DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #5,986 of 10,535
So here's a pic from DoubleHelix Cables

A little hard to tell. Does the shaft have a hole to fill with solder and the wire, or is it just a solid shaft? Assuming it's solid, what the best way to get a good connection?

This cheap ones that I posted (and have used), look like this one. Quite hard to get a good feeling connection. Also, 6.50 per pair from LunaShops or 5 pairs for $10 from eBay. Essentially the same plugs.

It's got a little dimple but not a hole for the wire. They were just fine for me the other one you have just suck I've tried them before and my soldering skills or equipment couldn't use them. The Eidolics are pricey but one touch and I was done. I always use a bit of flux just for insurance and tin a bit and it was a snap with the Eidolics the others it started to melt the spacers for me.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #5,989 of 10,535
  Can anyone recommend a decent 2.5mm connector, preferably mono (for use with an Oppo PM-2) that has both solder lugs and an extension on the plug so that the barrel doesn't but up against the cup?

Want something like this with regards to the extended plug part:

BUT I want good solder lugs to solder to. I guess I could even try 2.5 TRS plugs and figure out which combination of wires would work. Still, want good lugs and plug extension. 

Ideas?

I will look around work Monday and see what I can find you Allan. I have not seen many 2.5 mm with extensions but solder lugs should not be an issue. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #5,990 of 10,535
It's got a little dimple but not a hole for the wire. They were just fine for me the other one you have just suck I've tried them before and my soldering skills or equipment couldn't use them. The Eidolics are pricey but one touch and I was done. I always use a bit of flux just for insurance and tin a bit and it was a snap with the Eidolics the others it started to melt the spacers for me.

That little dimple is a solder cup and they work very well. As I have posted a few times I avoid the cylinder separated by plastic whenever possible (the type where the spacers melted).

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #5,991 of 10,535
Threw together this little adapter tonight.

Female 2.5mm TRRS to Male 4-pin XLR. 22AWG OCC SPC from Norne Audio.

By "threw together" I mean toiled and cursed and nearly gave up. The smaller they are, the more frustrating, I've found. :xf_eek:

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #5,993 of 10,535
Was wondering if some advice could be given to me for the construction of my IEM cable.

Should I have a total of 8 strands of wire soldered on the Jack, naturally 4 would go to the left and another 4 to the right.
Question is, whether the grounding (-) would be 2 out of the 4 cables on each side?
Or that I could use all 8 cables for L & R signals (+) and add in a thicker wire for grounding (-)?

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5,994 of 10,535
Was wondering if some advice could be given to me for the construction of my IEM cable.

Should I have a total of 8 strands of wire soldered on the Jack, naturally 4 would go to the left and another 4 to the right.
Question is, whether the grounding (-) would be 2 out of the 4 cables on each side?
Or that I could use all 8 cables for L & R signals (+) and add in a thicker wire for grounding (-)?

You can do it either way, the first way is 2x2 and 2x2 that would make it total of 8....the second way is 4x1 and 4x1 then additional thicker ground 1-1 would make it 10 in total. Whichever way you prefer, it wouldn't matter. The problem is that you figure out the size you are using to go with accordingly for the second way. Unless you are using single ended then it could be 9 wires as only 1 ground joined

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #5,995 of 10,535
You can do it either way, the first way is 2x2 and 2x2 that would make it total of 8....the second way is 4x1 and 4x1 then additional thicker ground 1-1 would make it 10 in total. Whichever way you prefer, it wouldn't matter. The problem is that you figure out the size you are using to go with accordingly for the second way. Unless you are using single ended then it could be 9 wires as only 1 ground joined

Thank you so much for this information!

Just another question...The 'thicker' grounding cable refers to either the ability to withstand same or more resistance of the (+) cables yea...?

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #5,996 of 10,535

You only need 4 conductors to build a working cable. 8 is only if you're trying to be fancy.

Unless we're talking about a JH Audio Siren Series cable. Those need 8 wires because of the bass-adjusting pots in the cable.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #5,998 of 10,535
Thank you so much for this information!

Just another question...The 'thicker' grounding cable refers to either the ability to withstand same or more resistance of the (+) cables yea...?

Wires has sizes, and in the US it is Gauge or (AWG) and else where is mm I believe. Basically, if your thicker grounding cables is the same size as the other 4-4, you are just fine.

Use this to figure it out. Normally they are printed on their body

http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator_ep_42.html

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #5,999 of 10,535
Right.. So normally 2 cables on the Left (+ & -) and another 2 on the right will do the job?

Correct. Nearly all IEMs (and full-size headphones) only have two connector pins per side. You cannot need more than two conductors.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #6,000 of 10,535
Correct. Nearly all IEMs (and full-size headphones) only have two connector pins per side. You cannot need more than two conductors.

This is going to save me from further cost! Thanks!

Wires has sizes, and in the US it is Gauge or (AWG) and else where is mm I believe. Basically, if your thicker grounding cables is the same size as the other 4-4, you are just fine.

Use this to figure it out. Normally they are printed on their body

http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator_ep_42.html

Thank you so much for this, something new for me! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back