DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 19, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #5,221 of 10,535
Hey there guys n´ gals :-D

I am planning to make my first DIY cable in the near future, and need some advice.

I will start with a rather "easy" one, a pair of RCA interconnects.

First, the Parts i want to use:

Connectors: http://www.furutech.com/2013/01/26/1037/

Wires:           Mogami 2806  (hard to get in Austria) http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/console/
   Alternative:  http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Mikrofonkabel-Club-Series-MKII-200-0051.html

I will use only the inner strands of both wires, i plan to do either 6 or 8-wire braid.

And now for the questions :)

If i use a braided cable, how many of the conductors will be used as signal and how many as ground?
For Headphone cables i have read to use the same amount for signal and ground, does this also apply here?

Will there be mayor problems with EMI due to the lack of a shield?
The cables will be roughly 30cm in length, just fyi.

Next about sleeving, i know that if i want to sleeve the whole cable i can use paracord 550, techflex nylon, shoelaces etc.
I think i can handle how to use them, will be try and error, but not much unknown stuff i hope.

What is more of a mystery is how to sleeve the individual conductors before braiding.
All i found that might fit is Paracord 100 (~1,7mm dia) or 90 (~1,2mm dia), depending on size of the conductors.
The Sommer has 1,5mm dia, so it should fit the para 100, but the Mogami has 1,9mm dia, and the next bigger paracord is 3mm dia.
Any suggestions on what could be used (besides a smaller cunductor, duh :p )

And, how the hell am i supposed to get the single wires through the paracord?
Both are very flexible i imagine, any tips/tricks on how to do this?

And if you have any other information that comes with experience please feel free to add, i guess i will need every help i can get :-D

May 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5,222 of 10,535
Lesson Learned:

I made some RCA interconnects and I screwed up, but didn't know it!  After I soldered I checked continuity between R+/R+ and R-/R- and R+/R-, and the same on the left side. All was good.  

When I used the cable, there was a significant channel imbalance. I then checked resistance with the multi-meter between R+/R- and found the resistance was't zero! It was fine on the left side. I reflowed the joints and had the same issue. I then desoldered, re-striped the wires and re-soldered. All is well now. I now know to check for resistance as well as continuity. 

Hope this helps others. 

May 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #5,223 of 10,535
allanmarcus good tip, except I don't know how to check resistance using my multimeter, only continuity :p

May 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #5,224 of 10,535
Lesson Learned:

I made some RCA interconnects and I screwed up, but didn't know it!  After I soldered I checked continuity between R+/R+ and R-/R- and R+/R-, and the same on the left side. All was good.  

When I used the cable, there was a significant channel imbalance. I then checked resistance with the multi-meter between R+/R- and found the resistance was't zero! It was fine on the left side. I reflowed the joints and had the same issue. I then desoldered, re-striped the wires and re-soldered. All is well now. I now know to check for resistance as well as continuity. 

Hope this helps others. 

Thanks for the info.
Could it be that on one cable the conductor had direct contact with the plug and on the other the connection was solely through the solder itself, thus having different resistance?
Just some sleepy thoughts while on commute at 5am :p

May 20, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #5,225 of 10,535
allanmarcus good tip, except I don't know how to check resistance using my multimeter, only continuity :p

Just switch the multi meter to ohm (the symbol that looks like a horseshoe facing down). Any reading other than 0 is not good between two wires that should not be touching.

May 20, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #5,226 of 10,535
Lesson Learned:

Hope this helps others. 

Thanks for the info.
Could it be that on one cable the conductor had direct contact with the plug and on the other the connection was solely through the solder itself, thus having different resistance?
Just some sleepy thoughts while on commute at 5am :p

I couldn't see anything touching, so I'm not sure what was happening.

May 22, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #5,234 of 10,535
This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRC2XU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000AS28UC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1D453A0MK8ERTMRWPTW6

May 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #5,235 of 10,535
If you're looking to invest in a good soldering iron, I would get the Hakko FX888D. It's about $100 and is great. Heats up extremely quickly (under 30 seconds normally) and has a nice cable on the soldering iron which is extremely nice. 
It's what I use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back