DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 17, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #6,001 of 10,535
  Can anyone recommend a decent 2.5mm connector, preferably mono (for use with an Oppo PM-2) that has both solder lugs and an extension on the plug so that the barrel doesn't but up against the cup?

Want something like this with regards to the extended plug part:

BUT I want good solder lugs to solder to. I guess I could even try 2.5 TRS plugs and figure out which combination of wires would work. Still, want good lugs and plug extension. 

Ideas?

We have some available, black housing £7.99 and carbon housing £11.99 for a small order we can send this standard post so would be cheaper.

Soldering is a breeze on these.

If you like i can take some pictures when i get to workshop shortly.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #6,002 of 10,535

Can anyone recommend a decent 2.5mm connector, preferably mono (for use with an Oppo PM-2) that has both solder lugs and an extension on the plug so that the barrel doesn't but up against the cup?

Want something like this with regards to the extended plug part:

BUT I want good solder lugs to solder to. I guess I could even try 2.5 TRS plugs and figure out which combination of wires would work. Still, want good lugs and plug extension. 

Ideas?

We have some available, black housing £7.99 and carbon housing £11.99 for a small order we can send this standard post so would be cheaper.

Soldering is a breeze on these.

If you like i can take some pictures when i get to workshop shortly.

That looks interesting. What is the recommended way to solder a wire to the post to ensure the best connection?

Also, even with the weak pound, the pricing is still ~$10US + shipping. I may just have to accept the fact that 2.5mm plugs with lugs ain't cheap.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #6,003 of 10,535
That looks interesting. What is the recommended way to solder a wire to the post to ensure the best connection?

Also, even with the weak pound, the pricing is still ~$10US + shipping. I may just have to accept the fact that 2.5mm plugs with lugs ain't cheap.

Tin the post and wire and solder it directly on to the side of the post, been doing it for years, never have i had a solder joint fail.

Have you tried Aliexpress, likely be about $3 for a pair shipped. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #6,004 of 10,535

Tin the post and wire and solder it directly on to the side of the post, been doing it for years, never have i had a solder joint fail.

Have you tried Aliexpress, likely be about $3 for a pair shipped. 

Can you post or PM me a link? I cannot find these on aliexpress.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #6,006 of 10,535
Ok, found one for $3.71 that might work. No idea of the quality of the plug, though. I think I can assume "not high".

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pieces-2-5mm-Male-Headphone-Plug-Male-Stereo-Audio-Connector-For-Cable-Adapter/32580136003.html

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #6,007 of 10,535
Bought some microcord -smaller version of paracord- to sleeve some 22awg wires, just to discover this cord structure is different to paracord and doesn't fit for sleeving.

Any sugestions on what to use to sleeve cables of this diameter?

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #6,008 of 10,535
  Bought some microcord -smaller version of paracord- to sleeve some 22awg wires, just to discover this cord structure is different to paracord and doesn't fit for sleeving.

Any sugestions on what to use to sleeve cables of this diameter?

Type 1 paracord does a good job, look in Paracord Galaxy. I bought some micro paracord myself and it might be all right for wire without a jacket but it is very tiny. If you cannot find type 1 look for 250 paracord, it should be fine as well.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #6,009 of 10,535
Paracord comes in many different sizes. I've used 95 Type 1 to fit 22 and 24AWG. Nice and snug.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #6,010 of 10,535
Ok, found one for $3.71 that might work. No idea of the quality of the plug, though. I think I can assume "not high".

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pieces-2-5mm-Male-Headphone-Plug-Male-Stereo-Audio-Connector-For-Cable-Adapter/32580136003.html

Allan, are you working on a small project where say four connectors would be enough? I have some 2.5 mm mono's with solder lugs but they are nickel plated but highly reliable. I got them from a vendor who does not sell to the general public but I could help out if you like.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #6,011 of 10,535
Thanks @Paladin79  and 
@PinkyPowers.

Unfortunately, the colors I want -maroon and hunter green from Atwood Rope- aren't available in Type 1, so my options are to look for similar colors on Type 1 producers -hard because photos of the same color vary wildly among different stores- or see if the Atwood 1/16" cord is good for sleeving. Any help with any of those options will be really appreciated.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #6,012 of 10,535
Thanks @Paladin79
  and 
@PinkyPowers

Unfortunately, the colors I want -maroon and hunter green from Atwood Rope- aren't available in Type 1, so my options are to look for similar colors on Type 1 producers -hard because photos of the same color vary wildly among different stores- or see if the Atwood 1/16" cord is good for sleeving. Any help with any of those options will be really appreciated.

Amazon has an incredible selection of colors.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #6,014 of 10,535
That's a bummer.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #6,015 of 10,535
  I'm afraid that selection gets quite less incredible in Amazon Spain :frowning2:

It does get tricky trying to help folks in other parts of the world. Perhaps look on Ebay and find a Chinese source who ships all over the world? There is plenty of paracord there but prices vary and there is generally a 2-3 week wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back