DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 21, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #7,156 of 10,535
I totally forgot about the Switchcraft mini-xlr. Actually, I like those better because they don't have the super-long boot that hangs off the end. They're pricey though, but I guess we're talking about an Audeze cable here :wink:

Which one are you talking about?
This?
mini_xlr_ta_female_red.jpg

Or this?
ta3fsh.png

4 pin version of course.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #7,157 of 10,535
Which one are you talking about?
This?

Or this?

4 pin version of course.

@CarlosUnchained I was talking about the top one. I've never had any experience with the bottom one. Those have short boots, which is nice because the long boots on the Redcos hit my shoulders when I'm wearing my ZMFs. Anyway, I usually go through this seller on Ebay to get my mini 4-pins. They're not Switchraft brand but they're much cheaper and the quality seems identical. The only "gotcha" is you have to wait for about two weeks if you get them from Ebay. Not because of the seller but because of customs because the seller is in China.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #7,158 of 10,535
Most of the boots or grommets can be popped out of the connectors if you do not want them in there. Then the connectors are pretty similar to the Switchcraft shown. The Neutriks have a very good system for clamping down on the cable so you have little worry about a wire coming loose down the road because of cable tension. If such a clamp is not in place I generally use hot glue to reinforce the grip on the cable.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #7,159 of 10,535
I am also working on a device that lets you slit the outside jacket of cable like star quad for fast removal of the inner wires. I have some projects where we have to lay open a couple feet of wire quickly to get to the wires inside and I have an adjustable method in mind.
Never tried it, but that should be pretty doable with a cheap little cable ripper without building anything fancy.
2rfvwpd.jpg

Probably too large to do the job as is on most cabling, but all the tweaking you'd need to do to make it suitable for smaller wire is to shrink the little point down to suit smaller cables or thinner jackets... or be really careful and ensure you only apply enough pressure to split the jacket.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7,160 of 10,535
IMG_1984.JPG I have a couple cable rippers for larger cable and while I am not sure of the exact size of that one I suspect it works on large cable as well.

What I have in mind incorporates Easton aluminum tubing that comes in a multiple of exact sizes. The cable would travel down the short tube and be split by a razor blade (single sided) for a long lasting precise cut. The tubing holds the cable in place so the depth of cut is always perfect. So far i have thought of four ways to attach the blade permanently.

I would set the tubing into two curved pieces of wood or tray acrylic so that two fingers could grip the tube so it could be pulled down the cable.

Most star quad is approximately a quarter inch in diameter so it is just a matter of matching up the tubing with the cable.

The beauty of my theory is the tubing is waste product, something a lot of people would normally just throw away even though in its initial stage it can be quite pricey. Here is an example of how you normally buy the tubing under consideration:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Easton-X...701544?hash=item2a859417a8:g:AIAAAOSwSzRZSbaZ

I have been into archery for many years so I have plenty of the small pieces of tubing that one cuts off the shaft after cutting the arrow to the proper size for each individual. (I build, fletch and crest custom arrows)

Rigid copper pipe is readily available and if you can find that with a quarter inch inside diameter I imagine you could do the same with it. You would need a small reamer or deburring tool to take away the sharp edge on the inside of the metal but even a philips screwdriver can work in a pinch.

This should well be a viable solution but not for everyone. I have rethought the grip portion and a simple graduated rubber grommet over the end of the tubing attached with hot glue or epoxy would do the trick.

Tom

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #7,161 of 10,535
Hello,

I'm making a mobile cable for my TH-X00s for work to use with my iPhone. I'm planning on using THC 24AWG silver plated OCC copper wire. There will be 3 conductors of that wire in the cable, along with a naked conductor for a remote control + mic salvaged from a broken pair of apple earpods. Will I be able to fit these in type III (550) paracord from paracord planet with a simple 3 strand braid?

If not, will I be able to fit them if I twist instead? Else, what paracord should I get?

Thanks.

--Sennder

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #7,162 of 10,535
My best guess is the 550 paracord should be large enough to work.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,163 of 10,535
Hello,

I'm making a mobile cable for my TH-X00s for work to use with my iPhone. I'm planning on using THC 24AWG silver plated OCC copper wire. There will be 3 conductors of that wire in the cable, along with a naked conductor for a remote control + mic salvaged from a broken pair of apple earpods. Will I be able to fit these in type III (550) paracord from paracord planet with a simple 3 strand braid?

If not, will I be able to fit them if I twist instead? Else, what paracord should I get?

Thanks.

--Sennder
Put it simply, I can fit one single 24AWG cable wif conductor nicely into a Paracord 95 (2mm). And it nicely fit into it like its made for it

Hope it helps
Bilson

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #7,166 of 10,535
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #7,168 of 10,535
By the way, I'm planning on a 8 thread braid
You should find some smaller gauge wire. Looking at the conversion table and that makes it 19 awg so a 8 wire braid would be pretty big.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #7,169 of 10,535
I'm looking for some 3.5mm TRS female connector but I'm having difficulties to find a good quality one.

I like Neutrik, you can get them from Markertek, they may be under the Rean name. Generally any major brand holds up, Amphenol, Switchcraft, etc.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #7,170 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back