DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 4, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #6,377 of 10,535
  I can tell you one way it could be feasible but other diy'ers might cringe at this suggestion. Since you are talking about slitting the cable to pull out wires, I am hard pressed to think of a jacketed cable that would suit your needs. There is one type of cable that I can think of that would have plenty of wires, can be purchased easily no matter where you live, and comes in a shielded version that is still fairly flexible. The quality of the wires is not as good as some I could suggest but one solution could be to use a shielded or non-shielded cat 5e patch cable. Patch cables use stranded wires, are generally 24 awg copper wire (stay away from copper covered aluminum), and consist of four twisted pairs thus eight wires. It would be easy enough to simply cut the connectors from the cable, slit the jacket and mylar foil shield, and remove one twisted pair for the microphone. You are then left with three pair that could be used for left channel, right channel, and ground. Not only are they twisted pair but each pair is twisted at a different rate compared to each other. Such a cable is inexpensive, fairly flexible (jacket thickness is minimal) and readily available all over the world. If you combine twisted pairs, the cumulative wire gauge would probably be about 21 awg or you could just use three of the wires for TRS connection and stay with 24 awg.

Tom

I don't think I have ever encountered a cat 5 cable that I found to be particularly flexible. I have 5 of them here, all stranded and with seemingly different build quality and they would be too stiff for my taste. What about heat shrink? Do you know of any kind that is known for being very flexible? If I get heat shrink that is very flexible and get it in a size that would allow stripped and braided cables to move without too much friction, that might work? If not, then I guess I will have to go with star quad cable and make do with that.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #6,378 of 10,535
I don't think I have ever encountered a cat 5 cable that I found to be particularly flexible. I have 5 of them here, all stranded and with seemingly different build quality and they would be too stiff for my taste. What about heat shrink? Do you know of any kind that is known for being very flexible? If I get heat shrink that is very flexible and get it in a size that would allow stripped and braided cables to move without too much friction, that might work? If not, then I guess I will have to go with star quad cable and make do with that.
[/quote

I have never encountered heat shrink tubing that was made to be flexible. I was trying to suggest a type of cable where you could slit the jacket and remove two wires, unless you are talking about slitting the jacket near the end, star quad is not going to be easy. The fifth conductor is the braided shield.

Tom

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #6,379 of 10,535
Does anyone know how the stereo 2.5mm jack that goes in the the cup on the HE-1000v2 is wired?

Could someone test with a multimeter please :)

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #6,380 of 10,535

this is why you see so many cables made from single wires sleeved in paracord or higher-end wire
braided, because it is flexible, i think if you could find a nice 5 wire braid style, it would be the most
flexible option, i think i've seen something similar by Peterek, you might want to do a search

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #6,381 of 10,535
Does anyone know how the stereo 2.5mm jack that goes in the the cup on the HE-1000v2 is wired?

Could someone test with a multimeter please :)
I believe it is the same as the 400S and that is tip + and sleeve - . I have replaced mine with mono 2.5 mm plugs now so I can't be for certain but I think it is.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #6,384 of 10,535
What mono plugs did you use?  I 'm trying to switch from my he-500's smb connectors, but haven't yet found a jack that would fit well inside the headphone enclosure.
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Furutech-Valab-Oyaide-Shure-Denon-diy-headphone-cable-connector/Eidolic-astell-kern-3-5-2-5-mm-1-8-4-pole-balanced-trrs-headphone-iem/Norne-Audio-Eidolic-2-5-mm-oppo-pm-1-oppo-pm-2-nighthawk-sennheiser-hd700-hd-700-headphone-connector-diy-hifiman-he-400i-400s-he-x-he-1000-he1k these are what I used.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #6,385 of 10,535
@Mikko Peltonen @sharktopus

I bought a pair of Redco 2.5 TRS for a cable I'm currently making for my 400i. The silver are not available ATM, but they have red and black. http://www.redco.com/Redco-2.5mm-Male-TRS-w-Collar.html
Diameter of the sleeve is 8mm and it's the maximum that will fit the HE-400i. The collar is 3mm long. If planning to use larger than 8mm diameter connectors, collar must be minimum 4mm long

It fits as a perfect sized glove!

And this is the cable.

Almost done, just waiting on the new soldering station. My old RadioShack iron decided to crap out on me, long overdue for an upgrade anyway/.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #6,386 of 10,535
Anyone knows where to buy the connectors at the headphone end of FOCAL UTOPIA?

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #6,387 of 10,535
NoisyNeighbour I ordered similar ones earlier and they were a little too tight in my opinion. The dimensions were the same as yours but I was worried they might scratch the paint on the headphones because the fit was so tight. The connectors move a little when you move your head so it rubs against the paint on the headphones.

The cable is looking nice, though!

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #6,389 of 10,535
Anyone knows where to buy the connectors at the headphone end of FOCAL UTOPIA?

https://www.alliedelec.com/lemo-fgg-0b-302-clad52z/R1039306/

I got a couple of pairs. Cable is ready to solder, but I had to go on travel to (shudder) Dallas. Hopefully I'll have this weekend to finish the cable.

Note, it took a few weeks from order time to receiving the connectors. Also, they are silver, not black.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #6,390 of 10,535
https://www.alliedelec.com/lemo-fgg-0b-302-clad52z/R1039306/

I got a couple of pairs. Cable is ready to solder, but I had to go on travel to (shudder) Dallas. Hopefully I'll have this weekend to finish the cable.

Note, it took a few weeks from order time to receiving the connectors. Also, they are silver, not black.

Thank you! Do you know how to wire them? A diagram?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back