DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 21, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #4,891 of 10,535
I just finished my cable.

I feel like it came out great.

If you guys are making cables for Mrspeaker cans becareful of the tiny pins on the HR10A-7P-4P connectors.

I found viablue connectors for around $12 and splitters for around $9.99 not bad. They're US sellers too.

Edit pics:
1W2Tkq6.jpg

QYBSVLc.jpg

Super sweet. Yes I have Alpha Dogs and Ether C's and the connectors are small and a bit of a pain .

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4,892 of 10,535
I just finished my cable.

I feel like it came out great.

If you guys are making cables for Mrspeaker cans becareful of the tiny pins on the HR10A-7P-4P connectors.

I found viablue connectors for around $12 and splitters for around $9.99 not bad. They're US sellers too.

Edit pics:
1W2Tkq6.jpg

QYBSVLc.jpg

It's an odd combo, but that color scheme is badass!

Super sweet. Yes I have Alpha Dogs and Ether C's and the connectors are small and a bit of a pain .

Bukey boy, just wait until you make a cable for the iBasso PB2 with their 6-pin Hirose connectors. It's essentially the same design as the Ether and Alpha connectors but there are 6 pins instead of 4.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #4,893 of 10,535
  It's an odd combo, but that color scheme is badass!

Bukey boy, just wait until you make a cable for the iBasso PB2 with their 6-pin Hirose connectors. It's essentially the same design as the Ether and Alpha connectors but there are 6 pins instead of 4.

No thanks I have hard enough time seeing the 4 pin. Old eyes geeting worse by the day.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #4,894 of 10,535
Come on Head-fi. Any experience with this?

Another question: whats the best way to skim the ashen debris from the surface of you solder pot?

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #4,895 of 10,535
  No thanks I have hard enough time seeing the 4 pin. Old eyes geeting worse by the day.

I resemble that remark. I got a lighted magnifier to use when soldering these small parts.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4,897 of 10,535
Feb 24, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #4,898 of 10,535
Joining the club!

Guys I just DIY my first cable!
It's for the HiFiman HE-400i with mogami neglex quad, neutrick 3,5mm jack, 2.5mm jack bought from aliexpress, viablue shrinking tube, loose paracord Type III sleeve.
I'm kind of proud! ok, nothing compared to some works of you guys, but still... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #4,899 of 10,535
  Joining the club!

Guys I just DIY my first cable!
It's for the HiFiman HE-400i with mogami neglex quad, neutrick 3,5mm jack, 2.5mm jack bought from aliexpress, viablue shrinking tube, loose paracord Type III sleeve.
I'm kind of proud! ok, nothing compared to some works of you guys, but still... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't put yourself down at all nice set of cables.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #4,901 of 10,535
Hmm can you explain briefly why not? Sorry I'm still new to this. Am planning on making a hybrid after hearing what a pure silver cable(diy) sounded. Its darn good!!
Thanks in advance :)

Generally because they would provide different loads in terms of resistance and impedance, and different amount of current would pass through each. This isn't a huge issue with low current applications like headphones but the simple electrical maths behind it becomes much more complex when you start combining different wire it resistor sizes.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #4,902 of 10,535
What's the best way to mend exposed patches of wire along the length of the cable? I'm looking for a neat, low-profile solution. My father suggested liquid tape. That sounds like it might work nicely. What say you?

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #4,903 of 10,535
What's the best way to mend exposed patches of wire along the length of the cable? I'm looking for a neat, low-profile solution. My father suggested liquid tape. That sounds like it might work nicely. What say you?

I think you can get it in the States - Sugru

https://sugru.com/buy/

That liquid tape stuff sounds pretty nasty stuff in comparison

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,904 of 10,535
repost x4
Reposting this here from a lot of threads:
Figured I'd ask here.
I gotta recable my Grado SR325i, never done this before, but I did desolder one cup.|
Here's a list of what I plan to get:
Mogami W2534 7 ft
Rean Neutrik NYS228G

What else do I need? Heat shrink, right? I have a soldering iron and stuff.
Also when it comes to the y-point do I strip the tubes and just combine the wires?
Never done this before, so I'm a bit unsure of how to go about doing this.
Thanks!

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #4,905 of 10,535
  repost x4
Reposting this here from a lot of threads:
Figured I'd ask here.
I gotta recable my Grado SR325i, never done this before, but I did desolder one cup.|
Here's a list of what I plan to get:
Mogami W2534 7 ft
Rean Neutrik NYS228G

What else do I need? Heat shrink, right? I have a soldering iron and stuff.
Also when it comes to the y-point do I strip the tubes and just combine the wires?
Never done this before, so I'm a bit unsure of how to go about doing this.
Thanks!

Can you open up the cups and remove the old cable and resolder new stuff? I did that for an older pair of AKGs and my Fostex TH-X00...wasnt too bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back