DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4,636 of 10,535
So I am pretty new to making my own custom cables. One issue that I have been having is getting Paracord to be contained in the ends where the barrels are. What are some good tips for this process? Thank you in advance for any help and info.

I would say spam hot glue. Hot glue is extremely versatile. You just need to apply it first then use a hair dryer to melt it again and smooth it out

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #4,637 of 10,535
So I am pretty new to making my own custom cables. One issue that I have been having is getting Paracord to be contained in the ends where the barrels are. What are some good tips for this process? Thank you in advance for any help and info.

I would say spam hot glue. Hot glue is extremely versatile. You just need to apply it first then use a hair dryer to melt it again and smooth it out

This, or a small bit of heatshrink.

I have some custom barrels on some of my cables, so it's a bit easier (since they're a bit longer), but I am able to get some heatshrink in there and have it not be visible.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #4,638 of 10,535

I use heat shrink on the ends and you can also heat shrink over the end of the connector and the paracord holding it all together.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4,639 of 10,535
Any tips on feeding the cable through a cover like paracord?

Tried W2799 through 550 Paracord. It was not fun, but i have a feeling if I could get it through it would be a brilliant combo

-Jonathan

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,640 of 10,535

Tried W2799 through 550 Paracord. It was not fun, but i have a feeling if I could get it through it would be a brilliant combo

-Jonathan

I do the inch worm method.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #4,641 of 10,535

-Jonathan

Strip the outer rubber jacket off (so you're left with the 4 26awg inner cores). Those inner cores will fit easily in 275 paracord, or even 95 with the inchworm method.

The 4 cores twisted together (minus the outer rubber jacket) of W2799 might fit through 550, but it would be tight. Easier to thread them through separately and braid.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #4,642 of 10,535
I've gotten w2799 through 550 paracord, jacket and all. I put elmers glue on the end and let it dry to smooth it out so it won't snag inside the paracord. Then just inch worm it through. The glue trick also works well for individual wired through 275 paracord

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #4,643 of 10,535
I've gotten w2799 through 550 paracord, jacket and all. I put elmers glue on the end and let it dry to smooth it out so it won't snag inside the paracord. Then just inch worm it through. The glue trick also works well for individual wired through 275 paracord

Yeah, I think I'll try that. I got it about half way before it snagged, the edge poked right through. I think that's the biggest problem is snagging.

Not like I have 60 feet of 550 heh

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,644 of 10,535
I need a custom cable... Of course. why else would I be here. 
This is what I need: 3.5mm trs to 2x 3.5mm ts, unbalanced. 

I can get a place like Blue Jeans Cables to custom make this for me, but there is a catch. I need VERY skinny 3.5mm TS terminations. 

I want to make/buy a 3.5mm TRS to and Left and Right Channel for the V-moda M-100. But the M-100 take a VERY VERY skinny 3.5mm termination.

I don't mind learning how to DIY just to make this cable, but does anyone sell a skinny termination for DIY purposes?

Just for comparison here are 3x 3.5mm terminations. Even the middle one is WAY too fat to fit. The left one is the v-moda cable. I can shave the middle one down, for example, but most DIY terminations are metal are they not? (and I know these are TRS, I need TS, but just putting the pic up to show what size I need) 

Please don't ask why? Does why really matter in this hobby? I just want to because I can! Any help you guys can provide would be great.  

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4,645 of 10,535
I want to make/buy a 3.5mm TRS to and Left and Right Channel for the V-moda M-100. But the M-100 take a VERY VERY skinny 3.5mm termination.

I don't mind learning how to DIY just to make this cable, but does anyone sell a skinny termination for DIY purposes?

I recommended this to someone who has the M-80 and they said it worked. Don't know about the M-100. 

http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-KS3PC-Extended-Collar.html

You might want to give them a try?

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #4,646 of 10,535
I don't have the phones to test but Eidolic makes a 3.5 with a shank on it to get it past most portable cases that might work. As I was writing this FrozenPanda gave you another option. It is not as long as the Eidolic but much cheaper. Here is a pic of the Eidolic.

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #4,647 of 10,535
So I bought a pair of Audeze LCD 2.2 w/fazor from the Classifieds. And I'm in the process of securing a fully balanced DAC/Amp (NFB-28).

How many conductors do I need to make a balanced cable with those mini-XLR jacks? I don't need four per-channel, right? I can do two per-channel, yes? If so, how do you solder them. Don't they have four pins each?

Also, what gauge wire should I consider for planar magnetic cans like these?

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #4,648 of 10,535
  I don't have the phones to test but Eidolic makes a 3.5 with a shank on it to get it past most portable cases that might work. As I was writing this FrozenPanda gave you another option. It is not as long as the Eidolic but much cheaper. Here is a pic of the Eidolic.

That is one gorgeous connector! I would probably recommend trying their new 3.5GT1

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Beyerdynamic-T1-Gen-2-Eidolic-3-5mm-diy-connector

Seems like that has the longest shank. :wink:

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #4,649 of 10,535
thanks for the suggestions. 
I am a total noob here. So excuse the ignorance. I just just Left and right change but these are Stereo terminations that you guys linked to me. 
I can simple wire them up as mono L and mono R correct? 

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #4,650 of 10,535
Ahhhh. Can I am on the right track. Can you identify the 3.5 mono inputs going into the these M100? 
The stereo is Oyaide. That is easy to find. but the TINY 3.5 mm mono?! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back