DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 26, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,471 of 10,535
With regards to reusing the mrspeakets connections, were do you get replacement crimps? I found the crimps in the connector really not reusable.

I don't use the crimps I usually just hot glue the wires in the connectors as I'm not real rough on them . I'm not cutting up an Mr. Speakers cable just one I made. I think I have some crimps at home ( visiting family for Thanksgiving) when I get back home I'll see if I can find them. I bought two pair of connectors so I could have some if you need them ?

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4,472 of 10,535
Can anyone kindly share wiring diagram or instruction for Ether SN8-4 connector please. Appreciate if you can also share picture of the soldering points for me to have an idea how difficult it potentially is. I have fair experience building LCD cable using mini XLR, so now I'm considering building Ether cable too. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #4,473 of 10,535
I
Can anyone kindly share wiring diagram or instruction for Ether SN8-4 connector please. Appreciate if you can also share picture of the soldering points for me to have an idea how difficult it potentially is. I have fair experience building LCD cable using mini XLR, so now I'm considering building Ether cable too. Thanks!

I'm at work, so I can't supply a picture, but Pin 1 is the positive and Pin 2 is the negative for both the left and the right connectors. The pins are numbered on the inside of the connector next to the soldering points.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #4,474 of 10,535
Thanks PETEREK.

So pins 3 and 4 are not used? No shorting required (as in the case of LCD mini XLR)?

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #4,475 of 10,535
Thanks PETEREK.

So pins 3 and 4 are not used? No shorting required (as in the case of LCD mini XLR)?

Nope, those aren't used. They use those pins when they're used for the single entry Mad Dog Pro, in the dual entry headphones Mrspeakers makes they only use 1 & 2.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #4,476 of 10,535

Also, there is a PDF you can find on the web from the maker of the connector that shows how to put he whole thing together. Just google the part number. The diagram is near the end of the PDF.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #4,477 of 10,535
Thanks PETEREK.

Alllanmarcus - thanks too. Found it!

Link here if anyone else may be interested:
http://www.isamwoo.com/images/sn.pdf

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4,478 of 10,535
New connect made to run from the QP1R to the AVR or Liquid Carbon (if it ever comes). WBT locking rca's and Double Helix 1/8" with 24 awg silver plate occ copper and 22 awg occ copper wire. Sounds really good out of the QP1R. 

Finally the parts are in for the balanced cable for the HE-400S.

Now time to get to work on them and mobile cable for the Ether-C's.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,479 of 10,535
Made my first headphone interconnect. Been soldering since I was about 14, but you can't tell here. First time dealing with 4% silver solder, pain in the butt!
Also, what is up with the sleeve solder area on Neutrik 1/4" TRS male plugs? There is no place to secure the wire. After trying for about an hour only to have the wire come off, I drilled 5/64" holes in the thing, divided the shield up, tinned and threaded through the holes. What a pain!

Anyway, here they are bad soldering and all. Oh, I like orange, go VOLS!

I'll be using this with and Ether C which SWMBO ordered for me for Christmas, figured I'd better get off my duff and get this ready.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,480 of 10,535
  Made my first headphone interconnect. Been soldering since I was about 14, but you can't tell here. First time dealing with 4% silver solder, pain in the butt!
Also, what is up with the sleeve solder area on Neutrik 1/4" TRS male plugs? There is no place to secure the wire. After trying for about an hour only to have the wire come off, I drilled 5/64" holes in the thing, divided the shield up, tinned and threaded through the holes. What a pain!

I'll be using this with and Ether C which SWMBO ordered for me for Christmas, figured I'd better get off my duff and get this ready.

Doesn't look bad to me. I like blue as in Big Blue. The Spring meet in Nashville will be full of Ether-C's.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4,481 of 10,535
He-400S cable braided .

Got to take a break. Can't decide if I want to put a wood splitter on this one or not. Going to put the 4 pin XLR on and then decide. Now time to quit for the night.

Went ahead and attached the XLR connector.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #4,482 of 10,535

My exact sentiment from yesterday trying to make a pigtail adapter just like yours.  Gotta have a really hot solder gun to burn through the thick metal sleeve solder area, so I am reattempting this coming weekend with a fatter tip to try to finish off from where I let off yesterday!

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4,483 of 10,535
Hello Everyone..

I havn't made a lot of posts in here.. But I really need some help now, since my project by recabling my Beyerdynamic DT770 is about to die.. And I won't let that happen!

Just to make it a lot more difficult before I start.. I live in Denmark, so shipping cost and taxes are sometimes very high!

But to get started, I need to re-cable my Beyerdynamic DT770, but I don't need it to be a regular cable to be replaced with.. I need something like this:

- 4 Conductors
- Transparent Isolation
- OCC copper
- 24 AWG

Just to clarify it with a picture..

But now comes the hard part.. I have to find a proper cable! Which actually are a pain in the ass, because I don't want to pay too much..

My first option was a Mogami 2534 cable, because it comes with 4 conductors, 2 transparent, 2 blue.. Which i perfect, because it's a cheap cable to buy..
But it was sold out everywhere.. (Found it on ebay, but the shipping cost was too much!)

Then someone told me to look at this one: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2

Seems great, and the price isn't that high.. I need 5 to 10 meters in total.
But they ship from USA, so the shipping cost AND taxes are ridicules high..

So here's my question... Where can I find a proper cable to buy, when living in Denmark?

Best Regards
Gerner

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,484 of 10,535
Hello Everyone..

I havn't made a lot of posts in here.. But I really need some help now, since my project by recabling my Beyerdynamic DT770 is about to die.. And I won't let that happen!

Just to make it a lot more difficult before I start.. I live in Denmark, so shipping cost and taxes are sometimes very high!

But to get started, I need to re-cable my Beyerdynamic DT770, but I don't need it to be a regular cable to be replaced with.. I need something like this:

- 4 Conductors
- Transparent Isolation
- OCC copper
- 24 AWG

Just to clarify it with a picture..

But now comes the hard part.. I have to find a proper cable! Which actually are a pain in the ass, because I don't want to pay too much..

My first option was a Mogami 2534 cable, because it comes with 4 conductors, 2 transparent, 2 blue.. Which i perfect, because it's a cheap cable to buy..
But it was sold out everywhere.. (Found it on ebay, but the shipping cost was too much!)

Then someone told me to look at this one: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2

Seems great, and the price isn't that high.. I need 5 to 10 meters in total.
But they ship from USA, so the shipping cost AND taxes are ridicules high..

So here's my question... Where can I find a proper cable to buy, when living in Denmark?

Best Regards

Gerner

Hey there Gerner.

Since i want to build a 4pin XLR extension cable i was also searching for a reasonably priced good quality 4 conductor cable, and i found those:

http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Mikrofonkabel-SC-Square-4-Core-MKII-200-0301-highflex.html

I get them here in austria for the 2,87€ / meter mentioned on the homepage.
If you find a dealer for sommer cables in denmark this might be an option.

Hope that helps.
Greetings, Mario

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4,485 of 10,535
Hey there Gerner.

Since i want to build a 4pin XLR extension cable i was also searching for a reasonably priced good quality 4 conductor cable, and i found those:

http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Mikrofonkabel-SC-Square-4-Core-MKII-200-0301-highflex.html

I get them here in austria for the 2,87€ / meter mentioned on the homepage.
If you find a dealer for sommer cables in denmark this might be an option.

Hope that helps.
Greetings, Mario

We do actually have a pretty solid dealer, in Germany though, but they have tons of Sommer Cables, and they sell them for a reasonably price too!
http://www.thomann.de/dk/sommer_cable_square_4core_mkii_highflex.htm
But I really dislike the colors of the isolation.. I'm going to remove the black shielding.

It could use paracord though, but if I can find a good cable with transparent isolation, it would be a blessing!

But thanks a lot for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back