DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,956 of 10,535
You can't take any pride in the thing if you don't braid it yourself.

It's not hard to learn at all. Just watch some YouTube videos on doing a 4 strand round braid.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #5,960 of 10,535
I don't see any Y splitters?

He can make most things if you reach out and ask about what you need.

You're unlikely to find a place that stocks what you're after. It'll have to be custom work.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #5,961 of 10,535
  This have probably been up before but...
I have bought me a pair of Philips Fidellio X2 and I´m thinking of making a new nice cable can anyone guide me to some places where I can buy Diy cables and connectors 3,5mm,thanks in advance.

Maybee a braided cable,who sells them?

The most simple thing would be a studio-grade microphone cable (something like Mogami W2791) and Neutrik 3,5mm plugs.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #5,962 of 10,535
Great job on the cable.  For those Eidolic housings, to get them to stay put, I believe you have to use a small amount of super glue; at least that's what I've done with those connector housing.  Also, gel super glue works best as it's easier to handle and doesn't create those annoying glue threads with regular super glue.

The Gorilla Glue Gel worked nicely. I've installed and removed the cable a few times now, and the barrel stays in place.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #5,964 of 10,535
Working on that CIEM cable got me motivated to fix this Sennheiser HD6xx cable I had made way back at the beginning of the year.

The Senn connectors deformed under the pressure of the helping hand clamps when the soldering iron warmed them up, and they would no longer fit into the ear-cups. I had ordered replacement connectors, but never got around to soldering them on.

Until now...

It's Silver-Plated Copper. I can't tell you what purity, because this wire is scavenged from another custom cable I received second hand. The original owner couldn't tell me any more about it.

This used to be covered in horrid, bright green paracord. Mini-XLR connectors, and 1/4" plug.

As you can see, it's a very different beast now.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #5,965 of 10,535
Working on that CIEM cable got me motivated to fix this Sennheiser HD6xx cable I had made way back at the beginning of the year.

The Senn connectors deformed under the pressure of the helping hand clamps when the soldering iron warmed them up, and they would no longer fit into the ear-cups. I had ordered replacement connectors, but never got around to soldering them on.

Until now...

It's Silver-Plated Copper. I can't tell you what purity, because this wire is scavenged from another custom cable I received second hand. The original owner couldn't tell me any more about it.

This used to be covered in horrid, bright green paracord. Mini-XLR connectors, and 1/4" plug.

As you can see, it's a very different beast now.

Very nice work. I especially like the clear head shrink tubing so you can still see the read and black connectors as well as the cable going into them.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #5,966 of 10,535
I'm making my current cable to the headphones I use at my computer. A Hifiman He-560 with a Modmic attatched to it. Currently the mic cable hangs beside my headphone cable and everything is a mess, so I'm thinking of including a mic cable in my braid, and putting a 2.5mm jack on the cable by the headphones so I can take the mic on and off when I want to. I looked at 5 strain braids but I can only find a flat one which is kind of boring. My conclusion is to do a round 4 strain braid and run the mic cable inside as a core, and do a three wire twist to the right ear and 2 wire twist to the left. I've tested it and the braid works ok.

My question is if anyone thinks it's a problem including the mic cable? Is it possible to get noise in either cable?

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,967 of 10,535
  I'm making my current cable to the headphones I use at my computer. A Hifiman He-560 with a Modmic attatched to it. Currently the mic cable hangs beside my headphone cable and everything is a mess, so I'm thinking of including a mic cable in my braid, and putting a 2.5mm jack on the cable by the headphones so I can take the mic on and off when I want to. I looked at 5 strain braids but I can only find a flat one which is kind of boring. My conclusion is to do a round 4 strain braid and run the mic cable inside as a core, and do a three wire twist to the right ear and 2 wire twist to the left. I've tested it and the braid works ok.

My question is if anyone thinks it's a problem including the mic cable? Is it possible to get noise in either cable

I believe you would be all right since the microphone cable should be fairly well shielded. You might be able to experiment by looping it around your existing cable but IMHO you would be fine.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #5,968 of 10,535
That's pretty much exactly what I did with my ModMic cable.  I used it as a core with 4 24ga wires around it.  I'd post a picture, but I ended up sleeving the whole thing in Techflex, so you can't really see it.  I get no interference through the headphones or the mic, and I've been using it for about 6 weeks now.  The only difference is that I left the mic intact rather than putting a 2.5mm connector inline.  When I remove the cable, I pull the ModMic off of the magnetic base and let the mic hang from the coil.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5,969 of 10,535
It is good to hear from someone who actually built it that way. I am well grounded in theory but it never hurts to have some real world info. Here is a pic of some silicone jacketed ofc wire I am trying out. I just built a cable for some Fostex t50RP's at this time. It might work for balanced cable but i would probably have to sleeve any splits I made to each channel. For four wire TRS it is light and flexible with great sound quality and very little if any microphonics. It holds a good tight braid and works well for this type of cable.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #5,970 of 10,535
It is good to hear from someone who actually built it that way. I am well grounded in theory but it never hurts to have some real world info. Here is a pic of some silicone jacketed ofc wire I am trying out. I just built a cable for some Fostex t50RP's at this time. It might work for balanced cable but i would probably have to sleeve any splits I made to each channel. For four wire TRS it is light and flexible with great sound quality and very little if any microphonics. It holds a good tight braid and works well for this type of cable.

Excellent ! What do you think of PE jacketed wires ? Will it be good and no microphonic ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back