Eidolic, VIABLUE, and Furutech to name a few.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #9,898 of 10,535
Has anyone found decent ultra slim TS or TRS 3.5mm plugs that fit the Meze 99 cups? Great headphones except for the proprietary cup connectors and that horrible, rubbery stock cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back