DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,841 of 10,535

Been lurking for a good while trying to find ideas for what to use to re cable my Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset. Not a lot of folks share headset re-cable. Thanks to this forum I worked up the courage to do it. Got tired of having to fix a $400 headset..... I have a good bit of experience soldering, I use a JBC CD-B station. I guess it was taking the plunge to purchase the Mogami 2534, removing the sheathing and re sleeve it with para-cord. I used #95 para-cord. 6 strand round braid and a couple of radio shack TRS connectors. If you were like me and a bit worried about doing it to a headset, have no fear. I see that the gallery is now locked :frowning2:, so I figured I would share it on here to help someone else that may be looking for the same information. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

Gangstar Alert! Gunz & Headphonez!

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #3,844 of 10,535
cddz nice job.

Pretty bummed about the gallery thread as well. Wish they would just take care of those breaking the rules instead of locking the whole thread on everyone. Oh well.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3,845 of 10,535
  Many people want to know how to do this the fastest, so here is a video showing how to strip the wires out of the Mogami w2799 jacket and sleeve (4 feet) in a minute and a half (or less).

Nice job cCasper! Very efficient way to do it. Now's the time to make the video on how to sleeve them as fast as you stripped them :p

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,848 of 10,535
Maybe I'm one of those weird guys where if I have starquad/shielded/whatever wire, I'll just leave it that way. If I want individual wires for braiding, then I'll use individual wires. I'm a heretic, I know
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #3,849 of 10,535
  Maybe I'm one of those weird guys where if I have starquad/shielded/whatever wire, I'll just leave it that way. If I want individual wires for braiding, then I'll use individual wires. I'm a heretic, I know
tongue.gif

I use to do that, but I never have issues with microphonics or anything so there is no benefit for me leaving it there. Without it the cable becomes more flexible and thinner, and I like that. It does make you take one additional step, but my way of removing it hardly takes any time at all, especially if I don't have a camera between my face and the job.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,851 of 10,535
i think its a good way
to
get some good wire
on the cheap

"jam econo on the copp(er)"

+1 As far as I can tell, this is the main reason to do it that way.

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #3,852 of 10,535
I am interested to make a DIY cable with eco wire such as Mogami W2799 for my HE-6 and other phones
http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2799.html

And I do plan to remove the sleeve like the above demo.  However, the individual wire color does not look nice.  I like the stock HE-6 copper cable with clear insulator.  Is there any good economic copper wire like that for DIYer?

Something like this?

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #3,853 of 10,535
  I am interested to make a DIY cable with eco wire such as Mogami W2799 for my HE-6 and other phones

And I do plan to remove the sleeve like the above demo.  However, the individual wire color does not look nice.  I like the stock HE-6 copper cable with clear insulator.  Is there any good economic copper wire like that for DIYer?

Something like this?

Couple of options I can think of:

Buy 4x the amount of the 2799 and use only the clear strand

Use only the clear strands from Mogami 2534 (quad cable, 2 clear and 2 blue, thicker and stiffer than the 2799/2893)

Use cheap speaker cable from Home Depot or similar

Pay the premium for something from DHC (nucleotide is $2/ft single strand)

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #3,854 of 10,535

Something like this?

Paracord is your friend
smily_headphones1.gif
  If you can make a cable (i.e., soldering), you can sleeve and braid it first.  95 or 275 (for a slightly looser feel) will do it, and there is an insane selection from which to choose (I like Paracord Planet).  For colors and patterns you're pretty much just limited by your imagination.

+1 on the W2799 from Redco.  Good, cheap stuff!  You can get plugs and heat shrink (black and red, at least) there, too.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3,855 of 10,535
Thanks for all the ideas.  DHC does not sounds too bad and it is in OK. (Oop, Peter probably moved to TX now).   But I have been their website trying find bare DIY wire and found none.  Links will be appreciated.

And paracord idea is good for hiding my ugly braid.  :)   I like the neat looking of a good braid if I can do it.  

As for plugs at Redco.  Do they have good 4-pin XLR Neutrik connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back