DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #3,826 of 10,535
Anyone have any experience getting phone controls (play/pause/resume) and a microphone on a DIY cable?

As I mostly use my Android phone as a source, I really would like to have these in-line controls. I plan to upgrade to a Sony Walkman DAP somewhere down the line to maintain the same cord control functionality. Any help?

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #3,827 of 10,535
  Anyone have any experience getting phone controls (play/pause/resume) and a microphone on a DIY cable?

As I mostly use my Android phone as a source, I really would like to have these in-line controls. I plan to upgrade to a Sony Walkman DAP somewhere down the line to maintain the same cord control functionality. Any help?

A single button remote is just a momentary switch shorting out between mic & ground.

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3,829 of 10,535
Hello head-fi community,
beerchug.gif

I need to recable my AKG K518DJ . I did some searches on the internet and i found this awesome work :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/16/1429110843-1429010132-wtbi1ii.jpg

Is it possible to find someone who make this cable ready to solder and shipping in Europe please ?

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/16/1429110844-post-30591-0-67821200-1406141437.jpg

I would appreciate your help, thank you.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,830 of 10,535
Hi got a blue Cardas cable for a Senns HD800 HP that i want to solder a 4pin xlr connector to, got a black ,green red and white wire +shield where would they go on connector Thank you .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,831 of 10,535
Pin 1 - L+
Pin 2 - L-
Pin 3 - R+
Pin 4 - R-

Ground goes to the little tab on the body of the XLR on the top of your photo.  I have heard it's not necessary to connect ground on these cables tho.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #3,832 of 10,535
  Pin 1 - L+
Pin 2 - L-
Pin 3 - R+
Pin 4 - R-

Ground goes to the little tab on the body of the XLR on the top of your photo.  I have heard it's not necessary to connect ground on these cables tho.

Where would the black and white go ? Thanks                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #3,833 of 10,535
Sorry, I have no idea how those cables are pinned out.  You might want to use a multimeter to test them through and see which is which.

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,834 of 10,535
Soldering a 4 pin xlr connector on a Cardas blue HP 4x24  cable for SENNS HD800 and just noticed something when i was trying to tin wire ,solder has a hardtime sticking to the wire, i tin a regular piece of wire no problem tinning wire why is that . Do i need a special type solder for this cable. This is what i use .roll on the left   1/16 . Thanks

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,835 of 10,535
  Soldering a 4 pin xlr connector on a Cardas blue HP 4x24  cable for SENNS HD800 and just noticed something when i was trying to tin wire ,solder has a hardtime sticking to the wire, i tin a regular piece of wire no problem tinning wire why is that . Do i need a special type solder for this cable. This is what i use .roll on the left   1/16 . Thanks

The wire is most likely a type 2 litz wire...meaning that every single individual strand has an enamel coating on it. There are a couple of ways to burn off the enamel.  You can get a solder pot, or you can turn up your soldering iron temp and see if that works.  the soldering pot option is easier though.  
     Where would the black and white go ? Thanks                                                                                                                                                                                                      

If you want to figure out what color goes where test for continuity with a multimeter.  Set your meter to the ohms setting and touch the wires. If the meter reads 0, you are touching the same wire on both sides.  If the other side of the cable is already connected to the sennheiser connector, than the pin is + and the shield is -.

Hope this answers some questions.  

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #3,836 of 10,535
Thanks ,that i figured out  .Now problem is that solder is not sticking to Cardas  copper wire regular wire there's no problems tinning any suggestions. Thanks

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #3,837 of 10,535
Thanks ,that i figured out  .Now problem is that solder is not sticking to Cardas  copper wire regular wire there's no problems tinning any suggestions. Thanks

You're using lead free silver solder. It's going to have a higher melting point and is generally more difficult to solder using. Check the specs on it and set your temp accordingly.

I'd recommend trying the Cardas quad eutectic silver solder. You can pick up smaller quantities on ebay to sample.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,838 of 10,535
Finally managed to get solder to melt and stick .Thanks everyone for your input .By the way heres wiring for Senns HD800 using Cardas blue cable 4x24 to a Neutrik 4 pin XLR                                                                                                                                                              

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,839 of 10,535

Been lurking for a good while trying to find ideas for what to use to re cable my Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset. Not a lot of folks share headset re-cable. Thanks to this forum I worked up the courage to do it. Got tired of having to fix a $400 headset..... I have a good bit of experience soldering, I use a JBC CD-B station. I guess it was taking the plunge to purchase the Mogami 2534, removing the sheathing and re sleeve it with para-cord. I used #95 para-cord. 6 strand round braid and a couple of radio shack TRS connectors. If you were like me and a bit worried about doing it to a headset, have no fear. I see that the gallery is now locked :frowning2:, so I figured I would share it on here to help someone else that may be looking for the same information. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,840 of 10,535

Been lurking for a good while trying to find ideas for what to use to re cable my Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset. Not a lot of folks share headset re-cable. Thanks to this forum I worked up the courage to do it. Got tired of having to fix a $400 headset..... I have a good bit of experience soldering, I use a JBC CD-B station. I guess it was taking the plunge to purchase the Mogami 2534, removing the sheathing and re sleeve it with para-cord. I used #95 para-cord. 6 strand round braid and a couple of radio shack TRS connectors. If you were like me and a bit worried about doing it to a headset, have no fear. I see that the gallery is now locked :frowning2:, so I figured I would share it on here to help someone else that may be looking for the same information. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

That looks great, well done!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back