DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 10, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,216 of 10,535
This might help

http://www.head-fi.org/t/294279/4-wire-litz-braid-round#post_3775401

Or, for 8 wires

http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/8strand1.htm

3 is easy. Pass each side, left and right, over the center (making it the new center). Alternate left and right each time.

thanks, will take a look at that.  Too bad the pictures are gone in one of the links from that thread

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #4,218 of 10,535
The way I do 4 wires is to pair them up top/bottom and left/right.  Then you just swap top bottom then swap left right, repeat.  The real trick is to make sure you always swap them the same way, so top always goes to the right of bottom and right always goes to the top of left.

EDIT - Just go to youtube and look up a how-to for a round braid.  It's pretty simple.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #4,219 of 10,535

While I think it's great that you want to make your own cable, I might also suggest you try what I did:  just braid your existing cable.  

Your braiding-fu is strong, sensei 
ph34r.gif
  I could never get those single strand braids to look that nice.  I gave up, bought a DMM, soldering station, and made me some proper cables 
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #4,221 of 10,535
I'm starting to get ready to to a detachable cable and mic mod for my DT770 Pro 250. I was looking for some sort of wiring diagram on how to do this. I found these Lemo connectors online. I going to try and copy Tommyboy's mod here in the pics. Can someone please help me. This will be my 1st headphone mod but I'm a HVAC tech and this seams not so hard to do compared to my day to day. If anyone could help with anything that would be amazing.

This is my nice Lemo push pull mod and I would like to sell it btw. Its made by Tommyboy.

IMG_0265.JPG

So far I found these for the mod:

Wire: (Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad Microphone Cable)
Connector: (Lemo 4 Pin Connector)

Looking for:
Braided sleeve "red and black" and what size.
Heat shrink and what size.
What type of 3.5mm Male TRS/TRRS are those?
A cool looking 1/4 Male TRS.
Any resources, links, and some sort of wiring diagram would be huge.
What else would I need, or what have I gotten wrong?

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #4,222 of 10,535
Hi does anyone know to wire an ER4 cable with resistance? I want to make an 100ohm cables so my ER4 becomes an S version but idk what kind of resistors to use and how to wire them. Any advice on this? 

I've been looking into how to do this recently too, so more information on this would be sweet.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #4,223 of 10,535
Hi everybody !

It's been some years that i want to recable my AKG K518 but i'm afraid to do it because i don't know what to buy and how to do this ! But there in one thing i know : The result.
I want something that look like this:

It's a braided Y-cable obviously. Is there a step to step guide to do this kind of cable please? I really need some advices
or maybe if you know someone who sells that kind of cable in Europe ?

Ath the moment here is the crappy cable of my AKG K518:

I will fight until death to replace this cable !

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #4,224 of 10,535
Looks like some sort of quad cable (Mogami, Canare, or something similar) with the outer jacker stripped off, then sleeved in a techflex or paracord. The Y-Split is just the 4 wires separated into 2 pairs, probably twisted together.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #4,225 of 10,535
Looks like some sort of quad cable (Mogami, Canare, or something similar) with the outer jacker stripped off, then sleeved in a techflex or paracord. The Y-Split is just the 4 wires separated into 2 pairs, probably twisted together.

I think you are right ! i found a description of his work:

- Canare L-4E5C cable
- minijack plug straight Neutrik

For the Y-split i didn't find a tutorial :/

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4,230 of 10,535
  I'm starting to get ready to to a detachable cable and mic mod for my DT770 Pro 250. I was looking for some sort of wiring diagram on how to do this. I found these Lemo connectors online. I going to try and copy Tommyboy's mod here in the pics. Can someone please help me. This will be my 1st headphone mod but I'm a HVAC tech and this seams not so hard to do compared to my day to day. If anyone could help with anything that would be amazing.

So far I found these for the mod:

Wire: (Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad Microphone Cable)
Connector: (Lemo 4 Pin Connector)

Looking for:
Braided sleeve "red and black" and what size.
Heat shrink and what size.
What type of 3.5mm Male TRS/TRRS are those?
A cool looking 1/4 Male TRS.
Any resources, links, and some sort of wiring diagram would be huge.
What else would I need, or what have I gotten wrong?

Are these the same type of headphones you are doing? If so try to contact that person for wiring diagram. Really you don't need a diagram as you have to crack open the cans. The picture is too small to identify the connectors for me. It would be nice to know what you are hooking this up to to figure out what it is that you need. I just can't wrap my head around the adapters other than it has a 3.5mm trrs male on the male cable and a female 3.5mm trrs to two 3.5mm trs on the output . Then that sounds fine but what is the need for a 1/4 in trs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back