DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 6, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #5,941 of 10,535

If you can't find 95, I do see Type 1 on that site (Paracord 100), which is what I've used in the past. IMO that's what you should get.

Edit I would use the Type 1 for 26 AWG Mogami, for 24AWG Mogami or Canare, I would probably go up one size just to avoid the possibility of it not fitting. (Though that would be 250/275, which I also don't see on that site...)

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #5,942 of 10,535
If you can't find 95, I do see Type 1 on that site (Paracord 100), which is what I've used in the past. IMO that's what you should get.

Edit I would use the Type 1 for 26 AWG Mogami, for 24AWG Mogami or Canare, I would probably go up one size just to avoid the possibility of it not fitting. (Though that would be 250/275, which I also don't see on that site...)

The type 1 I have purchased is more flexible than the 250 and similar in size. I like it but it can be harder to thread the wire into unless you get industrious and find a method to quickly install the wire.
wink_face.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #5,943 of 10,535
crap. In all haste I ordered the wrong cable. It is the one  http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2534.html which is AGW 24. If I read the data correctly it is 1.6mm in diameter. Exactly the same as Paracord 100 so that will be a too tight squeeze, or does the paracord expand when you push it together?

My option is Paracord 425, 3 mm diameter. https://www.paracord.eu/Paracord-Type-II
or
this Cotton/PET you mentioned. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231391753695?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=530652124610&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It has 4 mm option but it is adviced for use on cables 4-7 mm in diameter. Maybe it will be too loose?

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #5,944 of 10,535
There will be a bit of expansion, but honestly not a lot. Would be better to get something that is a bit bigger, or wire that is smaller (though if you've already ordered the wire then just go with bigger paracord).

You don't have to sleeve it, naturally; though that would depend on the amount you got (2534 has 2 blue wires and 2 clear-ish ones, I've seen some cool cables made with just the clear ones).

Or, send an email to Redco. Maybe they can swap out what you ordered for a smaller diameter. Worth a try.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #5,945 of 10,535
There will be a bit of expansion, but honestly not a lot. Would be better to get something that is a bit bigger, or wire that is smaller (though if you've already ordered the wire then just go with bigger paracord).

You don't have to sleeve it, naturally; though that would depend on the amount you got (2534 has 2 blue wires and 2 clear-ish ones, I've seen some cool cables made with just the clear ones).

Or, send an email to Redco. Maybe they can swap out what you ordered for a smaller diameter. Worth a try.

I was just on my way to send an email to them when I discovered my mistake, but saw that it has already shipped. Honestly, the paracord from this site is not that expensive since you can order bulk, so maybe I'll order both 100 and 425 and use the one that fits best. It's not a bad thing to have some extra paracord at home.

I know that sleeving is optional, but I think it looks nice. I ordered some extra cable, but it's noway near enough to be able to do just clear wire.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #5,946 of 10,535
  I was just on my way to send an email to them when I discovered my mistake, but saw that it has already shipped. Honestly, the paracord from this site is not that expensive since you can order bulk, so maybe I'll order both 100 and 425 and use the one that fits best. It's not a bad thing to have some extra paracord at home.

I know that sleeving is optional, but I think it looks nice. I ordered some extra cable, but it's noway near enough to be able to do just clear wire.

it can look nice and it is interesting to learn different braiding patterns.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #5,947 of 10,535
In the next few days I will try some high strand count oxygen free copper 24 awg wire with a silicone jacket and I will post the results. The wire is so soft and flexible that I will probably braid it without any fabric. Luckily it can be purchased in many colors so with a four wire braid, it should look fairly good. Little chance of microphonics and light weight.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #5,948 of 10,535
I used a MultiMeter to figure out the wiring on the Balanced Rhapsodio Pandora I own.

Here's a schematic for anyone interested.

And with that knowledge, I finished up my 2.5mm TRRS Silver-Plated Copper Litz CIEM cable.

This is that Non-Toxic SPC Litz I bought from Toxic Cables. It's quite supple and easy to use.

I'm having some trouble with these Eidolic 2-pin connectors. The housing is loose and pulls off WAY too easy. They've snapped in place, but it's a light snap. Am I supposed to push harder? Is there a second snap?

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #5,949 of 10,535
I used a MultiMeter to figure out the wiring on the Balanced Rhapsodio Pandora I own.

Here's a schematic for anyone interested.

And with that knowledge, I finished up my 2.5mm TRRS Silver-Plated Copper Litz CIEM cable.

This is that Non-Toxic SPC Litz I bought from Toxic Cables. It's quite supple and easy to use.

I'm having some trouble with these Eidolic 2-pin connectors. The housing is loose and pulls off WAY too easy. They've snapped in place, but it's a light snap. Am I supposed to push harder? Is there a second snap?
The cable looks pretty sweet. Have you got them to work? Try pushing harder.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #5,950 of 10,535
I'm having no luck pushing them down harder.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #5,951 of 10,535
Great job on the cable.  For those Eidolic housings, to get them to stay put, I believe you have to use a small amount of super glue; at least that's what I've done with those connector housing.  Also, gel super glue works best as it's easier to handle and doesn't create those annoying glue threads with regular super glue.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #5,952 of 10,535
Great job on the cable.  For those Eidolic housings, to get them to stay put, I believe you have to use a small amount of super glue; at least that's what I've done with those connector housing.  Also, gel super glue works best as it's easier to handle and doesn't create those annoying glue threads with regular super glue.

Thanks for the advice.

Will that hold when you pull them out of the CIEMs?

Any recommended glue for super-strength?

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #5,953 of 10,535
Yes.  The hold is permanent.  I use the Gorilla Super Glue Gel. Use only a little and apply it with a sharp pointed tooth-pick.  Once I got the wire leads soldered on, I apply a little gel glue around the black pin housing near the top around its circumference and when you slide the barrel down, it spreads out the glue. 

When I first used the Eidolic pin connectors, I thought it snapped securely in place and voila, but the secret is glue.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #5,954 of 10,535
Thanks. I will try that.

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #5,955 of 10,535
This have probably been up before but...
I have bought me a pair of Philips Fidellio X2 and I´m thinking of making a new nice cable can anyone guide me to some places where I can buy Diy cables and connectors 3,5mm,thanks in advance.

Maybee a braided cable,who sells them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back